Questions to the children’s neurologist: what is important to know the parents of a child before the year
For the first time a neurologist will examine a newborn child in the hospital, then several more times during the first year during routine examinations of specialists. The time of infancy is considered in neurology a period of adaptation to the environment. Correct and timely maturation of the central nervous system directly affects the formation and development of speech and physiological skills. The work of a neurologist with a child up to a year is reduced to assessing the condition of the central nervous system, its development and maturity, the influence of unfavorable factors on it. We decided to consider a list of the most relevant questions to the neurologist from the parents of the baby.
Question: If the birth was normal and my baby was born without pathologies, birth injuries and with a good assessment on the Apgar scale, is it necessary to show the child to a neurologist?
According to the existing rules, an absolutely healthy baby needs four scheduled examinations with a neurologist in the first year of life: at 1, 3, 6 and 12 months. In babies who even received a good Apgar score at birth, the development of the central nervous system (CNS) can occur during growth and development. It is important to identify them as early as possible in order to effectively help the baby.
In addition to the norms of growth and weight of the baby, it is important not to miss the signs of such malformations as intracranial pressure, hypertensive hydrocephalic syndrome, an increase in the ventricles of the brain and many others. It is at the initial stage that they are amenable to correction, which will avoid serious and even incurable diagnoses in the future.
Repeated neurologic examinations are necessary even if during the previous consultations there were no abnormalities in the activity of the baby’s central nervous system – they can manifest later.
When at 7 your child goes to school and already there it is found out that he is uneducable, difficult or problematic, only himself or a negligent neurologist will be to blame. A huge number of unpleasant syndromes and conditions in the work of the nervous system may not be detected visually due to the fact that 6 to 7 years is quite a crisis age in which neurological abnormalities missed at an earlier age. Diseases of the nervous system can be successfully diagnosed and treated in the first months after childbirth. The later to begin treatment, the more difficult the disease will be amenable to correction. That is why it is so important to regularly attend routine examinations and take appropriate tests.
Question: Why does a neurologist use a hammer? (knocks on the knee with a hammer and leads them before the child’s eyes?)
Sleep for a child up to a year is not just a rest, it includes a huge number of functions:
- Relaxation of the body and restoration of the spent energy;
- Maintaining an excellent level of the immune system;
- Growth hormone production;
- Processing and systematization of the brain collected during the waking period;
- Stimulation of the brain zone responsible for the development of thinking and memory.
Average values of sleep rates for a baby
In order to establish a sleep regime without medications, avoid crying and screaming in a dream, whims and overexcited condition of the baby before going to bed, several simple rules should be observed:
- Strictly and scrupulously follow the regime of sleep and wakefulness, not allowing the current affairs and events of the day to disturb it. Spend more time with the baby in the air;
- Set a certain ritual of retirement, both during the day and at night. Always stick to it. This may include a bath with soothing herbs (consult a neurologist beforehand), reading a book, relaxing games, telling tales, lullabies;
- Do not be late with feeding and sleep;
- Put a pillow with mint or lavender at the head of the child. It is also useful to give a baby a baby's tea from these herbs - but only after he turns half a year;
- Study the signs of fatigue of the baby. If they are available, it is better to put the baby a little earlier, otherwise he can be overexcited and fall asleep later than expected. Signs of fatigue include the rubbing of the forehead or eyes, the appearance of small circles under them, the turbidity of the eyes, a sleepy look, pulling one's ears. At each child they are individual;
- Explain and show the children the differences between day and night. Explain, when you put the crumb in bed, that other people and animals also lie down to rest, they need to gain strength before the new day, why the sun does not shine at night, etc. At a later time, do not play with the child, reduce the noise and light levels in the rooms so that the child realizes that the time of sleep is right.