Mastitis in a nursing mother: symptoms and treatment
Lactation (postnatal) mastitis is an inflammatory disease of the mammary glands that occurs during the breastfeeding phase. Most often, the disease occurs in primiparous women in the first weeks of lactation, as well as during weaning. Mastitis during breastfeeding is caused by pathogenic microorganisms (Staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus).
- Microcracks of the nipples. The entrance gate for microbes that cause mastitis is the nipple. Therefore, any inflammatory diseases with microcracks on the nipples (for example, breast milk) can lead to the spread of infection in the mammary gland. (read the article about the breasts).
- Unprepared nipples for feeding.
- The postpartum period in women is accompanied by: a) hormonal changes, b) a decrease in immune forces; which can also lead to mastitis.
- Failure to comply with basic standards of breast hygiene.
- The presence of tumors in the mammary gland.
- Lactostasis. After delivery, the breast swells strongly, as the first inflow of milk takes place. In this case, the baby can eat little more or do not take the breast at all, which leads to milk stagnation in the mammary gland; This is the most common cause of mastitis in a nursing mother.We read about lactostasis
- Мастит при лактации не является причиной того, чтобы срочно прекращать кормление малыша грудью. Категорически запрещено применять какие-либо средства или препараты для угнетения лактации, ограничиваться в приеме жидкости с этой целью.
- Место воспаления ни в коем случае нельзя греть: не принимайте горячие ванны и душ, не прикладывайте грелку.
- Не следует самостоятельно подбирать себе антибиотики или испытывать народные средства.
It is very important to observe hygiene: Once a day to take a shower, change the bra. Make sure that after the feeding on the nipples do not remain a drop of milk. Do not wash your breasts after each feeding, so you can only break the protective layer of the skin. It is enough to dab the remnants of milk with a clean napkin or to wipe the nipple with a cotton disc moistened in boiled water. For the shower it is better to use not soap, but gels with neutral pH.
It is not necessary to panic and be too nervous for suspicion of mastitis , Your emotional state is transmitted to the baby and affects lactation. Quietly spend all medical measures, do not delay visiting a doctor. With stagnant phenomena in the chest, almost all wet nurses face, but not every one of them goes to mastitis.
We read useful articles on the topic of GW:
Ice can not be applied. What clever man wrote an article?