Laxatives for constipation for children under 1 year old
At the kid of the first months of life the digestive system is not yet fully formed, which is why frequent dyspeptic disorders are explained. A newborn child may suffer from flatulence, frequent loose stools or constipation (About constipation: signs and causes of constipation in an infant). The inability to completely empty the intestine leads to abdominal pain, crying and it is natural that every parent seeks a cure for constipation for newborns.
First, you need to understand exactly what constipation is. Some mothers believe that if their child has not emptied the intestines for three to four days, then this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed to the doctor. In fact, this is not quite true, in some babies, a rare bowel movement is considered a variant of the norm and if the general state of health does not suffer, the baby is cheerful, eats and sleeps well, then one’s anxiety can be postponed. (How many times does an infant need to swing)
To true constipation include a state in which the baby, taking all his efforts, that is, taut, straining and groaning can not get rid of accumulated stool masses. Thus he cries, presses legs to a stomach, worries, refuses feeding.
The inability to evacuate the intestines can bother just a few days, and every day, it depends on the physiological characteristics of the body and on what you feed the baby – breast milk or mixtures.
With constipation, hard feces are secreted, sometimes with an admixture of mucus or blood veins. During defecation, the baby cries, from the face, his face turns red, there is great anxiety and this continues until the intestine is completely emptied.
It is not necessary after the first constipation to immediately run to the pharmacy and look for a laxative for newborns, any medicine is chemistry, and it is unlikely that it will be useful for the baby’s body. First you need to understand the diet of the child and eliminate the identified errors.
Young pediatricians are often advised to adhere to the following recommendations:
- If the baby feeds on the milk of the mother, then it is necessary to carefully approach the preparation of your diet. Do not recommend to use fortifying foods, nutrition should be varied with plant components (Nutrition of nursing mother).
- The child, both on artificial, and on thoracal feeding requires additional portions of boiled water. Every day the baby needs to give several sips of water from a small spoon in the intervals between the feedings.
- The kid must actively move – daily exercise and a mild tummy massage have a positive effect on the condition of the intestine. From constipation well helps and laying on the stomach.
- Toddlers of the first months of life in case of problems with a stool should be given dill vodichku or a few drops of prune broth.
Recommended and authorized laxatives
Laxatives for children of the first months of life are produced in several dosage forms and most often are syrups, solutions or suppositories.
Most often, with rare problems with emptying and to provide quick help to the tummy pediatricians are advised to resort to the use of rectal laxatives, they can be purchased at any pharmacy.
- Rectal Candles operate at the local level, so do not have a negative impact on the whole organism. The safest are considered to be candles with glycerin, they can be used from the first days of the baby's life, so the future mother can stock them in advance. For newborn babies with constipation, you need to use 1/8 of the candle, for children from the month and older, the dosage is doubled. Candles laxative soften the feces, make defecation painless and easy.One has only to remember that any medicine is used only in extreme cases, otherwise the intestine will get used to working with its stimulation.
- Syrups and solutions. Pharmaceutical industry produces a variety of different products to facilitate bowel movement. Mums need to remember that you need to choose only where the age of the child is specified and the instruction is fully written.
- Prelax - the main active substance of the syrup is lactulose, which improves intestinal peristalsis and positively influences its microflora. Prelax is also used as a preventative against constipation, the effect of its first application begins to manifest itself within an hour. More about syrup
- Dufalac the drug refers to laxatives, produced on the basis of natural components of whey. Delicious syrup can be given to the baby from the first days of life, you need to remember that the maximum effect from its use most often develops the next day. In the first days of admission, a baby may develop flatulence, after a few days usually passes. Dufalac positively influences the normalization of the intestinal microflora, this leads to stabilization of its work. Article about Dufalac
- Normolact - Another laxative remedy based on lactulose. Acceptance of the drug begins with high doses, then when the desired effect is achieved, they are gradually reduced. The medicine can be used for a long time.
- Mikrolaks - a new generation of drugs, acting as a microclyster. The effect of using it comes pretty quickly, the only thing that stops many moms from buying is a fairly high price. More on Micro Lax; instructions for use, pros and cons, price