How to teach a child to eat independently and accurately – a complete instruction for parents
Growing up, the kid goes through important stages of development. First, he holds the bottle with his own hands, but soon it’s time to teach the karapuz to eat without the help of adults. For mom it is a complex and responsible process, so useful tips and lessons for self-feeding will be useful.
One can not unequivocally answer the question about the age at which a child needs to give a spoon. It depends on the level of development and on the curiosity of the child. Some children grab a spoon at the age of six, although they still can not hold it, while others refuse to eat cutlery until 2 years old. There are also such kids, who begin to eat on their own only in 3-4 years.
However, it is not necessary to delay the training. The earlier a child begins to eat without the help of adults, the easier it will be for the mother. In addition, these skills are very useful in the kindergarten.
Experts advise teaching a child to keep a spoon from the age of 9-10 months. In this case, by the age of 1,5 years, he will be able to confidently work with cutlery.
Observe the baby, make sure the baby is ripe for a spoon and a cup. Only if it is ready, you can start training. If he is already interested in food, takes a piece of food and pulls them into his mouth, tries to grab a spoon from his mother’s hands – he is ripe to eat on his own. Of course, mom will feed faster, and at first the baby will scatter food throughout the kitchen. However, this stage still have to go through all the parents. Therefore, it is better not to miss the moment.
Instructions for parents who want to teach the child to eat with a spoon
When the baby begins to reach for the spoon, he is already ready to try to eat on his own. If you do everything right, after a few months the child will learn to use the cutlery. No matter how expensive your time is, no matter how much you want to keep the kitchen clean – do not miss the moment! If a crumb requires a spoon – give it a spoon. And further – follow the instructions.
- Have enough patience. The handles of the one-year-old baby are not yet strong. At first, it will be very difficult for him to keep a spoon, and he will miss her by the mouth. The training will take from 1 to 6 months;
- Train in different places. A great way to teach a child something is to turn the process into a development game. Offer a youngster to feed plastic bunnies with sand using a spatula when he plays on the playground. So he will improve the coordination of movements, which is useful later in the real kitchen;
- Do not leave your baby alone with a full plate – he can choke or disobey due to the fact that he can not eat. In addition, at first the child will still be able to bring to the mouth no more than 3-4 spoonfuls. Then he will get tired, and you will have to help him;
- Choose the right food.The food must be such that the child can scoop it up with a spoon and bring it to the mouth. Soup the kid sheds, and slices of food will take hands. Therefore, choose your choice of thick porridge, mashed potatoes or curd. Do not put the child immediately full plate, but rather put food in it a little bit;
- Do not forget about the plug. Alternate cutlery, so that the baby quickly developed a small motor skills of the hands. At breakfast, did the child try to pick up a porridge with a spoon? For lunch, ask him to eat fish meatballs with a safe fork;
- Connect all household members to training. If you will teach the karapuza to use cutlery, and the grandmother will continue to feed him with a spoon, the process will be protracted. A crumb does not understand why he should try to do something himself, if there are adults for this. Explain to your family members your teaching principles and ask them to follow them too;
- Observe the schedule. Feed the child strictly at the same time every day, constantly fixing the acquired skills. So you can develop a habit for a child. In addition, eating on schedule improves digestion;
- Avoid coercion. In the process of learning the child will sometimes be capricious and refuse to eat independently. If this happens, feed it yourself, and put off the training until the next meal. When the child is not in the spirit, it will not be possible to teach him something anyway;
- Have dinner with the whole family. It will be easier for a kid to learn a spoon if he sees how other people manipulate her. He will involuntarily start imitating them. For the same reason, kindergartens quickly learn to eat, dress and walk on their own;
- Come up with games, To warm the interest of the karapuza to learning. You can buy him a plate with a funny picture at the bottom and offer to eat porridge to see a surprise;
- Begin training with your child’s favorite food and only on an empty stomach. The kid will not want to make an effort to eat something that is not tasty, especially if there is no appetite;
- Praise the child even for minor successes. To please my mother again, he will try his best;
- Keep the kitchen cozy. Buy colored dishes for the child, lay a beautiful tablecloth on the table, decorate the dish. Such trifles increase the mood and improve the appetite.