How to choose a dummy for a newborn and what nipples are best for a baby
A dummy is a classic attribute of an infant. This is the opinion of most adults and children, people who have experience in caring for a newborn baby and who have never communicated with any crumbs at all. Nevertheless, the question of the necessity and expediency of using the nipple is quite controversial, and the answer depends on many factors, among which the baby’s preferences play an important role. As for her selection, there are a number of rules on this subject that will help her to choose the right product, and to the baby to adapt to the new conditions in the shortest possible time and at the same time not to disrupt the natural processes of growth and development.
Normally a child comes into the world with an already developed sucking reflex – it is conceived by nature for the natural adjustment of breastfeeding from the first days of life (suckling the baby’s breast also stimulates the production of milk from the mother). For the same, the natural scenario, the sucking reflex of the baby is fully satisfied by natural contact with the mother:
- Milk from the breast does not come as fast as from a bottle, and therefore it takes a long time to suck.
- Completely sated, the baby relaxes and falls asleep.
The appearance of the sucking reflex in infants also performs another equally important function – the development of the right occlusion through the constant training of the jaw muscles.
- The shield should not be too big and heavy, so as not to rest on the puffy cheeks of the baby and not shift the center of gravity towards him.
- The disk must be equipped with holes to penetrate the air, its surface can be slightly embossed to exclude intimate contact with the skin (this can cause irritation).
- The shape of the disc is selected depending on the individual characteristics of the baby - it can be round (more often in ordinary nipples), and oval with notches under the nose and beard.
- It is better, if the disk will consist of one part (monolithic) in order to avoid fast breakage.
A little about night pacifiers: how to choose the right baby and baby
Today, some well-known manufacturers offer a new variety of dummies - night. The need for this is justified by the somewhat different conditions of nipple operation during sleep - almost all babies lose their nipples at night, many too massive ring or the dummy itself simply interferes with sleep. In addition, the most common nightmare of any young mother - a lost in the dark nipples, urgently required to wake up from the loss of a crumb. Different models of night nipples are endowed by manufacturers with the following convenient qualities:
- streamlined form of the disc (almost all night models);
- The absence of a ring that can cling to the night by the toddler or objects of the environment, or a small ring fixed to the protective disk;
- glowing in the dark elements of the nipple (for example, the ring) for easy searching by the mother or even the crumb (Avent, Bibi);
- fully made of silicone accessories to minimize the inconvenience of toddlers who like to sleep on their tummies (Chicco).