What is a chronic cold in children and how to cure it?
Discharge from the nose is the most frequent condition that is treated at home, without the help of doctors. Many parents do not consider the runny nose a serious illness. In the first days of its occurrence it is. But it must be remembered that a rhinitis (rhinitis) can be a symptom of a serious illness. A wrongly treated or protracted runny nose can lead to complications that threaten the child’s life. At the first symptoms of the disease it is better to consult a specialist to avoid the sad consequences.
Rhinitis (rhinitis) is an inflammatory disease of the nasal mucosa. There are several reasons for the occurrence of rhinitis, but in any case, the runny nose is a reaction of the body to the introduction of one or another stimulus. This irritant can be infections (viruses, bacteria, fungi), allergens (pollen of plants, dust, smells, poplar fluff). Coryza can be both an independent disease and a symptom of other diseases:
- children’s viral diseases (measles, rubella, scarlet fever);
- respiratory viral infections (adenovirus, rhinovirus);
- trauma of the nose (when the nasal septum is bent);
- foreign body in the nose;
- diseases of the vegetative system (vegetative-vascular dystonia).
A protracted coryza, which lasts more than 7 days. Chronic rhinitis is a recurrence of the disease more than 4 times a year. Also, a prolonged nasal congestion is allocated when the baby’s nasal breathing is disrupted, but there is no discharge from the nose. This happens with adenoiditis (inflammation of adenoids), improper treatment of acute rhinitis and long-term unreasonable use of vasoconstrictor drops.
- The narrowness of the nasal passages. Many parents are frightened by the snuffling and grunting of the nose in newborn children. Often, the pediatrician is treated with complaints of nasal congestion. In fact, it’s not a runny nose. Children with narrow nasal passages, as well as those whose mucous membrane is overdried by hot and dry air, breathe noisily. The solution to this problem will be frequent airing the room and moisturizing the nasal mucosa with a physiological solution.
Sometimes the usual narrowness of the nasal passages parents take for a cold
- The ingestion of food in the nasal passages. With frequent regurgitation food can get into the nose of the child, which will cause a reflex release of mucus.