Tea is the most popular drink on the planet after water. And the range is impressive: the world knows several thousand species. People appreciate this drink not only because of the taste.
An important criterion: the impact on the body. Black tea invigorates and improves blood circulation.
Green – strengthens the immune system and acts as an antioxidant. And what is known about red tea, what are the benefits and harms of hibiscus?
Karkade – herbal tea drink. In Russia, it is known as drinking a bright red color with a characteristic sourness. Tea leaves are flowers of Sudanese rose.
This plant in different countries is called differently: mallow, rosalia, Chinese rose, Sudanese tea, Jamaican flower. In botany, it is called hibiscus and belongs to the family Malvaceae.
The plant is of Indian origin, but today it is widespread throughout the world. There are over a hundred species of sudan roses.
Most of them are unpretentious, and can grow even on your windowsill. Interestingly, hibiscus flowers can be white and even blue.
The plant is used not only for the preparation of drinking. Desserts and side dishes are made from hibiscus petals, flowers are added to salads.
The plant is used as a natural dye, fertilizer, use for pharmaceutical purposes and medicine.
Hibiscus flower drink is the national drink of Egypt. In local climatic conditions, the fact that the hibiscus copes well with thirst is especially appreciated.
And the ancient Egyptians considered the plant a source of vitality. Hibiscus flowers are even found in notable tombs.
Hibiscus has become an integral part of the culture of the state of Hawaii. On the islands of Sudanese rose – a symbol of female beauty.
It is customary to decorate this flower hairstyle. Often famous Hawaiian “beads” are made from it.
Carcade especially popular in hot countries. In our area, according to producer statistics, the drink is still inferior to the primacy of black and green teas, coffee, and even herbal tea.
But, in the opinion of lovers of decoctions of the Chinese rose, this situation is unfair. After all, the drink not only has an unusual taste – the health benefits of karkade are invaluable.
Heart Benefits, Cancer Protection, Immunity Armor
What is useful karkade tea yet? In a drink from Sudanese rose, there is a whole set of vitamins, amino acids, macro- and microelements, fruit acids, “good” carbohydrates.
All these substances have a positive effect on the human body.
- Rejuvenates, reduces the risk of cancer. Antioxidants contained in the drink, promote cell renewal, protect the body from radical particles. As a result, a “barrier” appears for the formation of tumors, the aging of organs and tissues. In addition, the substance pectin adsorbs toxins and salts of heavy metals, painlessly removing them from the body. There is evidence that carcade helps even get rid of parasites.
- Strengthens blood vessels. The red color of hibiscus is due to the presence of pigment substances called anthocyanins. Once in the human body, they regulate the permeability of the walls of blood vessels.
- Prevents colds, SARS. Immunity from viruses and additional forces to the body are given by citric and ascorbic acids. In cases where a person is already cold, hibiscus is used as a febrifuge.
- Reduces cholesterol. Linoleic acid, contained in hibiscus, prevents the formation of plaques in the vessels, removes excess fat.
Unfortunately, sometimes the useful properties of the carcade are interpreted incorrectly. Misconceptions about how the drink affects the body can lead to bad consequences.
Therefore, it is important to understand where the truth and where the myths. Here are five key questions about the benefits of red tea and the answers to them.
- Does karkade help you lose weight? Slimming and carcade have no direct connection. Tea from the Chinese rose does not burn calories and does not relieve the feeling of hunger. On the contrary, in some countries they drink it before meals to increase the appetite. The decrease in body weight when using carcade can only be due to its diuretic effect. Well, of course, normalizing cholesterol, the drink helps to improve metabolism.
- Hibiscus tea increases or lowers blood pressure? There is a misconception that red tea is useful for both hypertensive and hypotensive. Like, if you drink hot hibiscus, the pressure rises. And if you cool the drink, the pressure will drop. In fact, the temperature of the liquid does not matter and does not change the composition of the tea. Here the answer is one: karkade for medicinal purposes can only be drunk with hypertension. High pressure returns to normal due to the content in the drink of vitamin P, flavonoids, carbolic and gamma-linolenic acid. How to drink carcade under pressure to see the result? On the day of hypertension can brew more than three cups of this drink. With this position, drinking in the effect menu can be expected in a month and a half.
- Does the hibiscus hold or relax the chair? There is an opinion that the problem of constipation arises with the regular use of karkad. This is not true. The drink, in contrast, has a laxative effect and gently normalizes stools.
- Can karkade during pregnancy? Not desirable. Pregnancy refers to contraindications to the use of red tea. Drink can cause uterine contractions and miscarriage. Also in the carcade there are substances that can provoke defects at the stage of the formation of the fetus.
- Is karkad allowed for diabetes? Yes, and even useful. The product is recommended for diabetics of the second type in the treatment, as well as for the prevention of type 1 diabetes. If you drink the decoction of the Chinese rose, not sweetened, the drink regulates blood sugar levels.
Making hibiscus tea is easy. Dried leaves of Sudanese roses are sold in pharmacies and grocery stores. Houses mallow flowers just pour boiling water.
The proportions are as follows: a teaspoon of tea leaves per cup of boiling water. Infused drink from five to ten minutes.
You can not insist, and “cook” tea. To do this, pour the karkade with cold water and put the container on fire.
After boiling, the drink is kept on the stove for another three to five minutes. Red tea can be drunk without sugar, and you can sweeten, add honey.
The peculiarity of the drink is that it is customary to drink it cold. In the summer, they even use karkade instead of juices and compotes.
To get delicious cold red tea, you can simply cool the already brewed drink, add ice cubes to the cup.
There is another recipe. If you pour the leaves of the Chinese rose with cold water and leave for the night, then in the morning in the jug you will have to wait for a rich sweet-and-sour cool hibiscus.
Hibiscus can be used in its pure form, and you can combine petals with other useful plants. For example, mint, wild rose or even green tea leaves are added to the hibiscus tea.
You can also enrich the drink with spices – cinnamon or cloves. Add pieces of citrus and other fruits to red tea.
Selection rules, storage conditions and precautions
When choosing red tea, give preference to packages with whole petals without additives. If necessary, at home you can chop the flowers of hibiscus.
It will be more correct than buying a packaged carcade. They say that Chinese and Indian carcade are tastier than others.
After unpacking, it is better to pour hibiscus leaves into a glass jar. Also, this tea can be stored in fabric bags.
Usually the shelf life of a good karkade is at least three years.
Unfortunately, not everyone is recommended to drink a drink from a Chinese rose. Harm to carcade can cause people prone to allergies.
As well as those who are diagnosed with gastritis, acidity, ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract.