Ferber’s method: the opinion of a psychologist
In the life of each family at some point there is a need to teach a little man to fall asleep without the help of adults. Often this period is accompanied by childish tears and parental fatigue. Today we will tell about one of the most ambiguous ways of putting babies to bed – the method of Ferber.
In 1985, an American scientist Richard Ferber published a book Solving the problem of your child’s sleep. Parents, pediatricians and somnologists (specialists in sleep disorders) were divided into two camps: some fully approve the proposed method, others argue that it inflicts irreparable harm to children. Who of them is right?
The author suggests leaving the baby one in the bed, while being outside the door. If he does not find his mother nearby, starts to roar and scream, it is necessary to return through the approved time intervals, to calm him down without taking the pens.
So Mommy shows that she is near, cares for her baby, just now he must fall asleep alone.
To achieve this goal, adults must observe several important conditions.
- The use of the method should be postponed if the children are chopped, tummy or fever has risen. If the crumb is a serious disease, you should always consult a doctor.
- Age of the child – from six months and older.
- In the next two weeks the baby should sleep at home until he develops a new habit. Therefore, refuse to spend the night with your grandmother.
- Moving from the parent room to the nursery before learning by this method, on the other hand, can help children more easily transfer the changes.
- At the beginning of the application it is important to create a daily routine and set a clear time for falling asleep.
- An important factor is the consent of both spouses and other relatives, their complete peace of mind and the desire to go to the victorious end.
No no and one more time no! Not all children are unequivocal. Tried it thrice, at 5, 7 and now at 8.5 months. Can yell for an hour or two, a record of three hours, but never! Did not fall asleep himself! Never! I calmly bear the crying of children, but I believe that there are children who are shown a joint dream and mother's presence. And intuitively, every mother feels it and knows where the sincere crying, and where the manipulation is.