Honey is endowed with enormous therapeutic, prophylactic and cosmetic potential. Sweet nectar is useful not only for human consumption, but also for external use – as part of homemade compresses or natural cosmetics.
Hair masks with honey are nutritious, well relieve inflammation, strengthen the strands, heal the scalp and the bulbs.
Honey is replete with nutrients and trace elements, which play an important role in the functioning of the human body. It is considered a universal remedy for many diseases and skin problems. Honey is highly appreciated by lovers of natural hair cosmetics.
Honey masks are able to improve the condition and appearance of curls, and most importantly – they are suitable for use at any age and for any type of hair.
Honey is highly valued for its properties, thanks to which it is used for a variety of purposes. It is used as food or as a useful substitute for sugar. It helps treat colds, as well as some diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, such as colitis.
It also helps in the treatment of various skin diseases. It is no less valued as an effective and affordable cosmetic product – honey is used as part of nourishing and therapeutic masks for skin and hair.
To make the right choice, you need to know some of the distinctive features that are characteristic of natural honey. By the following features, you can determine the quality of the product.
- Price. The minimum price for high-quality honey starts from about 100-150 rubles per 1 kg (as of June 2017).
- Colour. Different varieties have their own special shades. However, honey should not be too white or too dark.
- Smell. This honey has a rich and bright aroma, while the fake smell is very faint or completely absent.
- Taste. Natural nectar is completely melted in the mouth, while not even small crystals or “sand” remain. Honey should not taste bitter.
- Aftertaste. Another feature of natural honey is that it slightly irritates the throat.
These are the main “obvious” distinctive features that you can pay attention to when buying honey. It is a mistake to believe that any shop honey will be suitable for a homemade mask. The quality and naturalness of the product directly affect its medicinal and cosmetic properties.
A mask with honey for hair will be useful only if it is made from a real bee product.
Honey is saturated with beneficial substances and microelements. They are contained in it in small quantities, however, this is offset by their diversity.
The following substances in the composition of honey are of particular importance for the development and nutrition of follicles.
- Zinc. Promotes the production of collagen, which serves as a building material for hair. Regulates the sebaceous glands, and also supports the normal breathing of tissues. Plays a big role in strengthening hair.
- Sulfur. Participates in the production of keratin and prevents premature hair loss. Along with zinc is a strong antioxidant.
- Magnesium. Helps natural hair growth and reduces hair loss.
- Potassium. It actively supports the vital activity of cells, participates in the conduction of nerve impulses and in the intercellular metabolism. The lack of mineral often leads to increased hair loss.
- Vitamin A. Stimulates hair growth, is involved in strengthening the hair follicles, and, consequently, the structure of the hair itself. Protects skin and hair from ultraviolet. Participates in the creation of keratin.
- Vitamin E. Facilitates the “transportation” of nutrients and oxygen into the cells, thereby improving hair growth. Eliminates inflammation, protects cells from ultraviolet rays.
- Vitamin C. Improves blood circulation and metabolism, improves the nutrition of follicles. Prevents dandruff and dry hair.
Hair masks with honey: healing and cosmetic effects
All vitamins, trace elements and minerals in honey make up a single complex, which has a positive effect on many factors affecting the condition of the hair. The main use of honey for hair is as follows.
- Protection. Honey forms a thin film on the hair shaft, which protects the hair from ultraviolet radiation and external factors.
- Glitter and smoothness. During the procedure, honey completely envelops the hair, pressing the “scales”, due to which it is useful for splitting hair. It also enhances shine, curls become smoother and softer.
- Antiseptic properties. Natural nectar relieves inflammation, has antifungal and antiseptic effects, helps eliminate dandruff.
- Nutrition. Honey nourishes hair follicles with nutrients, hair grows stronger and healthier.
By itself, honey does not have a high “patency” through the layers of the epidermis, therefore, useful substances penetrate to the hair sacs in a small amount. The principle of “accumulation” works in honey masks – they will be most useful if you make them courses.
But it is possible to increase the absorption of substances with the help of such components of the mask, as, for example, onions, cognac or dimexide.
According to reviews of those who in practice are familiar with honey masks, such procedures are perfectly safe and can be used at any age. But honey is one of the strong allergens, which is why it should not be used by people with hypersensitivity of the skin and allergies.
Honey allergy can manifest itself in a variety of ways, for example, in the form of a rash, itching, dizziness, nausea, fever. Such a reaction can occur not only when it is eaten, but also when used externally.
Homemade masks are prepared very simply, but knowledge of some of the nuances of preparation will help unleash the whole useful and nutritional potential of the mixture. To get the maximum benefit and pleasure from the honey procedure, you need to follow the following rules.
- Brush hair. This must be done before shampooing so that the hair does not become tangled even more during the procedure.
- Prepare a mask before the procedure. The nutritional formula must be absolutely fresh. Before each procedure, you need to prepare a new mask. During storage, the mask loses its consistency, many useful substances “evaporate”, their activity decreases.
- Properly melt the hardened honey. It is believed that honey can not be heated even to 40 ° C – this leads to the destruction of many nutrients. At high temperatures, a carcinogen is released in small quantities. In order not to risk and not extinguish the temperature, honey can be easily melted with a small amount of warm water. Add it to honey and mash it with a spoon.
- Warm up the mask in a water bath. This is done before adding honey. The mixture should be slightly warm, its temperature should not exceed the body temperature.
- Before the procedure, wash and dry hair. So honey will be better absorbed into the skin. You need to wash your hair without using a rinse balm. If you apply a mask on unwashed hair, the nutrients will not be able to “get through” through the greasy film on the skin surface.
- To warm the head with polyethylene and a cap. This is done after applying the mixture. For what you can take the usual food wrap and wrap her head with her hair. Put on a warm hat on top or cover your head with a towel. This activates the metabolism and improves the absorption of the elements of the mask. This is especially important in the recipes mask with honey for hair growth, where the scalp during the procedure should be warm.
- Keep a mask on your head for about an hour. Recommended unless otherwise indicated in the recipe. Extend the time of the procedure does not make sense – experts believe that the beneficial substances from honey are absorbed into the skin for about half an hour.
- Rinse with regular shampoo. Honey is very soluble in water, so there will be no problems with flushing. You can use hair balm.
Mask of honey for hair at home is prepared very simply and does not require a lot of time. Honey can be added to a wide variety of hair formulations. In many masks, it acts as an auxiliary ingredient.
But there are also many recipes where bee nectar is the basis of the mask. To adapt the procedure to the needs of your curls, you need to choose a mask with the most appropriate composition.
However, to understand how this or that hair mask with honey suits you is possible only in practice.
Act. Prevents hair loss, strengthens hair follicles, improves growth.
- Measure out one large spoonful of burdock oil and pour it into a bowl.
- Beat the egg yolk and add to the butter.
- Honey in the amount of one large spoon should be mixed with the contents of the bowl.
- Add one large spoonful of brandy and mix the ingredients.
- Because of cognac, the mask should be held no longer than 30 minutes in order not to overdry the scalp.
Act. Honey in combination with cinnamon has a lightening effect.
Cinnamon has a warming effect, increases blood flow to the scalp, thereby improving the nutrition of the follicles. During the procedure, strong heat can be felt, but there should be no significant burning sensation.
- Beat one chicken egg to a smooth consistency.
- Mix it with two large spoons of burdock oil and one big spoon of honey.
- Pour into the mixture a large spoonful of cinnamon, mix and gently apply to the roots and the entire length of hair. Try not to stain your skin.
- Cinnamon irritates the skin, so the mask can not be held for more than one hour. It is advisable to repeat this mask no more than twice a week.
Act. Lemon gently dries the skin and curls, making them look cleaner and tidy.
Such a mask can have a slight lightening effect.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from both halves.
- Mix a large spoonful of honey, burdock or olive oil and egg yolk and pour lemon juice into the mixture.
- Distribute the composition of the skin and hair length, for convenience, you can use a hair brush with natural bristles.
- Keep no longer than an hour, then wash your hair with shampoo. It is advisable to use a balm to compensate for the effect of lemon.
Act. Yeast is considered a good growth promoter.
They contain many vitamins, for example, B vitamins, as well as protein, which serves as a building material for all cells, including horny.
- For the mask fit any yeast. Measure out their two little spoons.
- Stir the yeast in two large spoons of warm milk and leave to infuse for one hour.
- After an hour, put two large spoons of honey into the mixture and mix well.
- Rub into the roots first, then spread the mask along the length of the hair. The procedure lasts one hour.
Act. Mustard has an irritating effect, due to which the blood flow to the follicles increases, metabolism is stimulated. Roots get more intense nutrition, their growth and appearance improve.
Effective to increase hair density.
- In two large spoons of honey add the same mustard powder and milk.
- You can put one small spoonful of aloe on the mask for an anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effect.
- You can keep the mask for no longer than half an hour, then rinse your head thoroughly with water and shampoo.
For an additional effect, after removing the mask, you can rinse your hair with slightly warm herbal decoction. This will give your hair more shine, make hair softer.
Honey hair mask can give a light golden hue to the curls, some infusions have the same property. For example, oak decoction will give your hair a golden hue, and chamomile is suitable for blondes.
The first thing that is particularly striking is the hair shine. No purchased masks did not contribute to this effect, even intended for that purpose.
Also to the touch hair becomes very soft and tender. A small minus for me is that honey does not smooth hair, unlike masks from oils in its pure form.
Therefore, it is necessary to alternate – I do not use ironing, and I consider the light waves on my hair to be my problem.
For me, this is a lot of benefits after use. Hair mask makes it more durable and at the same time softens it. It looks and feels completely different (as immediately after washing, and a week later).
I can not say anything about whether the mask affects hair growth, since this factor is generally very difficult to monitor (especially when it stopped dyeing hair). But I am sure that there will be no harm exactly.
Hair after such a procedure becomes soft and silky. Do not believe it, but after the first application, the shade has changed a little.
Especially at the roots of the hair.
The most important thing is that there is no allergy to the components, and I advise you very much. Minus one: honey flows and everything sticks, but you can suffer.
The most important thing is to find good natural honey. I bought several types of honey at fairs several times – no sense … no!
The result was only from the honey that relatives brought to us from the village. Even the simplest varieties of agricultural honey transformed hair, unlike expensive honey varieties from the fair.