Even the most unpretentious exotic pet is sick from time to time. The causes and symptoms of the disease may be different. Let’s see why the red-eared turtle does not open its eyes what to do in this or that case.
In this case, we take into account that not every city can find a highly qualified veterinarian who does not need to look for a way to solve the problem on the Internet. Therefore, consider the methods of self-treatment of the ward at an early stage of the disease.
If you liked the video – share with friends:
First of all, make sure that the pet simply does not sleep, because the good vision of the red-eared turtle allows it to stay awake both during the day and at night. Watch her for a day. Too much sleep and general lethargy may be harbingers of illness, even if the reptile’s eyes are still shiny and wide open.
In this case, immediately adjust the conditions of detention. So, provoke a disease can:
- Low water temperature;
- The absence or insufficient use of UV lamps and shore heating;
- Unbalanced nutrition;
- Poor filtration and irregular bottom cleaning.
If, after all the conditions are corrected, the red-eared turtle does not open its eyes within 6 hours – sound the alarm. This means that the disease is already there.
It remains to find out exactly what ailment struck the pet. To do this, watch the ward for another day. By the way, during this time be sure to stock:
- Capacity for quarantine;
- Pharmaceutical chamomile;
- Methylene blue;
- Cotton buds.
Other drugs may be needed, but this will be discussed later – when the cause of the problem becomes clear. Let’s start with the most common diseases of the eye of reptiles in the aquaterrarium.
A sure sign of this sore is inflammation of one eye. If you start the disease – both will swell up and close, and the mucous membranes will acquire a dark red color.
This ailment eye of a red-eared turtle can “catch” because of insufficiently clean water. For treatment you will need:
- Dump the turtle into any dry container and conduct a complete disinfection of the aquaterrarium.
- Wash the pet with warm running water and thoroughly, but gently, blot with a simple cotton or linen towel.
- In the morning, at lunchtime, and in the evening, sodium sulfacyl (aka albutsid) drip into the eyes, in a difficult case a special tetracycline ointment in a small tube will not interfere.
The treatment of this disease will take about a day, but if the disease is neglected, more time will be needed. Before placing a healthy pet in an aquaterrarium, add a few drops of methylene blue water previously diluted in a small amount of water.
By the way, it is necessary to take it as a rule in other, more difficult cases.
If a red-eared turtle coughs, eats poorly, swims sideways, cannot dive and does not open its eyes – this is an absolute cold. The sore is frequent, unpleasant, but at the initial stage is treatable, even at home.
In this case, effective warm baths and inhalations with pharmaceutical chamomile. What does that require:
- In a deep pan, brew a strong decoction of a healing plant and make inhalation as for a person. An excellent temperature indicator is your own nasopharynx. As an option, and suitable hand in which you can keep the weight of the bug. The procedure will take at least 10 minutes, so if it’s hard to hold your hand for so long, use a sieve, but not a metal colander. Otherwise, the pet will get burns.
- Upon completion of inhalation, dilute chamomile infusion with water to t 40-45 ºС and arrange bath for the ward. It is important that the temperature does not fall below 30ºС. Well, if the sick pet plunge in the healing infusion of 20-25 minutes at least.
- Then it is necessary to warm the reptile for four hours in a dry container at a temperature not lower than 35ºС.
Such procedures must be repeated a couple of times a day until the reptile recovers. As a rule, the process takes about a week.
But there are more complex diseases that require a special approach.
Many novice breeders often wonder what to do if the red-eared turtle sneezes, scratches his eyes, “blows his nose”, and at the same time swims with difficulty. In this case, it does not hurt to carefully look at the nostrils and inner corners of the pet’s eyes – they are inflamed with rhinitis. Further treatment depends on the causes of rhinitis:
- Polluted water. In this case, the procedure unpleasant for the reptile and time-consuming procedure owner cannot be avoided – wash the tortoises nasal passages with a syringe without a needle with antiseptic liquid. A weak solution of furatsilina or chamomile of a comfortable temperature is suitable as an antiseptic.
- Another reason for the reptilian runny nose can be improper feeding and, as a result, vitamin A deficiency. In this case, intramuscular injections of vitamin A or enhanced feeding with feeds containing it are recommended.
- Rhinitis and swelling of the eyes also occur during hypothermia.
The clinical signs of rhinitis are similar to pneumonia. You can distinguish it from the latter by constantly opening the mouth and forming bubbles at the nostrils when breathing.
In severe cases, infectious rhinitis is treated with antibiotics, for example, “baytrill”. But it is difficult to calculate the dosage, since it is necessary to take into account the weight of the pet without armor.
It is much more convenient to use a special aerosol, which can be purchased at a regular pharmacy or pet store, after consulting with the seller. Best suited for children.
As for the rest, rhinitis is treated in the same way as pneumonia.
Treatment of the sore eyes of a red-eared turtle is impossible without instillation of eye drops, applying ointment and removing suppurations with a cotton swab. However, the reptile will not quietly tolerate such procedures – it tries to bite or hide its head in its shell. You can ease the task like this:
- Prepare the necessary medicines in advance – open the jar or tube and place a cotton swab next to it.
- With your left hand quickly, so that the pet does not have time to draw its head in, take it from below and behind. Thumb and index fingers gently, but firmly fix the neck at the base of the shell.
- Use your free right hand to perform therapeutic manipulations.
Prolonged six-hour warming in a dry aquarium can be tedious for a sick reptile. A shelter made of natural materials will help her to feel more comfortable.
For example, split along half the clay pot. It is also recommended to put for her bath with warm water.
Choosing capacity for warming up, give up plastic basins – they emit dangerous toxins and the ward may be poisoned. It is also important to remember about the access of fresh air.
By the way, instead of using a plastic net, a lid cannot be used for the same reason as a pelvis of dubious quality. Plain gauze with small air vents and a glass aquarium would be ideal.
Even in the warm season, the red-eared turtle is sensitive to drafts. Therefore, before carrying out therapeutic procedures, do not forget to close the windows and interior doors tightly.
If all the rules are followed, the pet will quickly recover and will again delight its owner.