Newborn cerebral cortex
During fetal development or even after the birth of a baby can be found a dangerous disease. One such is hydrocephalus or simply dropsy of the brain. Unfortunately, in recent years, this ailment is diagnosed in infants more and more often (in 7 cases out of 10), however, only 2 children out of 1000 are needed serious medical care.
The brain is constantly washed with a special cerebrospinal fluid – cerebrospinal fluid. This substance is designed to protect the brain from damage and deliver to its tissues nutrients from blood vessels. In addition, it affects the processes of circulation and respiration, maintains a normal environment around the brain, but to perform all these functions it must constantly circulate. For various reasons (with the appearance of tumors or due to other pathologies), the liquor sometimes stagnates, accumulating in the ventricles or under the membranes of the brain. As a result of this process, hydrocephalus develops in newborns – this is a complicated neurological disease.
Normally, the baby’s volume of the contained cerebrospinal fluid is 50 ml, but in the pathological state this quantity increases many times. As a result, there is pressure on the brain, and it presses against the walls of the skull.
The forecast depends on a number of factors:
- presence / absence of concomitant diseases, the occurrence of which often entails hydrocephalus;
- relevance and validity of the chosen method of therapy;
- the degree of progression of dropsy, in later stages of treatment can be ineffective, as a result, there may be a loss of the patient's capacity or even his death;
- time interval from the moment of the onset of the disease to the beginning of therapy.
According to statistics, more than 90% of babies manage to cope with hydrocephalus and its consequences. In other cases, the emergence of severe and dangerous conditions, among which experts say:
- marked delay in mental and physical development - often in children who underwent hydrocephalus, there are subsequently problems with speech and the ability to show positive emotions, there is a retarded reaction when answering the simplest questions;
- children suffer constant headaches, which are due to increased intracranial pressure;
- deterioration of vision, which can lead to even a complete loss of it; the emergence of cerebral palsy or epilepsy;
- infants often suffer from sleep disorders and increased nervous excitability;
- in children of preschool age, aggressive states, hysteria, stuttering, strabismus can be observed;
- in the school period, there may be a deterioration in the memory of the child, difficulties with the performance of homework, neuropathic disorders.