Features of migraine in childhood
It is now recognized that the most common cause of chronic headache in children is migraine.
This pathology occurs with a frequency of 5-10% among the child population. Until the puberty, children of both sexes are equally exposed to it, after sexual development it is more common in girls with a ratio of 3-4 to 1 boy. Observation of migraine sufferers showed that about 60% of this disease goes to the period of adolescence, and of the remaining 40%, the half continues to hurt it after 50 years.
Migraine is a pathology characterized by severe headache, paroxysmal nature, often accompanied by nausea or vomiting, abdominal pain and dizziness. The severity of the pain syndrome is so strong and significant that the child’s activity stops.
This disease is also characterized by intolerance of sounds and light (phono and photophobia). Quite often (in 10-15%), the attack is preceded by an aura that can manifest itself with different symptoms depending on which zone of the cerebral cortex is damaged. At the beginning of the episode, migraine is indicated by: visual impairment (blurring), sensitivity (numbness, paresthesia), motor function (muscle weakness), speech (aphonia, aphasia). As a rule, at the peak of a painful attack, sleep brings relief.