Newbies in aquarism confuse algae with plants, although the difference between these concepts is enormous. Higher plants decorate the aquarium and create the necessary conditions for living fish.
Algae are weed organisms that infect higher plants and, in some cases, aquarium fish. Many aquarists are faced with the appearance of green bloom on glass, soil and scenery.
Unwanted greens in the aquarium spoils the impression of the underwater world.
Signs of ecosystem disturbance:
Flying in small quantities is considered normal. Do not be alarmed by noticing a few green dots in the aquarium.
Observe the flora, if the glass is greener and the water is dimmed, this should be a concern.
To clean the aquarium you need cleaning supplies:
Clean up the aquarium once a week. Cleaning is carried out in 8 stages:
The use of cleansing drugs – an extreme measure. First of all, change the habitat conditions of the inhabitants of the aquarium:
Inhabitants to help fight airborne:
The appearance of the plaque is caused by the incorrect maintenance of the aquarium and the violation of its biological environment. Algae, creating a green patina on the walls of the aquarium:
- euglena green;
- nitric acid of edogonium.
Elevated temperatures have a beneficial effect on the development of weeds. Watch that the lamp does not warm the water very much, and in the warm season be especially attentive to the temperature conditions.
In warm water, oxygen spreads worse, chemical reactions proceed faster, stimulating the release of nitrates into the water. These substances are food for green weeds.
Avoid sunlight on the vessel wall. The quantity and spectrum of light plays a role.
In summer, the daylight hours do not exceed 12 hours, in winter – 7. The walls of the aquarium turn green from the intense light of the yellow spectrum.
Uncooled fodder becomes food for lower greens. Remove excess feed with a siphon or net.
Together with uneaten food, waste creates conditions for the reproduction of green algae and poison the water with ammonia and nitrates.
Causes of green plaque also appear:
Additional means are:
To maintain the pond biobalance and proper cleaning, follow the recommendations:
- Do not use kitchen sponges or scrapers to clean the aquarium, which interacted with detergents. Residues are dangerous to fish.
- If it is not possible to turn the aquarium light on and off at a certain time, a time relay that automates the changing of day and night in the aquarium comes to the rescue.
- Metal scrapers and blades are best not to use, as they leave scratches on the walls of the aquarium. Instead of a scraper, use a plastic card and thin wooden paddles.
- If you can not get rid of plaque on the stones and scenery, hold them in the bleach for 15 minutes, then pour over boiling water.
- Avoid soil contamination due to overfeeding fish. Filled food is eaten in 5 minutes.
Under natural conditions, the water is saturated with green algae. Aquatic inhabitants eat lower plants. For herbivorous fish, greens are the basis of the diet, for others it is a necessary supplement.
Small crustacean algae serve as a habitat.