Pigmentation is called darkening or, on the contrary, lightening of skin areas, which occurs due to failures in the production of melanin – the pigment responsible for coloring the skin. The appearance of such signs suggests a woman pregnancy. The spots that appear will be dark or light, depending on the original skin color.
Such marks, the distinctive feature of which is clear edges and irregular shape, doctors call melasma or chloasma.
During pregnancy, they can appear both on the face (on the forehead, chin, around the eyes, on the upper part of the cheeks, on the upper lip) and on other parts of the body: on the inner side of the thighs, areolas of the mammary glands, on the stomach.
In some areas, the skin begins to darken in the very early stages of pregnancy. Sometimes the manifestation of this particular symptom and pushes a woman to the idea of pregnancy.
First dark nipples and areolas around them, the region of the labia and clitoris.
In the second trimester, the pigmentation becomes brighter and some expectant mothers get the so-called “mask of the pregnant woman” – pigmentation arises on the face during pregnancy. Spots protrude on the cheeks, on the nose, on the forehead, cheekbones, under the eyes, above the upper lip and on the chin and can be arranged symmetrically.
If a woman is prone to the appearance of freckles, then you need to be prepared for the fact that during the carrying of the baby they will become brighter and their number will increase.
Pigmentation during pregnancy on the abdomen appears at about the same time. This brown stripe, which stretches from the navel to the pubis, the so-called Alba band, exists in every woman; it just becomes noticeable during the carrying of a baby.
So why do future moms get pigmentation? The skin color of a person depends on many circumstances, but the most important is the concentration of coloring matter, or pigments, one of which is melanin.
It accumulates in specific molecules called “melanosomes”, which play the role of a natural filter that protects the top layer of skin from the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays.
During pregnancy, the melanin production process changes, because the adrenal glands begin to synthesize more estrogen, progesterone and melanocyte-stimulating hormone. Because of this, more melanin is released, which is concentrated on certain areas of the skin.
As a result, the woman appears hyperpigmentation.
Occasionally, oral contraceptives or a lack of folic acid can cause chloasma. Pigmentation can also indicate problems in the liver, pituitary, ovaries, incorrect cosmetic procedures, the use of poor-quality cosmetics or perfumes.
Not the last role in the appearance of spots on the skin and stress.
Genetics also matters. If a mother had such a problem during pregnancy, then it is possible that the pigment spots in the period of gestation of the baby will also appear in her daughter.
Often, future mothers ask how the pigmentation of a pregnant woman affects the baby. If the cause is not exacerbation of chronic illnesses, then the pigment spots will not have any effect on the unborn child.
There is a popular belief that pigment spots during pregnancy often appear in expectant mothers of girls. This has a basis: a girl who develops in her stomach takes estrogens from her future mother, and their level in a woman’s body decreases.
But how then to explain that pigment spots appear in future mothers of boys? In a word, than to guess according to national signs, it is better to do an ultrasound.
It definitely won’t go wrong.
Pigment spots – a phenomenon, though temporary, but not so pleasant. What rules should the expectant mother follow to reduce the likelihood of their occurrence?
- Since under the action of ultraviolet rays, pigmentation becomes more noticeable, protect your skin from the sun: in summer wear wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses, use sunscreens designed for children;
- Carefully read the list of ingredients that make up cosmetics, and choose those that do not have vitamin A, which stimulates the formation of pigment spots:
- Make sure that the diet contains foods containing folic acid, vitamins C and E: green leafy vegetables, cabbage, high-quality vegetable oil, cereals, fish, liver and beets;
- Do not neglect the recommendation of the gynecologist to visit an endocrinologist. It is necessary to check the functioning of the thyroid gland.
Many experts believe that during pregnancy you should not take any cardinal measures to combat hyperpigmentation, and advise you to calmly wait until it disappears by itself some time after delivery. But there are doctors among those who do not object to the use of traditional medicine.
In this case, the expectant mother should understand that it is unlikely that it will be possible to completely get rid of this problem while carrying the baby, the pigmentation will only become less noticeable. And most importantly – before using any means you must consult with your doctor.
These tips, of course, do not apply to cases where chloasma causes exacerbation of chronic diseases. If this is the reason, it is necessary to pay serious attention to the treatment of the disease and strictly follow the recommendations of the attending doctor.
You can moisten a cotton pad with fresh juice of parsley, cranberry, cucumber, onions, strawberries, red currants, raspberries, sweet peppers and lubricate them with stains. Flush juice is not necessary.
- mix lemon juice with two tablespoons of honey, moisten gauze in this solution and hold on face for about 20 minutes, then rinse with water;
- soak gauze in fresh yogurt, apply on face and rinse off after 20-25 minutes;
- mix in equal proportions milk and sour cream, moisten gauze in solution, apply on face and wash off with water after 20 minutes.
- grind the whitening berries listed above into a slurry and apply such a mask on the stain for 15 minutes;
- apply kefir on the stain and rinse with water after 15 minutes, then smear with parsley fresh juice;
- chop fresh cucumber, put on the stain and rinse after 20 minutes with cool water;
- chop the parsley into mush, put on face and wash off after 30 minutes.
In addition, you can apply and special cosmetics from pigment spots, specially designed for expectant mothers. Here, too, need caution and medical advice.