Sunburn in a child: traditional and folk remedies
On a clear summer day it’s so difficult to stay at home, I want to go with children to a river or lake, to buy and sunbathe. Sunbaths benefit the baby, under their influence in the child’s body is produced such a necessary vitamin D. But still do not forget about the precautionary measures. Long exposure to UV rays leads to burns of tender baby skin.
A sunburn is an inflammation of the skin that results from excessive exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
The skin of children is too tender and vulnerable, so the risk of burns is much higher for them than for adults.
An adult can be under the sun for up to two hours without consequences, the child is 5-7 minutes long enough to get burned.
Especially dangerous are direct ultraviolet rays for the baby, even with short-term exposure, severe burns can occur. The newborn should not be taken out to the open sun at all. A barely born baby has a melanin production process, photosensitivity of the skin is low. In the right amount, the pigment, which is responsible for sunburn, begins to be produced only after 3 years.
Any part of the child’s body (including ears) can burn. The most vulnerable places are the stomach and lower back. The least of all suffer from the sun rays of the foot and palm. Burns more often than not light-skinned and blonde babes.
Doctor Komarovsky on sunburn in children – video
At sunburn it is forbidden:
- Wash damaged areas with soap. Due to the content of alkali in its composition, the protective layer of the skin is washed off. And rubbing with a washcloth leads to an intensification of the inflammatory reaction;
- use drugs with petroleum jelly and animal fats. After their application, a film is formed, which prevents the passage of air, which slows down the healing. In addition, it is a good breeding ground for bacteria;
- to pierce blisters. Such actions can provoke skin infection;
- treat affected areas with alcohol-containing products. This will provoke the strongest tissue irritation;
- to apply ice. The result can be the death of skin cells;
- expose the child to direct sunlight.
Performing simple rules, you can save your child from sunburn:
- You can go to the beach either in the morning (up to 10 hours) or in the evening (after 16 hours);
- Do not allow the child to play in direct sunlight. It should be in the shadow of a tree or under an umbrella;
- do not forget to put on a panamka or a cap on the head of the baby;
- use a special sunscreen for children (with half a year).