Fundamental advice for nursing mothers about breastfeeding
The generation of our mothers found those days when medicine actively interfered in the process of feeding a baby. The feeding system that appeared in the post-war period provided for observance of certain rules: feeding by the clock, decanting, obligatory washing of the breast with soap before each application. All this is so unnatural that it was a long and successful success to feed the child only to units. (at the end of a lot of videos and a block with useful links)
Stories about ; dairy; and , not dairy; women, lactostasis and cracks on the nipples are often confused young mothers. Breastfeeding seems like something complicated and uncomfortable. In fact, this process is absolutely natural and physiological, the only problem is that mothers sometimes do not know how to organize it correctly. Some advice on the correct organization of breastfeeding will be very useful for a young nursing mother. Observe them is not at all difficult, but the result will please both mom and baby.
What is breastfeeding:
Pros of breastfeeding:
- To establish a good lactation, the first days, and even the hours after the birth of the baby, are very important. It is best if the baby immediately after giving birth spreads to the mother on her stomach and put it to her chest. Establish contact, skin to skin; promotes the launch of natural instincts and the mechanism of lactation in the body of a newly mummy. Milk in the chest at that time is not yet, but there is a much more valuable substance – colostrum. It is a thick, transparent liquid called the first graft; the kid. The matter is that colostrum contains a lot of enzymes, vitamins, antibodies, immunoglobulins, as well as proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
- In anticipation of the arrival of milk, it is not necessary to supplement the baby with a mixture. Colostrum is not developed so much, and moms begin to panic that the baby is hungry and he does not get enough nutrition. A rich composition of colostrum completely satisfies the need of the child for nutrients. The mixture, which the child will receive through the nipple, on the contrary, can play a bad role in the establishment of lactation. At first, Having eaten the mixture, the child does not want to suck the breast, and therefore will receive less than the most valuable colostrum. Secondly, a teat on a bottle can; A child is more than a breast, because sucking milk from the breast is more difficult.
- It is not necessary to follow up hygiene rules to fanaticism, and wash your chest with soap before each feeding. Soap destroys the natural protective film on the skin, and the skin of the nipples and areola is already very sensitive and tender. The lack of natural protection leads to the fact that the skin is injured and cracked. Feeding with cracks on the nipples is very painful (see an article on nipple cracks). One more argument, against; ; A detergent, even without perfumed fragrances, interrupts the natural smell of the skin. Kids are not yet able to realize who is native and near, and who is a stranger, so smells for crumbs play a big role. Not feeling a mother’s smell, a newborn can become worried and even give up for a while. Wash your breasts 1-2 times a day under warm water.
- Give your baby a chest for each requirement. This wording is not always clear to mothers: how to understand that a child requires just a breast? This is easy to do. There are not many ways to demand anything from a newborn, in fact, he is alone – a crying. For every anxiety and crying, the mother must first give the breast. If the baby refuses from the breast, perhaps something else bothers him: it can be hot, cold, wet, uncomfortable, something hurts (see an article on how to understand the causes of crying). However, in most cases, babies calm down with breastfeeding. Tearing the baby from his chest, too, is not worth it. Feeding ends when the crumb itself releases the nipple. At first, kids are literally ready for hours; on the chest. This does not mean that the child does not have enough milk, he does not gorge. Breast milk is very quickly absorbed, and for a child sucking a breast is also a way to be with mother, calm down (See how much the newborn eats milk / mixture).
- Discard the pacifier. The essence of natural feeding is that the baby gets the breast on demand. How much time to be at the breast and how often to apply – the baby himself decides (see which method of feeding to choose; on request or hours). Of course, it may be convenient for mom to give her baby a pacifier on the street or during sleep, but this does not help lactation at all. Lactation directly depends on breast sucking. If the child instead of the breast receives a substitute in the form of a dummy – the breast is not stimulated enough, the milk becomes smaller. If the lactation is not established, using a dummy can lead to the fact that the mother will not be fed for long. For a child to use a dummy, too, there are cons. Breast for the baby is also important as a means of contact with the mother, the pacifier replaces the possibility of this contact and the formation of a deep psychological connection between mother and baby.
- A baby who receives a breast on demand does not need to be doped with water. Breast milk is 80% water, and it is not homogeneous. Those portions of milk that the baby receives at the beginning of the application – the so-called front milk – serve him as a drink, and the back, thick milk as a meal. Drinking a liquid takes a certain volume in the stomach, so the baby sucks less of the breast, and this reduces the amount of lactation. If the child should receive some medicine diluted with water,; give it better with a spoon or from a syringe to prevent confusion of the nipples.
- You do not need to fully express the breast after each feeding. At the time of feeding by the clock, each nursing mother expressed the last of the milk to the last drop. Perhaps, with this feeding system, this made sense, because rare attachments led to the fact that the chest was overflowing, and the stimulation of the breast was clearly not enough to maintain lactation. If the baby receives a breast on demand, it is better not to interfere with the process of emptying the breast. Being at the breast and sucking out a certain amount of milk, the child was as ordered; imagine milk for the future feeding: how much he sucked, so much milk and will arrive. Expressing, the mom increases this order disproportionately to the needs of the crumbs. A child with an increased volume can not cope, and the mother decant again and again. All these actions are a direct way to the lustostasis.
- Change your chest should not be more than once every 2 hours. This is necessary for the baby to get both the front and back milk. With frequent changes in the breast, the child just does not have time to get to the rear milk, which means that it receives less nutrients. Lack of back milk affects the weight gain and leads to problems with the intestines.
- Do not hurry with the lure and enter it earlier 6 months. A portion of mother’s milk for a baby is much more useful than a jar of mashed potatoes. Even after 6 months for children on natural feeding, the lure is needed to get acquainted with new flavors and consistencies, and not to fill the lack of nutrients. Early introduction of complementary foods, and even persistent increase in the volume of servings, simply supersedes breastfeeding (see the first lure; when to enter and where to start).
- It is important for nursing mothers to get acquainted with different positions for feeding and change them during the day. Being in different positions, the baby more actively sucks milk from different lobes. This is an excellent prevention of dairy stasis. The main rule in this case: where the chin resting on the chicken when feeding – from there the baby sucks most (cm of postures for feeding).
- Feeding up to a year is a minimum, the optimal duration of breastfeeding is 2-3 years. Sometimes it seems to moms that if by the year the child already receives impressive portions of complementary foods, it means that you can finish with the breast. However, the breast for the baby serves not only food. In a year, none of the kids is psychologically ready to give up breast. It is not physiological for a woman. Excommunication at this age does not take place in a natural way, so it is traumatic for the child, and can have consequences in the form of problems with the breast for the mother.
- During the application of the baby to his mother’s breast, it is necessary to monitor the correctness of the grip. The child should grasp not only the nipple, but also the areola – the area around it. His lips at the same time appear to be turned outward. Only with such a grip the baby can effectively suck the milk. Incorrect grip is always a problem with weight gain and ingestion of excess air, which means pain in the tummy. In polyclinics, they rarely pay attention to the peculiarity of breast engagement, and if the baby does not gain enough – prescribe a supplement to the formula, which only exacerbates the problem of GW adjustment. If the mother feels that the child is not properly attached – it is better to consult a breastfeeding consultant or try to correct the capture by pictures and training video (See the article on how to properly apply to the breast).
- Night feeding is mandatory, they are very important for maintaining lactation. The hormone prolactin, responsible for the production of milk, is produced in high numbers at night. Night feeding is necessary throughout the whole period of breastfeeding, and when exfoliation they are taken last. Feed at night is most convenient when the baby is sleeping with his parents. If a dream in one bed confuses mom and dad, you can put the baby in your own crib, but it should be inaccessible from the parent, so that for every anxiety mother could wake up and give a breast (See an article on the pros of night feeding).
- Mom’s illness is not an excuse to stop feeding. For almost any case, drugs that are compatible with breastfeeding have already been developed. If it’s a seasonal cold, it’s not only possible to feed, but it’s also necessary. In milk contain antibodies to infection, so the kid with the milk gets immunity and if there is an infection – the child carries the disease much easier (questions about diseases in which you can not feed are discussed below). To support mother and baby, the famous Finnish company created a special vitamin and mineral complex, Minisan Multivitamin Mama, which now appeared in our pharmacies. The drug is noted by our specialists for its quality and richness of the composition. During the period of feeding, he will provide the body with folic acid, iodine, iron, magnesium. Moreover, many mothers, noticing the effect of taking the drug, usually continue to use it even after stopping feeding (there are no contraindications to it), that is, they use it as the main daily vitamin for preserving youth and beauty.
- Use the advice of specialists on GV and child care in general.