Vaccination for rubella for pregnant women
Rubella is a well-known infectious disease, which often affects children. In children, it is usually quite easy and does not lead to the development of any serious complications.
But it is quite another matter when a pregnant woman becomes infected with this childhood infection. What is this disease dangerous for expectant mothers?
Ill with rubella during pregnancy – this is not like the worst enemy!
To begin with, if a virus infection occurs in the early stages of pregnancy, then, as a rule, a spontaneous miscarriage occurs in the woman. Well, if the infection occurred at a later date, the doctor will most likely recommend interrupting pregnancy for medical reasons.
And this, of course, is not accidental – the rubella virus is very dangerous for the future baby!
He can penetrate the placenta to the fetus and cause serious developmental malformations:
- reduction in brain size (microcephaly);
- reduction in the size of the eyeballs (microphthalmos);
- congenital opacity of the lens (cataract);
- inflammatory diseases of the brain substance (encephalitis);
- heart defects;
- congenital deafness;
- inflammatory diseases of the meninges (meningitis).