How to choose a crib for a newborn; what kind of baby cots are I
At first, the newborn spends much more time sleeping than awake (how much time the newborn baby sleeps). During this period there is an analysis and assimilation of all the new information that the baby received. That is why it is so important to create a newborn for a quiet, complete sleep. For this, first of all, the child will need a cozy bed, where it would be convenient to sleep. Despite the fact that there are a lot of information about them today, many young mothers are still interested in questions: how to choose the right bed for a newborn baby, do you need wheels on it, do you need a built-in box and others. Let’s deal with them.
Safety requirements for a crib for a newborn.
Regardless of the type in the crib for the newborn:
- There should be no protrusions or sharp corners to prevent the baby from hitting them, as well as unreliable bolts that can pinch your finger.
- Contrary to the opinion that the crib should be exclusively wooden, pediatricians now offer to consider as an alternative to metal models. After all, most wooden beds are covered with varnish in order to avoid drying out and breakage of parts. If you still decide to buy wood products, it is worth to check with the seller what varnish or paint it is covered, or even better, on the surfaces that the baby can gnaw with the appearance of teeth, there were special pads of non-toxic materials.
- The bottom and side surfaces should not be solid to ensure good ventilation of the air in the bed itself and under the mattress.
- The bars on the sides should not be excessively frequent, so that the child’s leg or arm does not get stuck between them. Also, they should not be too rare, so that the kid does not try to push his head through them. The optimal width between them is 7-8 centimeters.
- Another requirement is the availability of a removable wall. You can not call it mandatory, but such a detail can greatly facilitate the life of your mother at night if the cot with the removed front wall is moved close to the adult.
- Also an additional, but not mandatory, requirement is the presence of two levels of the bottom of the crib. Then you can easily put the newborn on a bed higher, and when the child grows up and tries to get out of the crib, then the level of the bed can be lowered.