Gourami are tropical fish, so they are particularly sensitive to rapid temperature changes that cause disease. But they are subject to other diseases.
To learn about the poor health of pets, follow the symptoms and behavior of gourami.
Most diseases gourami accompanied by characteristic symptoms. For problems with the gut of the gastrointestinal tract is a lack of appetite and unhealthy feces.
Lack of mobility usually means internal diseases, such as infection or viruses. Photophobia is associated with eye problems.
But some symptoms do not correspond to one disease, but dozens, so one cannot stop at one version of the disease and immediately begin treatment.
Usually, this problem is faced by aquarists who only recently bought gourami and settled them in a common aquarium. At first, the new inhabitants behave like healthy gourami, but then they begin to swim less, move only when feeding, and then do not emerge from the bottom.
Usually, if gourami lies at the bottom with a large slope to the substrate, then it is difficult to save, because this is the end of the development of diseases.
This condition develops with inadequate care for gourami: in the absence of filtration, overcrowding.
How to do if the fish is at the bottom:
- Remove the diseased gourami from the general aquarium and place in a separate container.
- Before treatment, check the parameters of water for nitrates, nitrites and other poisons using tests.
- Replace some of the clean water in the general aquarium.
- Check the rest of the inhabitants for similar symptoms.
- In case of a patient with gourami, for other associated symptoms, determine the approximate source of the disease and use it in accordance with it.
- If the treatment helped, then in a weak concentration apply the medicine to the rest of the aquarium for prevention. Provided that it is not physical damage.
Gourami usually lies at the bottom because of several possible diseases:
- Ecto-and endoparasites manifest themselves by the formation of abscesses, holes, and rashes in the body and fins.
- Fungal diseases – a bloom like a cotton wool or white fluff forms on the pet’s body.
- Bacteria cause a disorder of the internal organs, so the disease is manifested by a change in excrement, secretion of mucus from the mouth and gill, bloating of the viscera.
A change in color by several tones is peculiar to gouram fishes at different periods of life. A little bit light or dark pet is able to due to changes in the composition of water, food intake.
Coloring appears brighter before the spawning period to attract females. Therefore, the aquarist should not worry.
For some species, gourami normally darken before spawning. This is especially true of marble gourami, which, in order to attract females, turns into almost black gourami.
But the pearl gourami, usually characterized by a silvery color, to spawn becomes colored in a purple hue. The spotted gourami before breeding changes the color of a light olive color a few tones darker, the spots and stripes take on a dark color.
In honey gouras, the color change causes not only the continuation of the genus, but also the fear, at which they turn into honey-brown and dark-orange fish.
But the reasons for the darkening of goura colouration also depend on changes in the composition of water, not always in a positive direction. Therefore, check the water for nitrates and nitrites, replace part of the water.
Abdominal distention accompanied by reduced activity of the fish, lack of appetite. Abdominal bloating has several causes of education, among them there are safe and incurable.
Possible causes of abdominal distention:
- The most pleasant reason – the female is filled with caviar and soon the aquarium is waiting for replenishment. In some females the abdomen is so much enlarged due to the roe that aquarists suggest tumors. Prepare the spawn and move the female and male there.
- A less pleasant reason is tapeworms in the belly of the fish. They enter the aquarium with food and usually do not cause much harm to the fish. But under favorable conditions for reproduction, their numbers rapidly grow, and the body of the fish weakens due to a lack of nutrients. Get rid of tapeworms with the help of anthelmintic drugs for fish.
- Overfeeding and obesity occur as a result of an improper and unbalanced diet. In advanced cases, the fish can not be treated and dies. So watch out for fish food and dosage.
- Abdominal dropsy. Symptoms: disheveled scales, color turns pale, lack of activity and rejection of food. The fish swells up due to excessive fluid accumulation in the internal organs and most often does not respond to treatment. Overfeeding, old and weak representatives, as well as fish living in a polluted aquarium are susceptible to abdominal dropsy.
- The tumor of the internal organs also inflates the belly of the fish. Treatment can not be.
Reddening of the fins of gourami usually means a disturbance in the nitrogen balance of the aquarium and poisoning by chemicals. Do the water tests.
Even the fins turn red after treatment with some drugs with non-compliance with the dosage.
Causes of flaking scales:
- Physical damage to sharp objects in the aquarium, glass. Still losing scales gourami capable of fighting and clashes with other inhabitants. Some species bite the scales of other inhabitants.
- A bacterial or fungal infection causes disruption of the body and internal organs, therefore the scales fall out of the skin, causing partial baldness.
- Osmotic stress is caused by deep wounds and damage to the skin of the inhabitants, which is accompanied by a change in color, unusual behavior, frequent breathing. Healthy gourami maintains water-salt balance in the body. In gourami with wounds, water will penetrate through wounds and wash out salts, disturbing the balance and causing osmotic stress. Treat all wounds on the body to prevent it.
If gourami constantly floats on the surface of the water and is unable to dive deep, this indicates violations of the internal organs of the inhabitants.
- The lack of oxygen in the water makes gourays float near the surface, where the concentration of oxygen in the water is much higher. In this case, put in the aquarium compressor to improve the lives of pets.
- Poor water quality, pollution, waterlogging. Gourami is uncomfortable in such an environment, so they float near the surface. In rare cases when water is poisoned with poison, inhabitants even jump out of the aquarium, although this leads to possible death. Fish do this act in the hope that there will be a clean reservoir next to them, suitable for life.
- Problems with the respiratory system. The fish feels choking and trying to find a place with a high oxygen content, but still can not breathe it fully.
Reasons for lack of appetite in gourami:
- Stress after moving to a new aquarium. This is normal, soon the appetite will be restored.
- New inmate does not fit / dislike your feed. Try to give a picky little fish a live feed: bloodworms, earthworm. Insect movements whet the appetite of the fish. Gradually move on to other types of food.
- If gourami has been living in an aquarium for a long time and have never refused feed before, but now it has stopped eating, then this indicates a disease or illness. If she swims to feed, takes it into her mouth, but then spits it out, then check the fish’s throat for the presence of foreign bodies. Smooth bodies can be obtained independently, but objects with sharp edges entrust them to the vet.
- Stress due to overcrowding also cause lack of appetite.
- Due to the change of food, constipation occurs. In most cases, a small hunger strike for an adult representative in a couple of days will solve the problem.
Red spots can be a feature of the color of the representative, which is clearly manifested during stress or spawning. But red spots may be bruises due to internal disturbances or open external wounds caused by physical damage or ectoparasites.
Parasites are treated with antibiotics, small wounds heal themselves, and large and deep wounds need to be handled personally.
- At the edges of the fins appear bluish turbidity in the form of a border.
- The formation of red spots due to fin occlusion of blood vessels and hemorrhages.
- The fins rot and decompose.
- Dull eyes.
- The ulcers at the bases of the fins are white.
- Raise the temperature to the maximum value for gourami (if there are no other types).
- Add chloramphenicol tablet (20 liters per 1 tablet) into water and carefully move until completely dissolved. Every 3 days replace 40% of the water and add a pill again.
- Streptocid treatment. 1.5 g per 10 liters. First, dissolve in a small jar, only then gradually add to the general aquarium.
- Treatment betsillin-5. 1/6 bottle diluted in 10 liters of water and move sick fish there for half an hour. The treatment time is 6 days, i.e. a full bottle of bicillin-5 is consumed for the course of treatment.
- Baths with salt – 2 tsp per 5 liters. Place fish for 10 minutes.
Possible diseases that are accompanied by the release of white mucus:
- Alkalosis. Symptoms: white mucus, anxiety and nervousness of the fish, tarnishing of color, frequent breathing. Treatment: transplant gourami in a tank with clean water with an acidity of 7.5–8 pH, gradually increase to the norm.
- Acidosis. Symptoms: anxiety and fearfulness of fish, they swim in circles and look for secluded places, white mucus stands out. Treatment: reducing the acidity of water.
- Costiosis Symptoms: white mucus, anxiety, fish rubs against plants, objects, glass, lack of appetite, gluing fins and the formation of blue spots. Treatment: bath with salt, malachite green; add methylene blue, bitsillin-5, hydrochloride.
- Chlorosis. Symptoms: anxiety and fearfulness, color brightens, white mucus is released on the scales, after a while gourami does not react to stimuli. Treatment: replace the water with clean, follow the indications of chlorine.
- Approaching spawning is accompanied by mating games of females and males of the same species, they swim after each other and chase.
- If the aquarium fish of different species, then check the compatibility of fish. Some fish because of temperament, nature, living conditions are simply unable to live together and they fight with each other.
- Lack of food while feeding causes fish to take it away from others, which causes fights and clashes. In addition, the hungry inhabitants are prone to nervousness and quickly attack floating near. Calculate a sufficient dose of food when feeding and make sure that all fish have enough food. Still often bottom fish remain hungry, to which the food simply does not have time to fall. In this case, buy special heavy feed for bottom dwellers, which quickly fall to the bottom.
- Overpopulation aquarium. In cramped conditions, fish become hostile and attack other fish.
- Territoriality in fish. Some species tend to divide the aquarium into zones and they will defend their territory to death from enemies and invaders. In this case, you need a large aquarium, or separate tanks. After all, such an aggressive neighborhood only leads to stress and nervousness.
# Honey Gourami and # Marble Gourami For the first time, # Gourami came to me with an aquarium. I bought an aquarium and in addition I was given 2 fish.
One of them was a big # Gourami. Honestly, I didn’t like her very much with her appearance and form (I’m asking you not to throw stones at me for this) and I gave her to a local breeder.
Later I already learned that this is a very useful fish for an aquarium. Now thinking to buy a couple of small # gourami
A post shared by Aquas Astana (@ aquas.astana) on May 24, 2019 at 5:57 am PDT
Common causes of death gourami:
- Poisoning with chemical poisons: ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. Their excessive accumulation is caused by the decomposition of uncleared food debris, organic excreta of fish in the form of excrement. To control, test the water and replace part of the water with a clean one every week.
- Stress often manifests itself in fish and does not harm them, but daily nervous tension (from neighborhood with predators, lack of food, aggressive neighbors, overcrowding) undermines the health and immunity of the fish and, if there is no solution to the problem, will lead to goura death.
- Infection and viruses. Penetrating into the body, they multiply rapidly and infect the internal organs. If untreated, even a weak and harmless disease can lead to death.
- Physical damage, injuries. Through wounds, an infection gets inside, which leads to illnesses.
The most common pathogens in gourami are:
They enter the aquarium through low-quality feed, untreated soil, decorative elements, with fish that have not been quarantined.
Common diseases gourami:
- Pseudomonosis Symptoms: dark spots are formed, turning into red ulcers and round-shaped abscesses, through which disease-causing bacteria enter the body. Treatment: Bicillin-5 at a concentration of 1/6 bottle diluted in 10 liters of water, hold the bath for half an hour a day, 6 days. Potassium permanganate, dissolved in 0.5 g in 10 liters, helps the fish to be placed 2 times for a quarter of an hour.
- Aeromonosis. Often affects pearl and spotted gourami. Gets into the aquarium with contaminated and poor-quality food. Symptoms: scales rise and bristling, lack of appetite, decreased activity, fish lie on the bottom. Later bruises appear on the abdomen. Treatment: antibiotics, potassium permanganate baths as in the treatment of bacterial diseases. Levomycetin tablets are dissolved in water and fish are placed in baths for half an hour. Less commonly treated with synthomycin – 1 liter of 600 mg of the drug.
Most diseases are caused by improper care: dirty and muddy water, which rarely changes, lack of equipment in the form of aerating devices and a filter, water poisoning with ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, overpopulation of the aquarium, inadequate diet. If you prevent these factors and properly care for the fish, they will live healthy until the end of life.
And do not forget about the quarantine for newly purchased fish!
Than to cure diseases, endangering the health and life of the inhabitants of the aquarium, it is easier to prevent them with the help of prevention. And in exchange for good care, the fish will delight the eyes with their beauty and health.