Muscular dystonia in infants
Violation of muscle tone – a fairly common phenomenon for children under the age of one year. Attentive parents will immediately notice that something is wrong with the baby. His muscles are too tight, which prevents some movements or, on the contrary, lead to too early turning and sitting.
Doctors call this phenomenon simply – a syndrome of muscular dystonia in newborns. This diagnosis – one of the most popular, placed babies. Most parents begin to worry when they hear an unpleasant diagnosis from the doctor or presume it on their own, but not always it means something terrible.
Muscular dystonia in the baby can manifest itself in the form of hypertonia, when the child’s muscles are unnecessarily tense, and hypotonia – excessive relaxation of the muscle tone. A feature of hypertension is the fact that the lower limbs are usually struck more than the hands. Susceptible dystonia can be muscle only in one part of the body or evenly with both, a hypotonic can be detected in the upper or lower body of the baby.
Like any disease, the syndrome of muscular dystonia is caused by various causes. The main reason doctors consider perinatal encephalopathy or a standard lesion of the baby’s brain during fetal development or during childbirth. There are many factors that can influence the onset of pathology:
- diagnosed polyhydramnios in the period of gestation;
- severe bleeding during labor;
- various threats of miscarriage;
- prolonged and pronounced toxicosis in women;
- alcohol consumption during childbearing or smoking;
- non-standard duration of labor – rapid or too long;
- prolonged stay of the baby in the womb without water;
- exfoliation of the placenta;
- intrauterine umbilical cord embryo, especially repeated;
- chronic fetal hypoxia;
- the use of anesthesia during childbirth, the birth of a child by caesarean section.