Child at 4 months (development calendar)
The fourth month of the baby’s life is a time of great change, especially in the psychological and emotional development. Most children by this age have experienced painful moments associated with colic. The work of the gastrointestinal tract has become stable and now the baby is more and more immersed in the world around him, learning to react to it and learn.
Height and weight
The child at 4 months still has a large increase in weight, due to low motor activity. The child can collect for this month up to 750 g. Normally, the body weight in 4 months is 6 – 7 kg (± 1 kg), height 60; 63 cm (± 3 cm).
At the child in four months reflexes of the newborn continue to extinguish:
- On the basis of Robinson’s unconditional grasping reflex, purposeful grasping is formed: the kid grabs objects that he sees in front of him and holds in his hand. The good expression of this reflex promises the rapid development of fine motor skills.
- Moro’s reflex: if you slap sharply on the surface on which the child is lying, he tosses the handles with open hands, and then collects them again on his chest. This reflex begins to fade in 4 – 5 months, therefore at a part of kids in the fourth month it can still be saved, and at someone already it will not be.
- Reflex crawling on Bauer: the child lying on his stomach is trying to crawl, if you create a support on his heels. From 4 months the extinction of this reflex is observed, but if to stimulate it, then by 5 months the baby will be able to crawl on its own.
- By the end of 4 months the child should not be:
- Talent reflex: the index finger is carried along the child’s spine, left and right 1 cm from the middle line, from the top down. In this case, the baby bends the back;
- as well as the reflex Pace: holding your finger along the spinous spine of the spine from top to bottom. The kid at the same time bends the backrest and screams (do not do it yourself!).
The presence of these reflexes after 4 months can speak of neurologic disorders and requires examination from a neurologist.
In addition, the normal physical development of the child during this period is characterized by the presence of the following skills:
- The child easily flips from the stomach to the barrel and back.
- Lying on the tummy can rise on the handles, resting only on the palm of your hand and holding your head.
- He sits down when he is pulled by the handles and holds his head confidently. But do not forget that his back is not yet strong, so it’s too early to drop a baby.
- When supporting the child by the armpits, it rests on the toes of the feet and repels from the surface.
- Hypertension is lost in the hands, but in the legs can still persist.
- Ladies baby almost all the time disclosed. He can put them together, clap on anything.
- Can hold the subject in his hand for almost half a minute. He knows how to shake a rattle to make it rumble.
- The child can purposefully put his finger in his mouth.
- When feeding, the baby himself supports the mother’s breast.