How to deal with insomnia during pregnancy
Insomnia is a violation of sleep, in which there is a poor sleep, insufficient duration or quality of sleep for a long time. Many pregnant women face a sleep disturbance right from the first weeks of bearing the baby, which is due to the hormonal shake-up of the body. Especially sensitive to insomnia are those women who have never encountered this problem before. The situation is complicated by the fact that in such a position the future mummy needs to get enough sleep and it is undesirable to overwork, therefore it is necessary to struggle during pregnancy with insomnia. Get rid of sleep disorders will help to know the causes of insomnia and study the processes that take place all 9 months in the body.
Sleep disorders with common symptoms, namely, inability to sleep for a long time, are called insomnia (or asomnia).
Asomnia (a + lat. Somnus – a dream). Insomnia, sleep disturbance. It is manifested by difficulties of falling asleep, intermittent sleep with frequent awakenings at night, superficial sleep or premature awakening with the inability to fall asleep again.
There are three types of asomnia: transient, transient and chronic.
- Transient. Transient or situational insomnia during pregnancy is mostly associated with episodes caused by a burst of experiences of a happy or sad nature. The sleepless state continues until emotions settle down and life goes on its own. In this case, the proverb is good: you know less, you sleep more tightly. The future mum needs to protect herself from sources of unpleasant information, and her surroundings to take care of the circle of communication and the positive mood prevailing in the family. Such insomnia lasts no more than a week and does not need special treatment.
- Short-term. Short-term insomnia is associated with more significant causes – the physiological processes occurring in the body during pregnancy, stress, medication, heart disease. This kind of insomnia can last about a month, and during this period the body of a pregnant woman can significantly suffer. In case of sleep disturbance for more than a week, you should immediately contact a specialist. Independently to get rid of a problem it is impossible, as the true reason can be recognized only by the doctor.
- Chronic. Chronic asomnia is the most complex form of insomnia, which does not arise from scratch. She suffers for months, and this condition can cause both mental and physical diseases. It is much less common than the previous ones, however, in any case, it is an occasion to call a doctor. If a chronic illness has worried a pregnant woman before, then the methods of fighting with it will have to be adjusted, as the previous drugs can harm the baby.
And the most important thing ; if nothing helps and wants to resort to medical treatment, immediately it is necessary to inform the doctor about it. No advice from friends and close relatives will replace the experience of a specialist. Only he can find the right and safe medicine for a pregnant woman, without harming her future child.
The causes of insomnia during pregnancy differ at different times, therefore, the ways to combat it are different. For the first trimester, manipulations are suitable that help maintain a certain regime of the day and nutrition:
- Create a habit of going to bed at the same time, preferably up to 23 hours;
- The last meal should be delayed for three hours before bedtime, so that the stomach can get rid of food during this time;
- From the usual coffee and tea will have to give up, replacing them with a glass of warm milk, which has a mild sedative and sedative effect;
- Apply herbal infusions from chamomile and mint can be without fear, but with respect to the rest you need to be more careful - about their compatibility with pregnancy you need to consult a doctor;
- The nature of the water procedures should be reconsidered - to abandon the relaxing hot baths and the contrasting shower, increasing the tone of the vessels and enhancing blood circulation, in favor of pouring with warm water;
- Walk before going to bed for an hour relax and help fall asleep, similarly acts and airing the room.