- Most popular articles in Getting Pregnant – Pregnancy Help
- 6 Factors That Increase Your Chance Of Having Twins Or Multiples
- How An Abortion Affects Your Chance Of Getting Pregnant Again
Could stress be affecting your fertility?
Could stress be affecting your fertility? If you are trying for a baby, it#39;s a naturally stressful time, but getting stressed out could be affecting your chances of conceiving.
ldquo;Work, money worries, caring for an elderly or sick relative or the death of a loved one can all be incredibly stressful and difficult to deal with,rdquo; says Tim Child, Medical Director of Oxford Fertility, part of the Fertility Partnership (www.oxfordfertilityunit.com).
ldquo;How that stress affects a man or womans ability to create a baby is a tricky one. There have been many studies – some quite unreliable because stress is so difficult to measure – which have looked into this.rdquo;
Evidence, he says, suggests that for those couples just starting to try for a baby, stress at work or in the home isnt a huge factor in their ability to conceive. However, the longer they try the more upset and anxious they can become at not conceiving and this can cause stress levels to rocket.
ldquo;Feelings of loss, grief, anger and sadness at failing to get pregnant can lead to prolonged feelings of anxiety and even depression. That can result in a deterioration in a couples relationship, their sex life dwindling ndash; which clearly has an impact on conception ndash; and even, in rare cases, a woman missing a period because stress chemicals released in her brain interfere with the hormones that lead to ovulation and menstruation,rdquo; Mr Child explains.
In fact those stress chemicals ndash; namely cortisol and adrenalin ndash; are the subject of new fertility studies on Oxidative Stress ndash; the bodys reaction to stress.
ldquo;It seems these stress chemicals dont effect sperm production however they might effect sperm function ndash; how well sperm moves and travels. And they could effect the lining of the womb and the way in which a womans body accepts embryo implantation.rdquo;
Its important to remember that its perfectly normal for many couples to take up to a year to conceive but if you are struggling ndash; particularly if you have embarked on fertility treatment ndash; talking about what stresses you are under and how you feel with each other or a professional counsellor could be key.
Earlier this year the British Medical Journal reported a study of couples going through fertility treatment. Those who received a specific type of counselling called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) stood a much greater chance of conceiving. So talk it out!
- Try to keep the lines of communication open and if you need help to do that, dont be afraid to ask. The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (www.bacp.co.uk) can help you find a professional to talk to. If you are undergoing fertility treatment you will have access to a counsellor at the unit you are registered under
- Bin ovulation predictor kits. They can actually increase stress levels, take the spontaneity out of lovemaking and put pressure on a relationship ndash; and are not always accurate anyway. Instead have sex twice a week. Sperm and eggs stay active for 2-3 days leaving plenty of time for conception
- Consider alternative therapies. Some people find acupuncture, homeopathy or massage very relaxing
- If theres a hobby youve been meaning to get back to/try out do it now! Having another focus takes the pressure off
- Aim to have at least one day or evening a week where you make time for one another and ban all baby talk. Concentrate on whats important ndash; you and your partner, why you enjoy one anothers company and what brought you together in the first place.
Most popular articles in Getting Pregnant – Pregnancy Help
6 Factors That Increase Your Chance Of Having Twins Or Multiples
Time to dig out the family tree and have a think about your diet – they both up your likelihood of having more than one baby…
How An Abortion Affects Your Chance Of Getting Pregnant Again
Knowing youve had an abortion can leave you worried about the impact future pregnancies. So whats the reality? Here’s how an abortion affects your fertility.
What are the best sex positions to get pregnant? The Kama Sutra wont guarantee a pregnancy, but if youre trying to conceive, theres no harm in trying
Contents Most popular articles in Getting Pregnant – Pregnancy Help The vegetable your man needs if you#39;re trying to conceive Brussels sprouts: your…
Contents Most popular articles in Getting Pregnant – Pregnancy Help 5 Bad Habits That Could Be Stopping You From Getting Pregnant Are Fertility Problems…
Contents Most popular articles in Getting Pregnant – Pregnancy Help Struggling To Conceive? The Fertility Treatments That Could Work For You The Mans…
Contents Most popular articles in Trying to conceive: sex your relationship Ovulation Calculator: All You Need To Know If You Want To Conceive Fertility…
Contents Most popular articles in Fertility conditions treatment The Emotions Of Trying To Conceive (TTC): The Man#39;s Perspective Baby Making Sex: How…