How to help a child learn the multiplication table?
Without a multiplication table, as without an alphabet – nowhere! Once you learn it and you will use it all your life – we need it in everyday life and professional activity! Consider effective techniques that will help a child quickly and easily learn the multiplication table.
How to learn multiplication table with a child: useful tips
The mechanical memorization of the multiplication table is not possible for every child, and there is little point in this. Such memorization does not help understanding and manipulating more complex mathematical actions, it will not ensure the development of mental activity. That is why the study of the table should begin only after understanding the very principle of the action of multiplication.
How to start learning the multiplication table?
- At the first stage it is possible to explain to the child that multiplication is simply a faster addition. Knowing that 3 x 2 can be replaced by addition (3 take 2 times), i.e. to 3 + 3, the child can easily calculate in the mind.
- Explain to the child the principle of multiplying by 0 and 1. Without difficulty, children learn to multiply 0 and 1 by any number. After all, what number does not take 0 times, 0 and remains (for example, 5 # 215; 0 = 0), and if the number is taken 1 time, there will be the same number (8 # 215; 1 = 8).
- Introduce the child to the multiplication rule by 10. Explain to him that when multiplying by 10, you just need to add zero after completing the action with a unit (for example: 5 x 10 = 5 x 1 and assign 0, or 5 multiplied by one dozen will be 5 tens). Over time, the answers will take root in memory and it will not be necessary to calculate them each time. But for this you need to exercise regularly.
- Help the child to master the score with deuces, threes, fives (2,4,6 …), (3,6,9 …), (5,10,15 …) . Exercising in this way, the child can easily remember the examples of multiplication by 2.3 and 5. These basic cases will help him to master more complex variants.
- The addition of the required multiplier to the previous answer . If the child remembers how many will be 3 x 5, he will add a response with a multiplier of 3 and get the following example of the multiplication table by 3.
- Receiving a subtraction of a number from a familiar work. Knowing the table by 10, you can calculate any example by 9. For example, 6 x 10 = 60, then 6 x 9 is 60-6 = 54.
For the game, you need fields on which the answers in the rectangles will be written down and the examples themselves on separate cut-out cards. With these cards, the child must close the cells in the fields with answers.
Fingers are a visibility that is always at hand. With their help, the method of calculating multiplication by 9 was invented. To do this, you need to rotate the hands with the back side toward you, mentally number the fingers, starting with the little finger of the left hand. When multiplying 9 by 1, bend the finger at number 1 - there are 9 rectified, this is the answer. If it is necessary to multiply 9 by 2, bend the finger under number 2. All the fingers to the left of the bent will denote the number of tens in the answer, and those on the right - the number of units. One dozen and 8 units is 18, the answer is found! And so on.
With the help of fingers, you can multiply by 2, bending one finger at a time in each hand, and after the fingers run out, start bending them again, but add a dozen in your mind. At the same time, you first need to count the fingers that are bent, and then those that have been straightened.
More complex examples can be learned with rhymed lines. Good poems were invented for this purpose by Marina Kazarina, Tom Sobakin, Andrei Usachyov and many other authors.