Pigmentation during pregnancy
Many women in anticipation of the baby are faced with such an unpleasant phenomenon as pigmentation spots during pregnancy. This cosmetic defect is still known under the names of chloasma, melasma, and hyperpigmentation of the skin.
Pigmentation during pregnancy is manifested in the form of spots of various shades of brown (sometimes red), which are located on the nasolabial triangle, chest, along the belly, forehead, neck, sometimes even on the back. What causes pigmentation of the skin during pregnancy?
Let’s try to figure it out.
Causes of skin pigmentation in pregnant women
- Heredity. As practice shows, if the spots on the face during pregnancy (or on another part of the body) were in the mother / grandmother of the future mother, the probability of occurrence of similar spots increases dramatically;
- Swarthy skin type. Stains on the body during pregnancy are more likely to occur in women with dark skin, as well as brunettes. This is due to the increased availability of their own dark pigment. By the way, with the presence of freckles, their number and color saturation can significantly increase;
- Changes in the activity of the adrenal cortex and the pituitary gland, which are observed in pregnant women, become the main cause of the appearance of pigmentation. As a result, the level of hormones responsible for pigmentation (progesterone, estrogen, melanocyte-stimulating hormone) is significantly increased;
- Medication administration, among which oral contraceptives, antiepileptic drugs (mezantoin, dilantin);
- Lack of folic acid in organism;
- Use of substandard cosmetics (or unsuitable), perfume products, which are applied to open areas of the body. Their negative impact is enhanced by hormonal changes in the female body.