Treating Salmonella Naturally During Pregnancy
Home / Naturally / Treating Salmonella Naturally During Pregnancy
How to Treat Salmonella Naturally During Pregnancy
Salmonella, officially Salmonellosis, is a type of food poisoning caused by the genus of bacteria Salmonella.
Salmonellosis is unpleasant enough, but if contracted during pregnancy, the effects can be serious and even life-threatening. Contracting Salmonella while expecting leads many mothers to ask the questions, how do you treat salmonella naturally during pregnancy?
Unfortunately, Salmonellosis does not have any natural treatments. The body often takes care of itself in eradicating the bacteria, however, there are greater risks for pregnant women demanding that medical attention is sought.
Salmonellosis can be contracted in one of two ways:
- Coming in contact with an infected animal
- Consuming infected foods
Infected animals can spread the bacteria Salmonella through their feces, through the soil or water they occupy, through their food, and through their bedding. Household pets can be carriers for Salmonella, so it is important to use caution when handling animals. Animals that are the most common carriers of the bacteria include reptiles (turtles, lizards, snakes, etc.) and poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, etc.).
One of the better-known ways to contract Salmonella is through foods that are infected with the bacteria.
There are several foods that are the most common types of food, which contain Salmonella and should be avoided:
- Raw or undercooked poultry, meat, and fish
- Raw or undercooked eggs or foods made with eggs
- Unpasteurized milk, milk products and juice, or foods made from them.
- Food that comes in contact with animal poop in the soil or water where it grow
- Food that comes into contact with Salmonella while you’re preparing it
The symptoms of Salmonellosis can take a few hours or up to a few days to present after coming in contact with the bacteria.
The Following Symptoms Could Indicate Salmonellosis:
Although Salmonellosis typically resolves itself on its own, it can present many problems for pregnant women. Issues that Pregnant Women Face with Salmonellosis:
- Extreme Dehydration
- Bacteremia (bacteria in the bloodstream)
- Meningitis caused from bacteremia
- Reactive arthritis
As you can imagine, these are serious issues. What’s more concerning is that Salmonellosis can be transferred from mother to child, so, if you think you may have this condition, it is important to seek help right away. Your baby would be receptive to meningitis, which could be life-threatening.
We do not recommend trying to treat Salmonellosis naturally during pregnancy. Instead, it is best to take precautions to prevent contracting Salmonellosis.
- Practice Safe Food Handling – Wash foods before eating them, and be careful to avoid cross-contamination between different foods while cooking.
- Wash Your Hands Often – Take the extra effort to wash your hands throughout the day especially if you come in contact with animals or raw foods.
- Cook Foods Thoroughly – For food-borne Salmonella, the bacteria can be killed by cooking foods thoroughly and pasteurizing milk and juices.
These are a couple options that your doctor may prescribe to alleviate your symptoms and fight the bacterial infection:
- Antibiotics – Antibiotics might be prescribed in cases of bacteremia when the bacteria spread to the bloodstream.
- Replenishing Fluids – If you are severely dehydrated from diarrhea, your doctor may recommend that you receive IV fluids to replace your fluid intake quickly.
There is the risk to the health and wellness of your baby. Although more than likely your body will rid itself of salmonellosis on its own, the risks to the baby create the expectation that you seek immediate medical attention.
Contents How Do You Treat West Nile Virus Naturally During Pregnancy? Treating West Nile Virus Naturally During Pregnancy How to Prevent the West Nile…
How to Treat Giardia Infections Naturally During Pregnancy Home / Naturally / How to Treat Giardia Infections Naturally During Pregnancy How Do You Treat…
Contents How do you treat lactose intolerance naturally during pregnancy? How to Treat Lactose Intolerance Naturally during Pregnancy Treating Lactose…
Contents How do you treat stress naturally during pregnancy? How to Treat Stress when Naturally Doesn t Work How to Treat Stress Naturally During…
How to Treat Scabies Naturally During Pregnancy Home / Naturally / How to Treat Scabies Naturally During Pregnancy Scabies is caused when Sarcoptes…