Is it possible to have a babe on her stomach and how safe is this pose: all the pros and cons
In the first weeks of life, babies are defenseless and need constant monitoring by their parents. With special responsibility, one should approach the choice of a position for sleeping a baby. Most often pediatricians recommend putting the baby on the barrel or back. Many young mothers are interested in the question of whether a newborn can sleep on the stomach. Consider the main dangers and limitations of this position.
Is it possible to have a baby on my stomach? A single-valued answer to the question can not be found. Earlier in the maternity hospitals from the birth of putting kids on the stomach, now only a few will agree with such actions. This is due to the syndrome of sudden infant mortality: according to the studies conducted, this situation at the age of up to one year becomes one of the main causes of this phenomenon.
Evgeny Olegovich Komarovsky points out several factors provoking SIDS:
- dry warm air (at temperatures above 23 ° C);
- overheating of the baby;
- clogging of the respiratory tract by food or mucus formed by mucus;
- soft mattress or sleep on the pillow;
- The presence in the crib of soft toys and other items that contribute to the accumulation of dust.
Do not worry too much about your child - just watch him for two or three days to understand that the baby is able to help himself. Making sure of this fact (this is an important point), you should give him a little more freedom, occasionally monitoring his condition.
Knowledge base for advanced moms:
One of the main arguments in favor of the situation on the stomach from birth was a more peaceful sleep of the child. However, the quality of rest is influenced by many factors, and the task of parents is to provide them:
- Rigid mattress , who calmly withstands the weight of the child and will not let him suffocate.
- Absence of a pillow and soft toys in the crib, accumulating dust and capable of causing suffocation.
- Baby's health. Nasal passages should be clean, absence of diseases also promotes more high-grade rest.
- Microclimate. The temperature in the room should not exceed 22 ° C, ideally during sleep it should be about 18 ° C. Humidity should be maintained at a level of 50-70%.
- Baby clothes. Do not wrap the baby too much. If you wish or suspect that he is frozen, you can always cover it with an additional coverlet. Stitches and fasteners on clothes should not cause discomfort to the baby.
- Lighting. During the rest in the room you need to turn off all the lights. For mother, waking up at the call of the child, there will be enough street lamp or night light.
- Relative silence. It is not necessary to teach a newborn to absolute silence, otherwise it will be hard for the whole family later, but sharp and very loud sounds should be avoided.
- A strengthened child , who knows how to turn over himself, do not need to artificially limit the choice of poses for recreation. If he likes to sleep on his stomach, and the level of his development allows you to raise your head and avoid suffocation, there is no reason for the ban.