22 Scottish baby girl names for your Gaelic girl
Do you want a name tied to strong Scottish heritage? Look no further! We#39;ve combined the most beautiful Scottish names for your baby bairn. From traditional to modern, there are loads of great options to choose from.
- Aili- The Scottish version of Alice, Aili is pronounced #39;ay-lee#39; and makes a great variation on Ailish or Haley. We love how unusual it is.
- Amilia- A variation on Amelia, Amilia has soured in popularity in recent years with many even shortening the name to Mila or Milia.
- Bonnie- Possibly the most popular Scottish name on this list, Bonnie is a traditional baby girl name because of its touching meaning: beautiful. Your baby girl would share her name with many famous figures including legendary Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler.
- Camden- A unique gender-neutral name, Camden was previously a popular boys name but has crossed over much like Cameron. Meaning winding valley, it could be associated with the London hot spot of the same name.
- Caitriona- The full name of popular shorteners like Cait, Caitlin and Triona, Caitriona is pronounced #39;ka-tree-na#39;. It is commonly used in Scotland, and is perfect for any baby due to its beautiful meaning of purity.
- Fiona- This beautiful name owes much of its popularity to Shrek, in which the main heroine is named Princess Fiona. It means fair, and has maintained its popularity in Scotland for decades.
- Isla- While Isla does mean island in Spanish, it is also the name of a Scottish river and has traditional ties to both Spain and Scotland. Popularised by the amazing Isla Fisher, it has topped the baby naming charts in recent years.
- Isobel- The Scottish variation of Isabel, Isobel not only sounds pretty but also has biblical meaning. It means pledged to God, and is tied to many famous people such as Isobel Hawking and Bel Powley.
- Jamie- Choosing this gender-neutral name will have your baby girl join a large crowd of celebrity friends such as Jamie-Lynn Spears and Jaime Lee Curtis. It has an air of strength to it as it means supplanter, someone who takes power.
- Jessie- Another gender-neutral name, Jessie is the anglicized from of Teasagh. Meaning wealthy, it is a common nickname for Jessica.
- Kylie- With origins in both Australia and as a Gaelic name, Kylie stormed up the baby name charts in the 1980#39;s with the rise of Kylie Minogue. It has maintained it#39;s pride of place due to Kylie Jenner, and is sure to stay there for as long as her global fame continues.
- Lilias- A popular Scottish name with Latin origin, Lilias is a beautiful variation on the Lily flower. It also has a magical history, as it was the name of the last known witch of Scotland according to archaeologists who found Lilias Adie#39;s body in 1704. Don#39;t let that put you off though, ever seen The Vampire Diaries or Charmed? Witches are cool now!
- Mairi- The more modern spelling of Mary, this Scottish variation feels a lot cooler. It#39;s also the name of folk singer Mairi Campbell, so a great choice for musical parents.
- Maisie- We love this Scottish variation on Margaret. Meaning pearl, it is an old favourite that still tops charts, likely thanks to the amazing Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones.
- Nessa- Getting Loch ness monster vibes? Nessa actually means from the headland and is a gorgeous variation on Agnes. We love the nickname choices, especially Nessie!
- Rona- The Scottish spelling of Rhona, Rona was coined in the late 19th Century and is begging for a revival. The name of many famous creatives, this name is both charming and unique.
- Scotland- Why not pay the ultimate homage to your heritage and name your daughter after the country itself? The middle name of Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick#39;s daughter, it is sure to rise in popularity in coming years.
- Skye- Another Scottish place-name, the Isle of Skye is a beautiful Island to name your baby after. It#39;s extremely popular in America, with a host of celebrities naming their children Skye.
- Wilma- You may hear Wilma and only be able to picture The Flintstones, but it is actually a popular variation on Wilhelmina. It also has a touching meaning: resolute protection.
- Tay- A cool gender-neutral variation on Taylor, The River Tay is an amazingly scenic river in Scotland. Tay could be short for the Gaelic Tatha, and will surely rise in popularity as Taylor Swift continues to reign over pop music.
- Paisley- The home town of Gerard Butler, your daughter will surely have great taste with this Scottish baby girl name. Meaning church, Paisley is hugely popular not only for its Scottish roots but also as the name of a rich Indian fabric and as the surname of country singer Brad Paisley.
- Norrie- This adorable name is a variation on Honor, a popular virtue name. You could also nickname your daughter the same way Kim Kardashian has, with Nori!
You always know when you#39;ve found #39;the one#39; and this is true for your baby#39;s name too! If none of these names are the perfect fit for your new arrival, why not try our baby name generator?
Most popular articles in Girls baby names
Are you anticipating a festively-timed new addition to the family? Take inspiration from our Christmas baby name suggestions
What are the best boys names? Whether you’re pregnant and looking for inspiration or want to check how popular a name is, we’ve got the top 50 boys’ names
Whether you’re pregnant and looking for baby name inspiration or want to check how popular your little one’s name is, we’ve got the top 50 girl names for 2015
22 of the most popular Greek baby girl names Greek names are exceptionally beautiful with amazing links to mythology. Whether you want a name suited to a…
21 Scottish baby boy names for your little bairn Choosing a name for your baby boy can be as simple as naming them after your parents, but for many…
21 Welsh baby boy names for your little babi Looking to honour your Welsh family or simply want something more unconventional? These Welsh baby boy names…
Contents Most popular articles in Girls baby names Go Global. How Parents Around The World Get Inspiration For Baby Names 10 Of The Best Names To Choose…
22 of the most popular Greek boy baby names Choosing a name of Greek origin means your baby boy will always have a meaningful, mythological and masculine…