Birth of a child. What could be more surprising … Such a tiny and defenseless creature, but it can not be found more beautiful in the whole world. My heart sank with happiness when in the first moments after the birth of my babies they laid it on my stomach. They immediately struggled to reach the chest, funny smacking his lips. These unconditioned reflexes were awarded to babies by nature.
What are the reflexes of newborns and how are they manifested? Let’s deal with you in all this. So, with the normal development of the child’s central nervous system, from birth itself, a number of responses to certain external stimuli are observed.
Reflexes are divided into two types – congenital (present from birth) and acquired (appear and develop with age).
Do you know how long the neonatal state lasts? Twenty eight days! And until the child acquires personal experience, by nature these reflexes help him to survive.
The most significant reactions – fifteen. Some are needed only to be born (very soon they disappear). A part is necessary for the development of new skills, and a part remains for life.
Take, for example, oral reflexes:
1. Sucking. It manifests itself from the first minutes of life and gradually fades away until the age of one. By uselessness, because the baby learns to eat, not only sucking mother’s milk or formula.
2. Swallowing. Appears from the moment of birth and remains forever.
3. The proboscis. This is a reaction to touching the lips of the baby. Disappears two or three months after birth.
4. Palatine-oral (Babkina). With a slight pressure on the palms of the baby, he slightly opens his mouth. By the end of the third month of life disappears completely.
5. Search (Kussmaul). While the child does not see the bottle or the mother’s breast, he reflexively turns the head to touch the corner of the mouth. By the end of the fourth month disappears as unnecessary.
Now consider the grasping and protective reflexes:
1. Robinson-Yanishevsky. Noticed how tightly your baby holds your fingers with their hands? This is a reflex. His age is short – only three or four months.
2. Babinsky. When exposed to the edge of the foot, the toes on the legs open in the form of a fan. One of the long-playing reflexes. Saves up to two years.
3. Top protective. For a month and a half this reflex helps the baby to restore air access while lying on its stomach. The kid turns the head as soon as it is laid face down.
The turn of the motor reflexes came:
1. Moro (or hug reflex). When the baby hears a loud knock, he first spreads the little arms to the sides, unclenching the cams and straightening the legs. And then again compressed into a ball, as if hugging himself. It disappears when the baby reaches five months of age.
2. Kernig. If the baby develops without deviations, then up to five months, its hip and knee joints, after flexion, cannot be unbendled with the use of small efforts.
3. The reference. While maintaining the child in an upright position on a solid surface, he rests his feet on the support. This reflex lasts up to one and a half months.
4. Automatic gait. Comes from the previous position, if the baby is slightly tilted forward. Disappears after the child reaches the six month return.
5. Bauer. Instinctive crawling. His age is three or four months.
Any abnormalities are a reason to go to an appointment with a pediatric neurologist.
Have you tested the unconditioned reflexes of your children? Can you share your tips?