The lack of movement in modern children, in other words, hypodynamia, is a huge problem. With the development of civilization, the need to move a lot is constantly decreasing.
If cavemen moved on the verge of their physical abilities, then modern ones almost never move at all. We gladly use elevators and escalators, personal cars and urban transport. Hypodynamia becomes the hallmark of the modern generation.
Alas, we inculcate a similar unhealthy lifestyle to our children.
Of course, there are babies predisposed to hypodynamia. It can be caused by:
- birth injuries;
- intrauterine oxygen deprivation (hypoxia).
And yet most often contribute to the fact that the child moves a little, it is the parents. How?
* By placing your desires above the natural needs of the crumbs.
Eternally hurried mothers carry children in a stroller for almost five years, and every now and then they limit the limits of physical activity: “Don’t go in the mud – you will mess! Do not go into a puddle – wet your feet!
Do not try to climb the hill – you will fall down! ”Parents take the children to kindergarten and school by car (they’re still on the way) and do not let the kids walk the stairs, even if there is no elevator in the house – pick up and raise to the floor you want than wait patiently for the crumb to overcome this distance.
* Eager to calm
If a child is hyperactive (and this means, even with cartoons, not to mention other “sedentary” activities, not to be carried away by him for a long time), the parents sin for excitability and rush to calm the child by any means. Sometimes, instead of providing rational physical exertion, it comes to self-appointing sedatives.
Very often, parents under the strict guidance of grandparents tend to fatten the baby from birth in the literal sense. The situation “did not walk today” is not a problem for the family, whereas “ate poorly” is a large-scale tragedy.
As a result, mothers are moved by puffy, lethargic babies, who have all the power to digest food surpluses, and not to the physical activity that they need for development.
* Opening access to TV and gadgets
The variety and availability of a variety of electronic toys leads to the fact that children themselves do not want to move, walk. Just think, four-year-old kids are starting to prefer cartoons and electronic games to walk with their peers! And the saddest thing in this story is that parents are going on about these desires.
After all, in fact, why go outside to freeze your nose? It is better to sit at home, take care of yourself and never ending household chores, especially when the child is busy with a gadget and does not interfere.
There are special units for measuring motor activity – conditional steps. In adults, the daily movement rate is 10,000 steps per day, in younger preschoolers, 9,000–13,000 steps per day.
That is, children, by definition, must move more than adults! And the intensity of motor activity is measured by the average number of movements per minute (in children 3–4 years old they should be 44–50, and in children 5–6 years old – 54–60).
Of course, it is impossible every day to count the number of steps taken and every minute the number of changes of movement. But it’s longer to walk in the fresh air, not to limit the child in activity, to give him more motor independence (just supporting and not supporting) – all this is within your power!
From the philistine point of view, hypodynamia is just a lack of movement: “Just think, didn’t walk, but sat for half an hour in front of the TV!”
Shortage of movements and their low intensity:
- negatively affects the development of the musculoskeletal system;
- creates problems for the normal functioning of the cardiovascular system. In some cases, it can manifest itself in negative reactions of the heart to physical activity (for example, in the future during school physical education classes);
- limits the improvement of the capacity of the respiratory system and reduces the vital capacity of the lungs (ie, the amount of air that a child can inhale and exhale);
- it slows down motor development, as well as the development of physical and mental performance (problems with coordination of movements appear, signs of exhaustion and overwork appear more clearly, attention decreases, thinking time increases, memory deteriorates).
In addition, the lack of movement in the lives of young children is one of the causes of the emergence of excess weight, provokes a decrease in the already insufficiently developed immune activity of the body to colds, infectious diseases and other diseases.
In terms of normal mental development, hypodynamia is fraught with problems in psychoemotional and even psychosexual development. After all, children who communicate mainly with gadgets, not only do not develop communication skills, but also lose their tactile interaction.
And in childhood it is very important, especially in view of the chronic employment of parents!
Over-investment will not require schooling of the child to active movement from the parents, but certain efforts will need to be made. It is reasonable to choose playgrounds for the street: perhaps from a sandbox in the courtyard of your house the kid has long grown?
Update toys that will contribute to physical development – for example, in time replace sovochki and molds with a butterfly net and a ball, and a four-wheeled bicycle – with a two-wheeled. Consider the options for equipping the apartment with sports equipment: if the wall bars do not comfortably fit in every children’s room, then there must always be a place for the horizontal bar and fitball.
And, of course, seek opportunities to walk with your child as much as possible. Do not rely on the kindergarten: at best, walks there makes up for half the norm of the required range of movements.
The optimal motor mode of the preschool should consist of:
- morning gymnastics (5–7-minute complex, which includes elementary exercises like bending and squats);
- organized exercise and outdoor games in kindergartens;
- classes in clubs and sports sections;
- visits to the pool (swimming effectively affects the child’s musculoskeletal system, and water helps reduce hypertonia and indirectly stimulates the metabolism);
- walks (at least half an hour) before bedtime;
- weekend activities with family.
Remember that physical activity gives the best effect only when exercises and games are correctly dosed in time and intensity, and also take into account the age and individual characteristics of the child’s body. For a 3–5-year-old baby, it is best to play outdoors two times a day for two hours.
Consultant: Alexander Morin, orthopedic and traumatologist, kinesiologist of the Children’s Health Center “Human Health” in Otradny
Indeed, modern children walk less, move less, than, for example, guys of the Soviet era. There are several reasons for this.
* Security. Modern children in matters of pastime on the street are very dependent on the free time of parents. In the 2000s. It is impossible to imagine such a picture: children run to the courtyard until the dark, and mothers from the window leaves call them for supper.
Today, children cannot walk without their parents (this is simply dangerous), and the latter are increasingly burdened with work, since the era of a rationed working day is also long over.
* The lack of active games on the street is also due to the fact that such games are transmitted from the “adult generation” of children to the younger. Now this continuity is broken.
Older children are busy with many non-children’s affairs: studying at school, when there are eight lessons a day, a bunch of sections and tutors (“not to get involved with drug addicts and go to college”). They have no time to mess with the little ones, even if this little one is still taken out for a walk.
* Computer games, TV, Internet – another reason for the inactivity of children. Electronics replaced active games and live chat.
Now the child does not need to run to the next entrance to a friend Kolka to build a spaceship with him. You can only send him a text message and invite him to the network game, where someone has already invented a spacecraft, and at the same time space pirates.
All adventures occur on the screen, and the child can only move the mouse.
Modern parents direct their efforts only on the mental development of children. This is good and right.
But we must not forget that the main activity of a preschooler is a game, not learning English! Otherwise, in a few years we will get a generation of very smart, but physically weak and emotionally immature people who will succeed in their careers, but the problems are in achieving personal happiness. Remember this when, after a busy day, you want to lie on the couch.
Overcome your own laziness and go outside with your child. By the way, Western psychologists conducted a study and found that parents with children just play just one hour a day!
But these games should be by children’s rules, and parents should be emotionally involved in fun, forget that they are adults and serious and “come off” to the fullest – to indulge, play pranks and rage.