We prepare the first child for the appearance of the second child in the family
The birth of the second child is as exciting as the appearance of the first child. But parents often forget about the feelings of the older kid and make mistakes in relation to him. Regardless of age, any changes in the family do not pass for a crumb without a trace, so it’s best to discuss everything with him in advance. We will try to figure out how to properly prepare for the birth of the second child.
When the happy moment approaches, parents begin to wonder how to prepare the first child for the birth of a brother or sister. Most often, adults make two typical mistakes:
- Mom and Dad experience the joy of waiting for the baby and forget about the fear of the older child. They count on mutual feelings from their child, but in return receive indignation from the fact that he or she does not rejoice with his parents. Adults upsets the behavior of the first child, which results in even more alienation.
- Close people constantly ask if the older child wants a brother or sister. When parents hear a negative answer, they do not know what to do with it, and they try to persuade the first-born, who begins to resist even more against the coming event.
How to properly prepare a senior for the appearance of a younger?
- Calmly report , that soon the second baby will appear in the family. The news should be told the first-born at any age, even if it is still small and does not realize the significance of the event. Parents should not expect from a crumb of great joy or strong emotions. Accept any reaction of a small family member.
- Attract the older child to the preparation of the baby room. Go with him to the children’s shops, to an ultrasound examination, show the baby so that the elder was able to imagine a future brother or sister.
- Save family traditions. If you read books before going to bed or go for walks in the park on weekends, keep doing it. Habitual rituals are necessary for the child, so that he continues to feel love and care from adults. The quality of life of your first-born should not deteriorate in any way.