The first walk: when you can start walking with a newborn baby?
Young mothers, returning from the hospital, immediately encounter a lot of questions, the most frequent of which is when to go on the first walk with the newborn. Of particular concern are parents, whose babies are born in the winter. They are afraid that children can catch cold and get sick. When can you give the child the first walk in his life? What rules should be followed at different times of the year?
To the kid, however, like his mother, fresh air is very important. Regular walks increase appetite, improve blood circulation, sleep of the newborn becomes deep and calm. Differences in temperatures on the street and at home contribute to tempering the child’s body. Sunlight helps to produce vitamin D, which prevents the appearance of rickets in children.
Although some moms come out with a crumb as early as the morning after discharge, pediatricians-neonatologists recommend to arrange walks in the fresh air only from the second week of life of the newborn, giving him time to adapt to new conditions. Begin with a 15-minute exercise, every day adding ten minutes and bringing the total length of stay outside the home to two or three hours a day. The duration of walks in the autumn-winter period, as a rule, is less than in the warm season.
The ability to own thermoregulation in children develops gradually, so it is necessary dress them properly, to avoid the two extremes: hypothermia and overheating. Observe the golden principle: the kid should be dressed for the season, but a little warmer than the mother – plus another layer of clothing ( We read an article on the topic: How to dress a newborn for a walk (summer, autumn, winter); http://razvitie-krohi.ru/veshhi-dlya-malyisha/kak-odet-novorozhdennogo-na-progulku-letom-osenyu-zimoy.html).
To the first walk was a real pleasure for the baby and mother, you need to take into account the weather conditions, well-being crumbs, as well as the time of year.
Many parents mistakenly believe that in the summer months you can walk with your child right after his discharge, without limiting the time spent on the street. However, in the hot summer, especially in the middle of the day, there is a risk of getting a baby a heat stroke due to overheating of the body. Do not forget that children under three months old are not yet sufficiently mature in the heat exchange system. Therefore, summer walks should be taken seriously and observe the basic rules:
- Get a special stroller for your newborn: it must be on wheels with shock absorbers, with a flat bottom, with a mattress made of natural materials (how to choose a stroller).
- First you need to dress and get ready for a walk to mom, and only then - equip the baby so that it does not overheat and sweat, waiting until you are ready.
- You go for a walk in the intervals between meals a child. This will prolong the time of joint campaigns and will not allow the baby to freeze, and also improve his sleep.
- Choose for a walk quiet places away from roads and congestions of cars. The most suitable places are the park, park areas or a children's playground.
- Do not forget to put a couple of pacifiers in a travel bag. In fact if the crumb will longly shout in cold air can get a sore throat.
- If the street is bad weather, do not deprive children of the opportunity to breathe fresh air. An ordinary walk can be replaced by a dream on a glass balcony or loggia. Of course, you should take care of the child's safe sleep. Protect it from drafts, make sure that nothing falls on it from the neighboring balconies.
Despite all the benefits of walking in the fresh air, sometimes they can bring harm to the kid. If he is sick, he has a high fever, stay at home in any weather, constantly airing the children's room. By the way, the question of the first exit from home with a painful or premature baby should be decided only with your pediatrician.
Avoid walking in adverse weather conditions: too hot (above +30) or frosty (below -15), rain or sharp cold wind will bring more negative than good.
Fresh air is vital for a newborn baby and his mother. Regular walks will strengthen the children's body, as well as improve your mood and give you the necessary motor load, which will help you to come to the right shape after giving birth.
Video: How long and under what conditions should you walk with a newborn?