Joint sleep with the baby: pluses, minuses, safety rules, ways of weaning
The joint sleep of the kid with the parents has its pros and cons. About them will be discussed in this article. It also provides safety rules that must be observed when sleeping with the baby in the same bed and a number of effective ways to wean the child from sleeping together.
The dream of a toddler in the same bed with his parents: the arguments for and against
The common sleep of mother and child is a common phenomenon in the modern world. However, the attitude of specialists and parents to this dream is different: some actively support, and others have many arguments against such a phenomenon.
Benefits of sharing a baby’s sleep with parents
- The constant finding of a child near my mother positively affects his heart activity and breathing.
- A toddler’s sleep is more sturdy and calm. He feels warmth and comfort from his parents and on a subconscious level knows that he is not threatened by hunger, because next to his mother, who at any moment can feed.
- Being near parents, the kid feels completely safe and confident in the world around him.
- If the baby woke up in the middle of the night, mum does not need to get upto him. It will be enough to pat the child, hug or wrap it well, so that it becomes calmer.
Pediatricians William and Martha Searz conducted the following experiment, proving the benefit of sleeping with the child with their parents:
When and how can you wean the baby to sleep with his parents in the same bed?
Before talking about how to wean a child to sleep with parents, it is necessary to understand that such a joint sleep can be practiced from birth to 2-3 years. At this age, it will be much easier to wean the child from the parent's bed. There are situations when a child from birth to 2-3 years old sleeps separately, but then requires that parents take him to bed. If they allow a child at this age to sleep with them, then such a joint sleep will continue until school age, which should not be allowed.
There are times when a child bothers to sleep with his parents, and he goes to his own bed. This outcome of the events does not bring any problems to the parents or the child, related to the weaning from joint sleep. However, most often the baby is difficult to wean from the parent's bed. Make the process of weaning as soft and not too traumatic the following tips will help:
- To otutchat child from joint sleep should be gradually.
- Begin by organizing a personal space for the child. Ideally, he should have his own separate room with a beautiful baby cot and various accessories.
- The baby must be constantly motivated to independence, to remind that he is already an adult and must sleep as adults do.
- Put a large toy between you and the child (or make a roller from the blanket) to create a kind of barrier. This will help the baby gradually get used to sleeping separately from mom.
- Do not immediately move the child to another room. First you need to teach the baby to sleep in his crib near the parent's bed. Then push it as far as possible from the parents and eventually move to the nursery.
- PWhen you move a child into a separate room, make a holiday out of this process. Buy interesting bed linens, a few new toys, a beautiful table lamp, etc.
- If the child can not fall asleep or is afraid to fall asleep himself, then it takes some time sit next to him until he falls asleep. At a subconscious level, he will feel completely safe knowing that there is a mother nearby. If the situation is more complicated, you can put the baby in your bed, wait for him to fall asleep, and then quietly transfer it to your own crib.
- Sometimes the kid is afraid to fall asleep himself. To somehow eliminate this fear, mom can teach a child to sleep with his favorite toy. At the same time, she must say something, for example, Mishka will protect you or Mishka looks after you.
- If the kid comes to you at night from his room, quietly take him back. Do not be nervous, even if you have to do it 10 times a night.
- Use the radio nurse.