How to prepare a breast for feeding a child
How to feed the future baby, how to prepare the breast for feeding; a question that interests many mothers, especially those for whom this is the first birth. To ensure that the feeding process is the most comfortable for you and your child, there are several recommendations for preparing the breast for feeding. You need to start training during pregnancy. Particular attention to the preparatory procedures should be given to women with a flat, retracted form of the nipples and excessively sensitive breasts.
Any manipulation with the breast requires a preliminary consultation with the doctor. He will talk about the methods of preparing for feeding that are right for you, and also help to avoid the most common mistakes among young mothers.
Some moms, having a flat nipple shape or sucking nipples, begin to panic that this somehow will prevent the feeding, that the baby will be uncomfortable. In fact, it does not hurt. Just need to prepare the nipples in advance.
The first thing to do; form check. Perhaps your suspicions are unfounded, and everything is in good shape. Take the halo of the nipple with two fingers (forefinger and large) and lightly press; if the nipple is pulled in, then the shape is not quite right, if the nipple protrudes forward – it is convenient for feeding the baby. Also, the normal nipple under the influence of cold stretches forward and acquires a convex shape, the drawn-in is pulled into the areola, the flat one does not change the shape at all.
- Massage. But in your power to slightly change it, so it was more convenient to feed the crumbs. A fairly effective method; massage. The first and the simplest; stretching and twisting of the nipples. With two fingers, gently pull the nipple slightly twisting it. Probably, there is no need to remind you that your hands should be cleaned and your nails cut and filed? But do not overdo it; the skin on them is very delicate, you can damage it. Also, too much twisting of the nipples can cause an increased tone of the uterus.
Even if you do not have any problems with the nipples, there are a few recommendations for their preparation for feeding that are worth following:
- Try to avoid getting soap on the nipples, so as not to overdry the skin; wipe with a damp towel a halo is quite enough;
- During pregnancy, breasts increase in size. To the chest does not hang, you need to wear a properly selected bra. He should not squeeze the chest, preventing proper circulation. It is recommended to choose linen with wide straps made of breathable hypoallergenic natural materials;
- Breast skin care. Preparing the breast for feeding includes proper care of the skin condition. In the late stages of pregnancy, it is recommended to avoid the use of aggressive cosmetics, leading to overdrying of the epidermis;
- Compresses. You can make natural broths from oak bark or strong black tea, soak the wool in the solution and apply to the halo for a few minutes. This strengthens them and prevents the appearance of cracks. Repeat the procedure several times a day;
- Hardening. For the future mother it is very important to harden the breast, as when feeding it is in constant tension. The easiest way ; air baths. You can also pour the chest with cold water. Gradually lower the temperature; begin to pour the nipples of ice water from the first procedures can not. The tonic effect is possessed by pouring the breasts alternately with cool and warm water. Another way; wipe the chest with ice cubes. You can make a frozen broth of chamomile, oak or string, which is useful for the skin of the halo of the nipple. Ice can not be kept long enough to prevent hypothermia;
- Special brassiere. Its form is specifically designed to prepare the female breast for feeding the baby. When wearing such a bra, avoid tight and overly tight clothing;
- Massage. Periodically massage the chest, making circular motions around the breast. This increases blood flow and prevents pain during feeding (breast massage);
- Communication with a doctor and with other moms. The waiting period for the baby is very exciting. A lot of questions arise in the head, including about how the feeding will take place. You can talk about this with your doctor. Ask him about anything that interests you. Also try to talk on this topic with other moms, ask about the problems they encountered, and learn from their experience. You can go to special classes for young mothers, where you will be shown how to properly put the baby to the breast, how to prepare it for feeding and how to take care of it afterwards.