Aquarium fish, like other pets, can suffer from typical diseases. Their most common disease is ichthyophthyriosis.
Therefore, every aquarium owner should know how to treat ichthyophthyriosis of fish in the general aquarium.
Ichthyophthiriosis is caused by parasitic ciliated infusoria Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. In the closed space of the aquarium is quickly transferred from one fish to another, thereby causing epizooty.
Manifested “ichtik” in the form of convex white dots on the body of the affected fish. The foci of the disease resemble semolina with their appearance, for which the disease got its common name “semolina”.
The white dots on the body of the fish are ichthyophthirius cells (trophoziots), which are seated in the pockets of the epithelium and are fed by the wearer’s skin tissue. The development of the parasite occurs cyclically from 7 to 10 days.
Development cycle of ichthyophthyrus:
- After maturation, the trofoziot leaves its shelter and falls into the ground, where it secretes a cyst.
- During the day, 600-1000 tomitis (daughter cell) is formed inside the cysts.
- After maturing, Tomit turns into a theronte, which leaves the cyst and sets out to swim freely, looking for a host among other fish.
- The initial form of the disease is not noticeable at first glance, considering only that fish can scratch each other and rub, on pebbles. Thus, they try to remove irritation on the scales of aquarium fish caused by attacking parasites.
- At a more advanced stage, individuals are very concerned. Most often scurrying from side to side, eating little, fins often convulse with convulsions.
- Sick fish often stay close to the surface, due to rapid breathing and lack of oxygen.
- The main symptom of fish disease is the presence of white-yellow bumps on the body, gills, fins and even in the mouth of individuals. The number of these bumps is growing every day, gradually “sprinkling” all the fish in the aquarium and moving on to other individuals. In the form of bumps, we see not the disease itself, but only the ulcers caused by these parasites. At the last stage of the infection, these ulcers become so numerous that they form one large watery mound. The presence of such a lesion site can only say that the disease is neglected and the fish are unlikely to be saved.
- When the disease is neglected, the scales or skin may form layers of the fish.
Ichthyophthiriosis cause ciliates parasitic on fish, ichthyofthyrius. The white dots on the fins are containers on the tissues in which the parasites settle.
Growth on the body of aquarium fish lasts 6-7 days, after which the ciliate leaves the body and prepares for reproduction. Down to the bottom, she allocates cysts, which during the week is divided by more than 700 new parasites. Ichthyophthiriuses start swimming freely and infect other fish by moving into suitable tissue sites.
As a rule, these are the most vulnerable parts of the body of the fish, such as the gills.
Today the tropical type of the disease ichthyophthyriosis is widespread. Parasites are not separated from the owner for reproduction, doing it on the body of the fish. These species love heat, are tolerant of different composition and hardness of water.
The treatment is more complicated and many traditional methods are ineffective.
Ichthyophthiriosis is a fish disease whose body is weakened by stress. Even a healthy looking fish can carry a parasite lurking in its mouth or gills and waiting for the right moment.
Therefore, it is possible that a new resident, beautiful and healthy in appearance, in a new house in a day will be covered with white dots. Another option is possible: the newcomer will remain healthy, and the old-timers will be infected. This happens if the fish already had ichthyophthyriosis, developed some resistance to the causative agents of the disease.
If her treatment was insufficient, she is the carrier of the parasite.
It is important to treat not only the aquarium fish itself, but also to take appropriate measures to decontaminate the aquarium. Earlier, semolina in aquarium fish was considered easily treatable, and currently it is becoming more difficult to treat it, as the parasites are adapting to the methods of fighting bacteria.
With the appearance of the first symptoms of the disease, the fish in the aquarium may die after a week, so you should immediately treat semolina.
It is possible to cure fish by moving them to another tank, or by leaving them in an aquarium.
White point treatment methods:
- Treatment of ichthyophthiridiosis with salt
- “Malachite green”
- Hydrogen peroxide
- A mixture of malachite green medication with others
This method is suitable for the treatment of ciliates brought from local waters, as tropical bacteria tolerate salt water well. Salt must be taken in the calculation of one canteen per 10 liters of water, while gradually raising the temperature to 32 degrees. Duration of treatment is 14 days.
After therapy for 30 days, it is necessary to replace water every week by 30%. Efficiency is achieved by reducing the amount of oxygen for the life of ciliates, and the increased temperature of the water prevents their reproduction.
The effectiveness of the drug is lowered by the fact that the concentration of 0.09 mg / l of fish and plants tolerate unfavorable, and a decrease in concentration leads to a decrease in efficiency. And also an indicator of no more than 0.06 mg / l is recommended if young fish and representatives without scales live in the aquarium. Enter it gradually until the disappearance of the rash, and a few days after the removal of visible signs.
With each new addition of medication is necessary to change the water.
A solution of peroxide 3% is recommended to add 1 ml per 10 liters of water. It will saturate the water with oxygen, and the inhabitants will breathe easier.
It is recommended to carefully observe the dosage, an excessive concentration of hydrogen peroxide can harm fish or burn fins.
The combination is designed to effectively combat infection, such treatment is important to carry out only in the chalices, because the use of these funds violates biological filtration.
The following drugs are used to treat decoys in fish:
The combination of malachite green, methylene blue and formalin effectively helps fight ichthyophthiriosis. A mixture of these drugs is called antipar treatment.
Treatment of ichthyophthiriosis with furacilin is also a good antimicrobial agent. Furacilin is sold in a pharmacy. You need a medicine that is produced in the form of tablets in a dosage of 0.02 g.
For therapy you need to put 1.5 tablets in warm water, for complete dissolution. Add the previously described solution of malachite green to the liquid.
Such a composition is enough for an aquarium of 20 liters.
If furatsilin applied without combination with other drugs, then calculated 6-8 tablets per 100 liters of water. Daily for 4–6 days, the water should be replaced by 20% and add half of the dissolved tablet.
Branded drugs for ichthyophthiriosis aquarium fish:
- manufacturer Sera;
- manufacturer Tetra;
- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API);
- JBL Punktol ULTRA (for acute stages of the disease).
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is available in capsule and liquid form. Liquid medicine has a different composition from the capsules and is used after therapy with capsules or replaces them in the acute form of the disease.
Munk fish well gives in to therapy with specialized pharmaceutical preparations. Tablets are produced by different manufacturers, the list of medicines for fish from semolina is periodically updated.
This is due to the fact that those drugs that were treated before, lose their effectiveness, the bacteria acquire immunity, so the funds for the treatment of fish are continuously improved.
Before using the medicine for ichthyophthiriosis, it is important to carefully read the instructions, each preparation has its own composition and therapeutic properties that affect the inhabitants of the aquarium differently.
If you liked the video – share with friends: