Excommunication of the child from breastfeeding can occur at different ages of the baby. In search of suitable ways, nursing mothers part with their babies for several days, drag their breasts, smear it with brilliant green or mustard.
But regardless of the age of the crumbs, there are ways how to wean him carefully and calmly.
Breast milk is an important source of energy and nutrients. This judgment is relevant both in the first year of life of the infant, and throughout the entire period of feeding.
But such an ideal situation becomes a reality not for all moms. Life makes its own adjustments, and sometimes the decision about weaning is born contrary to the wishes of the mother and child. There are a number of objective circumstances that prevent the continuation of breastfeeding.
If they are neglected, you can face a significant risk to the health of the baby and his mother. These situations include:
- treatment with drugs that are incompatible with lactation. When there is no possibility to choose a safe analogue, it makes sense to temporarily or permanently finish feeding the baby. If short-term medication is required, if desired, the woman can maintain lactation during the treatment period. This will allow her to continue breastfeeding after recovery;
- long-term therapy with the participation of toxic drugs. If a nursing mother is shown a serious and prolonged treatment, and it is impossible to find a harmless replacement of prescribed drugs, it is worth finishing the feeding;
- hospitalization of a mother or child for a long time. Separation from the baby because of his or her mom’s illness can be delayed for weeks and months. In addition, the physical and psychological state of a woman does not always allow her to maintain milk production in the absence of a child.
If we talk about specific diseases, absolute contraindications to the continuation of breastfeeding by the mother are:
- HIV infection;
- active tuberculosis;
- septic conditions;
- typhoid fever;
- kidney disease and kidney failure with azotemia;
- severe depressive states and psychological disorders.
It happens that a mother wants to stop feeding her baby with breast milk for other reasons. They are closely related to violations of the behavior of the baby and the characteristics of his upbringing. Then, often after weaning, problems in the relationship between the mother and her child do not disappear.
On the contrary, the situation may even worsen.
By the year the child should already fully eat food from the plate. Breast milk remains an important supplement to its diet.
It does not lose its value and nutritional properties, even when the crumbs are two, three years old and in any other period of his life.
But sometimes the benefits of breast milk are eclipsed by the opinion that feeding after a year is the cause of poor appetite of grown crumbs. Frequent sucking, “hanging” on the chest, partial or complete abandonment of adult food disturb the mother and make you think about how to finish breastfeeding.
After all, a woman sincerely believes that the completion of lactation will solve the issue of low appetite.
However, before such an important step as weaning a child from the breast, it is worth understanding the reason for the situation. If the baby almost completely refuses to lure, it is important to assess the level of its hemoglobin. To do this, pass a complete blood count.
A pronounced decrease in craving for food often accompanies anemia. In this case, weaning is dangerous for the child, because he completely ceases to receive food.
He needs treatment, and mother’s milk will support him in the process of recovery.
With normal hemoglobin, loss of appetite is associated with a lack of food interest or a violation of eating habits. If such a baby is weaned, he may begin to eat from hopelessness. Or maybe not start.
And not because it does mischief, but because of the lack of a ligament in his mind: “hunger is food from a plate”. These children need time to learn how to eat.
Mom’s milk will give confidence that in this period the crumb will not go hungry.
Sometimes the decision to excommunicate a child at the age of 1 is associated with the desire of the mother to finally get enough sleep. It is believed that after the completion of feeding the baby does not wake up at night at all.
But it is not.
Of course, the child can be taught to sleep all night long. And for this there are many ways, but they are not always useful for the baby. Some parents do notice an improvement in the slumber night’s sleep after weaning.
And other children continue to wake up at night. But before her mother had a “magical” way to calm her down – chest.
Now, however, it will require more force for rocking, singing and consolation of the awakened offspring.
If a child of a working mother is older than a year, in her absence he safely eats regular food. In the evening, at night and in the morning it is applied to the chest.
This greatly enriches his diet and supports health.
In addition, close contact with the mother during feeding helps the baby to replenish the hours of separation. Even in the case of a business trip it is not necessary to immediately curtail lactation.
And if you feel chest overcrowding, you should simply slip your hands over it until relief.
Some kindergartens are reluctant to accept babies who are fed mother’s milk. It is believed that they are strongly attached to the mother and can not do without her.
And even more so sleep on their own.
However, it is important to understand that breastfeeding a newborn and an older child is significantly different. At 1.5-2 years old, the baby usually already has the experience of falling asleep without a mother.
The need to end the relationship of the baby with her mother’s breast can appear at any age of the crumbs. But, in general, the weaning algorithm will be about the same for different stages of a child’s life.
How to wean a baby from breastfeeding? Consider the six steps.
- Remove intermediate attachments during the day. It’s about sucking when the baby is upset and wants to be comforted. Feeding “pods” are replaced by hugs, kisses and other types of sympathy. It also refers to the chaotic application of boredom. It is worth distracting and occupying the child with something fascinating. If the mother suspects that sucking is caused by a feeling of hunger or thirst, it is time to offer a suitable alternative to the breast.
- Remove feeding for day waking. As soon as the baby shows signs of awakening, you need to distract him from the thoughts about her mother’s breast. Conveniently, if someone other than mom can stay with him at this moment. After all, if she is near, the crumbs will be difficult to understand why she suddenly refuses him.
- Remove suck on daytime sleep. This will help the rituals. The child must get used to a certain sequence of actions before bedtime. For example: ate, washed, read a book, kissed, stroked, gave a breast, fell asleep. Gradually, as you get used to it, you can remove one link – attachment to the chest.
- Replace the application for morning spillage. Actions will be the same as in the second paragraph.
- Stop feeding before bedtime. Here also rituals will come to the rescue: evening water procedures, lullaby, motion sickness and so on. First, in this chain will be a link called “sucking”. Gradually, it will be possible to shorten its duration, and then completely eliminate it.
- Say goodbye to night feedings. As a rule, they “leave” at the very least. In advance, you need to teach your child to calm down and fall back into sleep without a breast (kiss, stroke, hum, rock).
The transition to each subsequent stage occurs smoothly and only after the successful completion of the previous steps. This will ensure the success of the whole event and allow the child and mother to calmly adapt to the new way of life.
The duration of weaning depends on many factors, including the age of the crumbs. On average, this process can take from a couple of weeks to several months.
Tugging and pills: what not to do moms
When it comes to how to properly wean the baby from breastfeeding, it means not only the comfort of this process for the infant itself. A nursing woman should also look after her well-being.
It is important to avoid painful sensations in the area of the breast, its overflow and severity.
However, one can still find a recommendation about breast pulling. Moms believe that dressing the bust can slow down or completely stop the production of milk. In fact, tight dressing can injure or transmit ducts, thereby causing milk to stagnate.
If it is not removed in time, an inflammatory process will develop in a few days – mastitis.
Milk secretion is associated with hormonal processes in a woman’s body. The more often you apply or decant, the more milk will appear.
If yesterday the mother fed her child several times a day, and today the access to the breast has sharply restricted, milk production is not interrupted. Therefore, if you suddenly stop the emptying of the gland in the usual way, there is a high probability of facing stagnation.
Additional pressure on the chest in the form of a tight bandage increases this risk.
As the number of attachments decreases and their duration, the mother’s body receives less and less incentives to produce milk. Its quantity decreases smoothly and gradually.
And, in the end, it disappears.
Weaning is a significant and difficult stage in the life of the mother and child. Sooner or later, every mother thinks about how to stop breastfeeding.
But, regardless of the circumstances and the age of the crumbs, you can always try to complete the feeding carefully and as comfortably as possible for both parties.