Breast pads for feeding: the pros and cons of using linings
The value of natural feeding is unlikely to be challenged by anyone. Nevertheless, some women experience difficulties in the process of breastfeeding, such as: pain in the nipples or discomfort during the application. Not understanding the problem and the ways to solve it, moms often rush to buy pads for breastfeeding. Let’s understand the topic.
All about breast pads with breastfeeding
Breast pads for feeding are special latex or silicone products, the purpose of which is to facilitate the process of breastfeeding.
Unfortunately, the unjustified use of linings often not only does not solve the existing problem, but also generates certain violations of the whole process of breastfeeding.
- The formation of lactation. At first, breastfeeding can be very painful. The main mistake is the wrong attachment to the chest, as a result of which the baby sucks, causing unpleasant sensations.
- The kid refuses the mother’s breast. If a long time mother expressed her milk and gave it to the baby from the bottle, then the baby will start to prefer the bottle, because it is much easier to eat milk from the bottle than from the mother’s breast: in order to get milk, it is necessary to exert much more effort than during the meal from the bottle. The nipple pads in form and stiffness resemble the bottle nipple, so when switching from bottle to breast feeding, the use of lining can be appropriate (we read about how to accustom a child to the breast after a bottle).
- Cracks in the nipples, accompanied by intolerable pain during feeding (About cracks in the nipples and how to feed).
- Severe birth injuries, leading to a delayed development of the nervous system in the child, are the cause of sluggish or improper sucking. In this case, the breast straps are used for training sucking.
- Preterm, debilitated children the first time after birth is not enough strength for sucking milk. Because of this, there is insufficient emptying of the breast and hypotrophy (weight loss) in the child.
- Teething. During teething, babies are especially moody and restless, and try to scratch the gums with any object, including the mother’s nipple. Babies often bite their breasts during feeding, which is undoubtedly very unpleasant and painful. Save the nipples from bites sometimes help the lining of the chest for feeding.
- Anomalies of the structure of the nipple: flat, retracted or too large nipple.
- Anomalies in the structure of the mouth in a child; shortened bridle.
First, it's important to decide on the size. If there is a possibility, you need to choose overlays of different sizes and manufacturers, and to measure. In this case the nipple should be in a stressed state. If the baby is premature, it is better to take small patches, but you need to be sure that they will go to the nipple.
Nipple pads should be easy to put on at the base of the nipple, repeating its shape. The front of the nipple should not fit snugly to the patch, this occurs only after the baby has started sucking. Then the nipple should touch the holes in the patch. If the nipple does not fill the entire lining cavity during feeding, it means it is large. If there is a feeling of friction and contraction - small.
Today, the pads for nipples made of rubber and latex are considered low-quality due to the roughness of the material and possible allergic reactions. The best material for protective pads now is silicone. It provides the fineness of the product and significantly reduces the risk of allergies. The feeling of warmth during feeding, the feeling of the arrival of milk suggests that the lining is made correctly.
- Before the first use, the patch should be sterilized.
- It is necessary to bring the nipple into an excited state, unscrew the patch, and applying it to the nipple, wrap it back to the breast so that it densely sits in the shape of the breast.
- It will be more convenient to wear a slightly wet pad, so it will sit tight.
- To a child wanted to take a breast with an overlay, you can drop a little milk on it.
- The cutout of the lining should be at the top, there will be the baby's nose.
- Sucking with an overlay should be the same as without it: the child's mouth is wide open and the lips wrap around the chest over the halos.
The market offers a large selection of protective linings for feeding from different manufacturers. Price for a pair of items in the kit; from 100 rubles and above, depends on the quality of the material, the country of the manufacturer and the brand.
Of course, when there is a question about the health of the baby, it is better to give preference to proven brands that painstakingly develop products for children. Such firms, as a rule, do not spare money for numerous tests and studies, which gives a guarantee of product safety. Protective pads for breastfeeding, which are more popular and trusted by consumers, are somewhat more expensive. Their price varies between 300 and 500 rubles.
View prices, read reviews and descriptions, select and buy overlays can be on the site of the online store BABADY.RU or online store OBJECTIVES
Like the usual pacifier, the patch should always be kept clean in order to avoid various infections in the baby. Frequent boiling of silicone and latex accessories is not recommended, since the polymer becomes rigid from them.