Otitis in children – prevent, not treat
Ear inflammation is one of the most common ailments in children. Otitis can be acute and chronic, catarrhal or exudative, but in all cases it is manifested by discomfort, unpleasant, and sometimes the ear can be unbearably sick. The first signs of hearing disorders are an occasion to immediately seek qualified medical help. To exclude a disease or prevent its transition to a chronic form, it is important to know the causes of its occurrence and to follow preventive measures, which should be told in more detail.
Otitis is understood to mean a whole group of pathologies of the organs of hearing of an inflammatory nature. Due to the complicated arrangement of the human ear, the symptomatology of the disease is characterized by a great variety and severity of leakage – from mild forms to serious ailments that can lead to hearing loss.
Otitis is the most common ailment in pediatric practice and otolaryngology. According to statistics, at the age of up to 3 years, inflammation of the hearing organs is diagnosed in 80% of babies. By the age of seven, up to 95% of children have had otitis.
The flow of the disease and its outcome are different – most often the child is completely cured of inflammation, but in severe cases, there may be serious complications such as:
- inflammation and paralysis of the facial nerve;
- otoantritis (purulent inflammation of the antrum – a small cavity, which is located next to the temporal bone);
- blood poisoning;
- extradural and subdural abscesses (purulent inflammation of the solid membrane of the brain).
If it is a question of newborns and babies, experts recommend:
- as long as possible to feed the baby with breast milk, as it is the main means of strengthening children's immunity;
- During feeding, hold the baby's head so that the liquid can not enter the middle ear through the auditory tube;
- timely and accurately clean your ears, while you should not push the cotton swabs deep into the ear canal, so as not to damage the eardrum;
- do not allow water to enter the ears during bathing;
- timely treatment of colds and runny nose, removing pathological contents from the nasal cavity with a pear or aspirator.
Parents of older children are recommended to perform the following preventive measures:
- completely cure inflammatory diseases of the nose and nasopharynx (runny nose, adenoids, sinusitis);
- to treat the oral cavity, to treat caries in time;
- to strengthen the children's organism by means of hardening, playing sports, taking vitamin complexes;
- isolate the child from allergens.
In addition, when a child grows up, it is extremely important to teach him how to blow his nose, since otitis often becomes a complication of colds. Doctors recommend to observe moderation when blowing your nose, do not make the baby blow his nose as hard as possible. Before hygienic procedure, you should make sure that the baby's nose breathes freely. With nasal congestion, it is necessary to drip into each nostril vasoconstrictive drops that will help reduce the mucosal edema and facilitate the passage of the mucous secretions.