1. To begin, measure your baby’s temperature. If the thermometer does not exceed the mark of 38.0 ° C, it is not necessary to “shoot it down” with the help of drugs or in any other way. The exception to this rule will be children under 3 months old and babies who have had convulsions in such a situation.
If we are talking about older children or those whom this problem has passed, the indicator for active actions will be 38.5 ° C.
2. Prepare all that you may need: a roll of cotton wool or gauze, a bowl of diluted with water alcohol-containing and slightly warm solution (vodka – 1: 2, medical 70% alcohol – 1: 3), an ice pack, a febrifuge (syrup and / or candles), measuring spoon, a bottle of warm drink.
3. Strip the baby and do not forget to remove the diaper – it prevents excess heat from coming out. If the baby is chilled, just cover it with a light diaper.
In the first case, the child will be pale, his legs and arms – cold, and his skin – dry. This condition is associated with spasm of blood vessels, which prevents the heat to go out, from which the internal organs begin to overheat. Then all that needs to be done is to give the baby antipyretic medicine, drink it with warm water and call a doctor.
Be careful – attempts to cool the body of the child will only increase the spasm.
But if you notice that the child has become sluggish, his forehead is hot, the skin has turned red, he started to sweat, and the thermometer has risen above 38.0–38.5 ° C, act without delay. This condition is attributed to the “red” hyperthermia – with it we will fight.
4. Take gauze or cotton, moisten it in the prepared solution and wipe the neck, chest, armpits and groin folds of the baby – here the heat is released more strongly.
5. To help your child quickly “cool”, use the fan. Put it at a distance of 1-2 meters from the bed and turn it on for a few minutes 4-5 times per hour.
6. If after 1 hour your actions do not lead to a decrease in temperature, moreover, it will continue to rise, approaching the level of 39.0 ° C, give your child antipyretic medicine: drink syrup or put a candle. Be careful, follow the single and daily dosage of the drug and do not use it for more than 3 days without consulting a pediatrician.
7. Make sure that your baby drank more – he will sweat more, which will increase heat transfer and also reduce the harmful effects of bacteria and viruses on his body (in other words, intoxication), if the reason for the increase is an infection.