When it comes to the relationship of a person’s condition with the weather, you can often hear terms such as meteopathy (or meteosensitivity) and weather dependence. What do they mean?
Translated from the Greek (meteoros – floating in the air and pathos – suffering, illness), meteopathy is a change in well-being due to changing weather conditions. A certain body reaction to each stimulus, be it, for example, a strong wind, atmospheric pressure, solar radiation, humidity, or disturbance of the geomagnetic field of the earth, is inherent in us from birth.
It is a sign that the body is functioning normally and is able to adapt to the environment. Therefore, weather sensitivity is peculiar to all people without exception, because we are also part of nature, and our body is closely associated with its changes.
And really – who doesn’t tend to sleep when it rains outside the window? But in sunny weather, the mood improves as if by itself.
However, in the case when changes in the weather cause serious discomfort and unpleasant sensations in a person due to weakening of the organism or individual hypersensitivity, one can speak of meteorological dependence.
The symptoms of meteorological dependence can be very different:
- distraction, fatigue,
- weakness, drowsiness,
- sudden drops in blood pressure
- dizziness and headache
- muscle pain
- nose bleed,
- pain in the heart,
- exacerbation of chronic diseases, etc.
According to the severity of symptoms, there are three degrees of meteorological dependence:
- mild (manifested only by subjective malaise)
- medium degree (manifested by distinct objective shifts – arterial pressure fluctuations, heart rhythm disturbances, body temperature fluctuations)
- severe degree (manifested by pronounced disorders that depend on the initial state of the body, age, the presence of chronic diseases and their nature)
It is estimated that about 30% of people are truly weather-dependent (have a moderate or severe degree of meteorological dependence). Often, weather dependence is associated with the state of human health.
For example, among those who have no cardiovascular pathologies, there are about 5-10% of meteo-dependent ones. But among hypertensive patients, about 50% are meteo-dependent.
Depending on the set of symptoms that appear in humans, there are several types of meteorological dependence.
Changes in the weather often cause an imbalance of the nervous system.
Symptoms of meteorological dependence on cerebral type:
- headache, migraine,
- midges before the eyes,
- noise in ears,
What will help: to do a light massage of the hands, drink herbal teas recommended by a doctor, observe the daily regimen, rest for a while, get enough sleep.
Some meteo-dependent people may show signs of hypotension.
Symptoms of meteorological dependence on the vegetative-vascular type:
- weakness tiredness
- pressure reduction
- bruises under the eyes
- swelling, sweating,
- headache and palpitations
What will help: to protect yourself from overwork and stress, to allocate time and work, and rest, do not abuse coffee, alcohol and cigarettes, do swimming or hydrotherapy, after consulting a doctor you can receive Eleutherococcus or ginseng.
Magnetic storm or other weather events often cause heart disturbances.
Symptoms of meteorological dependence on the cardiorespiratory type:
- tingling behind the sternum and under the left shoulder blade
- pain in the heart
What will help: drink warm tea with mint and honey, do not abuse coffee. In the presence of serious cardiovascular diseases, it is better to consult your cardiologist.
About 70% of heart attacks and hypertensive crises occur in those days that are unfavorable for magnetic storms.
Changes in the weather often affect the condition of the human musculoskeletal system. This is well known to many older people.
Symptoms of meteorological dependence on rheumatoid type:
- muscle pain
- aching lower back pain
- aches and pains in the joints.
What will help: visit a bath or sauna, take a warm half-hour bath before going to bed (you can add half a kilo of salt to the water), wear warm clothes – socks, and a feather scarf to the lower back.
Sudden gusts of wind, high humidity, sudden cooling can cause even bronchial spasm.
Symptoms meteozavisimosti asthmatic type:
- lack of air,
- sharp difficulty in breathing.
What will help: wrap up before leaving the house in a warm scarf (or rather stay at home that day), do the inhalations prescribed by the doctor (for example, with fir essential oil) and drink herbal decoctions.
People belonging to this type, literally skin feel that something wrong is happening in nature: excessive cold, harsh wind or scorching sun rays provoke skin problems.
Symptoms of meteorological dependence on the skin-allergic type:
- skin rashes,
What will help: take a 10-minute bath with a decoction of sage, celandine, St. John’s wort, chamomile flowers, valerian; give up citrus, alcohol, chocolate.
It happens that bad weather has a negative effect on the digestive system.
Symptoms of meteorological dependence on dyspeptic type:
- stomach ache,
- poor appetite
- belching, heartburn,
- constipation, intestinal problems
What will help: to facilitate the diet, replace heavy meat foods with dairy products, do not eat bread, beans, cabbage, drink the required amount of water.
The treatment of meteorological dependence in most cases comes down to reducing the onset of symptoms.
With a slight degree of meteorological dependence, which, as we remember, is characterized by subjective malaise, yoga and meditation help.
In the case of a moderate and severe meteorological dependence, which are often accompanied by any chronic diseases, you must follow the instructions of your doctor. All hypertensives and cores must take their medications.
Ask your doctor if you need to adjust the dosage and regimen of drugs in adverse days.
What pills should be taken with meteorological dependence, whether it is possible to cure meteorological dependence with medicines – the doctor will tell you about it Drug therapy meteozavisimosti carried out after a clinical, instrumental and laboratory examination with the identification of chronic pathology and determining the type of meteozavisimosti.
In some cases, experts say about meteoneurosis. This happens when the patient is confident that a change in the weather is extremely detrimental to his health, but in fact there is no deterioration. In this case, the consultation will help the psychotherapist.
- Make it a rule to devote time to physical activity. Moderate exercise – walking, running, cycling, skiing, swimming – normalize the cardiovascular system, saturate the blood with oxygen, relieve emotional stress. Attention! It is about a small physical activity that you are well tolerated. It is not necessary to conduct heavy training in adverse weather conditions, it is necessary to protect your body.
- Train your body’s adaptive reactions. If you notice excessive meteorological sensitivity behind you, try tempering, pouring. Contrasting and breathing exercises are also helpful.
- Take care of sufficient lighting during the day, adjust the night’s sleep, try to avoid overwork and stress.
- Provide your body with enough oxygen, regularly walk in fresh air, including on weekdays.
- If possible, do not overload the body on unfavorable days – it is better to lie down, rest, drink tea.
- Eat right.
On unfavorable weather days, it is hard for the whole body. Even if your weather dependence is not of dyspeptic type and does not directly affect the digestive system, it will be superfluous to follow the diet these days. Follow the rules of power in weather conditions:
- Do not overeat.
- Do not abuse meat, fatty, fried foods and desserts.
- Eliminate spicy seasonings and alcoholic beverages, limit salt.
- Follow the drinking regime. It is important to drink enough, but not exceeding the norm, the amount of water. Usually, about one and a half to two liters of pure water per day is considered the norm. Perhaps your body needs a little more or a little less than this amount (calculate the “fork” of your norm, based on its own weight: for 1 kg of weight – 30-40 ml of water).
- Give preference to cereal porridge, fish and seafood, fresh vegetables, fruits, greens.
- You can supplement the diet with vitamin complexes.
Treatment of meteozavisimosti folk remedies
People have their own means of alleviating their condition during meteo-dependence.
- Take pine baths. 1-2 tbsp. spoons of pine extract per bath, duration 10-15 minutes, water temperature 35-37 degrees Celsius. The course of treatment is 15-20 procedures.
- Prepare a decoction of rosehips. Brew rosehip in a thermos, drink the broth hot during the day, with the addition of honey.
- During the day, you can also take toning tinctures of ginseng, Schizandra Chinese, Eleutherococcus.
- At night, drink sedative herbal teas from mint, lemon balm, lime blossom, chamomile.
- Will also help soothing of plant origin (valerian, motherwort, hawthorn).
- If the headache is just starting, try the following remedy: dip the dried mint leaves (1 tsp) for 5 minutes in 200 ml of hot milk. Then remove the leaves, let the milk stand for another half hour, strain and drink.
Vegetative dystonia in pregnant
According to statistics, 80% of the world’s population faces vegetative-vascular dystonia, but in women it occurs three times more often than in men. This proportion raises the logical question: does this violation affect the course of pregnancy? Read more
What is “proper” breathing and why do you need it
Breathing is a powerful tool with which we can control our body and mind, as well as affect our health. But few of us use it. Usually the opposite happens.
We breathe incorrectly and as a result we are constantly in a state close to stressful, our thoughts are scattered, and the body is tired and vulnerable to illness. However, do not despair: to restructure and start breathing correctly is never too late.
Only “right” is what? Read more