Strangely enough, the causes of the most common ailment of the first weeks of waiting for a baby – toxicosis – have not yet been studied. There are many theories, but none of them fully explains why it begins.
It is believed that, overcoming ailments, the future mother’s body is cleared of accumulated toxins and protects itself from harmful substances coming from food.
Another, more realistic theory suggests that the reason lies in the immunological conflict between the woman and the “alien” baby. This version is confirmed by the fact that in severe cases, the future mother is injected with the blood cells of the father (in the form of “vaccinations”), which helps the body to “identify” the one who is inside.
Doctors consider hormonal changes to be another cause of toxicosis. It is no secret that in the first three months a serious hormonal explosion occurs in the body of the future mother: the nascent placenta begins to release significant portions of hormones to save pregnancy. In addition, hormones affect the work of the abdominal organs and the gastrointestinal tract.
That is why future mothers who expect twins or twins suffer from toxicosis more than other women.
Whatever the cause of toxicosis, any expectant mother would like to get rid of unpleasant sensations as soon as possible. To learn this, we suggest you move from theory to practice.
In the morning, nausea occurs in about 70% of women, and vomiting occurs in almost every second. If this happens rarely, that is, no more than 2-3 times a day, and is not accompanied by a lack of appetite and the inability to swallow at least something, this condition is not called toxicosis, but the adaptation of the body to pregnancy.
If nausea and vomiting occur more than 3 times a day, the desire to eat disappears, the weight begins to decrease, it means that the expectant mother is confronted with real toxicosis. It usually begins one week after a delay in menstruation and can last up to 12–16 weeks of gestation.
Ailments are mild, moderate and severe. In the first case, vomiting is repeated 3-5 times a day, more often after eating, does not affect the general condition of the expectant mother, and passes to the 2nd or 3rd month of pregnancy.
Moderate and severe is characterized by bouts of vomiting up to 10–20 times a day, when any piece of food or a sip of water is forced to run to the toilet. In this case, the future mother decreases weight, weakness appears, heartbeat quickens, the skin becomes dry, the amount of urine is reduced.
This condition requires immediate medical attention.
If toxicosis broke out in earnest, you stopped not only eating, but also drinking, immediately go to the doctor. Hunger and dehydration of the body can lead to many unpleasant moments: loss of strength, dry skin, palpitations, increased temperature, reduced pressure.
If the situation is uncritical, but nausea and vomiting badly ruin your life, take note of one of the proven experience and time of money.
- When you leave home, take with you what helps you personally from toxicosis: biscuits, a piece of cheese, an apple.
- Try to get rid of vomiting by alternative medicine – using acupuncture.
- Do not forget to go to the toilet “in a big way”. Do not think that you “do not need it” because you eat little. If there is no stool within 1–2 days, an enema must be done, otherwise toxins from the intestines will enter the bloodstream, and the situation may worsen.
- Avoid stuffy crowded rooms, strong and strong odors, often ventilate the room where you are.
- Lie down after eating.
- One of the most proven remedies for nausea is mint. Stock up on mints, chewing gum or tea.
- Waking up in the morning, do not get up abruptly out of bed. Eat what was cooked in the evening: crackers, biscuits, a wheel, green apple, mandarin. Or drink a glass of water with honey and lemon, cranberry or lingonberry fruit drink, dogrose infusion with a spoonful of honey. A good remedy is liquid porridge for breakfast.
- Mineral water often brings expectant mothers relief. In addition, it is well compensates for the lack of fluid after vomiting.
- Pay attention to the collections of herbs that relieve nausea: peppermint, ginger, lemon balm, raspberry leaves, pharmaceutical chamomile flowers, hop cones.
- Rest often during the day and go to bed early.