maintenance, care, compatibility
Muddy aquarium: from what and why the water becomes cloudy, what to do
Preparations eliminating mechanical turbidity in an aquarium
How to get rid of dregs in an aquarium :: how to clean white dregs in an aquarium :: Fish aquarium
Many aquarists are faced with the problem of turbidity in aquariums. There are several reasons for this phenomenon – algae bloom, biological surge, high levels of organic carbon.
How to get rid of dregs at aquarium?
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
1. Appearance white or gray dregs in new aquarium can be connected in the ground bookmark. Rinse the soil thoroughly before placing it in the aquarium.
As a rule, 1-2 days after the water has been laid, aquarium becomes transparent. The presence of turbid water for three or more days after placing the soil may indicate insufficient thorough washing.
2. If after filling the soil in the new aquarium, the water became transparent, and then the turbidity reappeared – this indicates the establishment of the biological equilibrium of the system. Such dregs are called bacterial. After the formation of a sufficient number of beneficial bacteria, it usually disappears on its own.
In order to make life easier for the fish during this period, it is recommended to replace 1/4 of the aquarium’s water daily. Try to feed the fish as little as possible.
In the first month of use of the aquarium do not run there too many inhabitants.
3. The cause of the appearance of green dregs at aquarium is usually algae bloom. To remove green dregs It is necessary to change 1/4 of water daily. Remove and rinse the filter media of the aquarium filter thoroughly.
Reduce the amount of feed. Turn off the light and do not turn it on until the green dregs disappear. If possible, purchase a special UV sterilizer or use algae remedies sold in pet stores. To avoid the appearance of green dregs, It is recommended to place the aquarium in such a way that it does not fall into direct sunlight.
It is strictly forbidden to place aquariums on the windows on the south side.
4. The appearance of yellow dregs can be triggered by several factors. Such an effect may occur from an excess of fish waste products. In this case, you need to purchase a more powerful aquarium filter. If you recently placed a snag in the aquarium – most likely the reason for the appearance of yellow dregs in this one.
You should know that the process of leaching the wood pigment lasts from 2 to 6 months. After that, the water will again become transparent.
During this period it is recommended to change the water in aquarium a little more often than usual. Another cause of the appearance of yellow dregs there may be rotting plants. Remove dead and diseased algae from the aquarium.
Conduct water purification with activated carbon. However, you should know that it absorbs from the water not only harmful, but also useful substances.
Therefore, the maximum use of the carbon filter is one week. After applying this filter, you need to make sure that all other indicators of water remained normal.
Aquarium fish can die for various reasons. The most common are drastic changes in water parameters, disease, and body wear. The detrimental level of oxygen in the water affects the health of the fish.
In this case, the fish are at the surface of the water, and capture the air. If the problem is not solved in time, the pets will die.
Unfortunately, there are a number of reasons why domestic fish can die.
The level of oxygen in an aquatic environment depends on the temperature of the water (in warm water, a low concentration of dissolved oxygen), chemical indicators, a bacterial film on the surface of the water, outbreaks of ciliates and algae. To solve the problem will help water renewal, intensive aeration.
Fluctuations of the surface layer of water play a leading role in the gas exchange of a closed space.
- Water of inadequate quality (dirty, turbid, toxic). The likely cause of death is poisoning with nitrogenous compounds that are formed after the collapse of fish waste. Improper water purification leads to the fact that nitrites, nitrates and ammonium as toxic substances quickly spread in the water. The correct nitrogenous cycle is a guarantee of the health of all pets. But if the water is poisoned by nitrogenous compounds, it becomes turbid, the smell of rot will appear. The dissolved ammonia can be in a reservoir in high doses at a pH level of 7.5 and above. At lower pH levels, ammonium is not so toxic, but it can harm small fish. Fish die from poisoning with this substance.
Wrong conditions of the settlement of fish, too fast adaptation. Water in a pet store and in a home tank can vary in many ways.
If the fish instantly settle into the water of a different pH level, hardness, temperature, with a difference of one unit and more, then they die within 24 hours or one week. It is advisable to take water from the store aquarium in a portable package, and pour it into a separate container.
It is necessary to add water from the main reservoir in portions, not more than 5% of the total volume, at intervals of 10 minutes. Fish can be transplanted into the aquarium after the part of the aquarium water in the tank becomes higher than 60-75% of the total volume.
See how to properly transplant aquarium fish.
Gas embolism is a disease that can lead to the sudden death of a fish. On the eyes, the body can be seen capillaries, the body turns red, the fish swims from corner to corner, the body is covered with air bubbles, the scales are tousled.
The disease is the result of a sharp replacement of water (more than 50%), or the settlement of the pet in the water, recruited directly from the tap.
What to do if you find a dead fish in the walls of the aquarium?
- Look at the number of fish in the tank. Recount them in the morning and in the hours of feeding. What is their condition, do they take food well? Are there fish that refuse food? Is it possible bloating in one of the fish? If you have not found any fish, check all the corners in the aquarium by lifting the lid. Inspect the plants, caverns and all the scenery. If after a few days the dead fish did not float to the surface, it may have suffered from a neighbor in the aquarium, and you can hardly find it. Sometimes the fish fall into an unprotected filter, and die there. In any case, keep searching until you find the visible reasons for the disappearance.
Check the water parameters. Water is often the main cause of poor health.
Take tests with indicators, and make the necessary measurements. The increased content of ammonia and nitrates in water, heavy metals leads to the fact that pets die quickly. If the aquarium has a decorative element made of iron, zinc, copper – this is another pointer.
Some fish do not tolerate metal, and suddenly die.
Watch a video on why water tests are needed and how to use them.
After the test results, draw conclusions. The test will show two results – either you have everything in order in the aquarium, or the water is dirty and there is an overabundance of toxic substances in it.
In the second case, you need to enable powerful filtering, and make a replacement of 25% of the aquarium water for clean and infused. Dramatically change the parameters of the water is not necessary, it can harm living fish.
With the help of an aquarium your home will be filled with beauty, comfort and warmth of exotic reservoirs. Aquarium is a great place to observe beautiful fish and calm meditation.
However, a damaged tank can ruin both your mood and the health of its inhabitants. Sometimes the water goes out and it stinks like a swamp.
Muddy water spoils the impression, and makes the nursery unfit for further use. The problem requires an immediate solution, which involves finding out the cause and its immediate elimination.
The main reasons why the water from the aquarium smells unpleasant, are indicated below:
- Irregular cleaning of the tank or poor cleaning (filtration);
- Improper aeration, due to which the water is not saturated with sufficient oxygen;
- Unsuitable aquarium plants;
- Nursery overpopulation – little water is allocated to one adult animal;
- Overfeeding fish, reptiles or amphibians;
- Feeding pets low-quality food;
- The sudden death of the inhabitants of the reservoir, the body goes dead and decomposes;
- The appearance of sludge in the soil and water.
If the aquarium fluid has become rotten, which has strongly started to smell, and even smells like a swamp, it is possible to establish the causes of the imbalance of the aquatic environment through practice and observation. In the course of the research, it will be possible to determine the method by which turbid water, which goes dead and smells unpleasant, will be neutralized.
To solve the problem should be phased actions.
- Decide whether you chose the right fish food. To do this, change the water, buy another, better food and test it in a few days. After a day, a turbid liquid that smells like a swamp has disappeared and is clean, odorless, which means the cause of the problem was unsuitable food. In the case where the action did not lead to a result, other reasons should be sought.
- It so happens that you feed the fish and other animals with high-quality feed, but the aquatic environment is still muddy and “gives” the swamp. Probably, you overfeed the inhabitants of the nursery, and they do not have time to eat all the granules. Not all fish eat a lot, so arrange unloading diets for them and add less feed to the water. After a few days, smell the tank – if the unpleasant smell has disappeared. If yes, then you have found the reason. The uneaten food is mixed with the soil, decomposing.
Watch a video on how to feed the fish properly.
If you are a beginner aquarist and for the first time launched an aquarium, due to lack of experience you could create the wrong neighborhood in the nursery. It turns out that not all types of fish, snails, amphibians and reptiles get along together. Some will disturb others, and because of close space, someone will fall ill and die, quietly sinking to the bottom.
Due to severe stress, insufficient shelters and swimming places, the inhabitants of the reservoir excrete feces with a characteristic aroma. After a day or two, muddy water will appear with a stench. What to do – get a spacious tank, pour water into it with suitable parameters, and populate compatible pets there.
Or buy two aquariums at once, if many species are incompatible within the same space. Also carefully inspect the bottom – maybe one of the fish died, and the body is still not removed.
- install a compressor with high power;
- replace the filter with a new one, with a forced circulation system;
- Ask a specialist how to adjust the oxygen supply to an acceptable level.
See how to replace the water and clean the soil in the aquarium.
In the aquarium, the liquid is rotting and the marsh stinks – how to clean the water?
Did you find out why the aquarium stinks, but you are not exactly sure what to do? Proper cleaning of the fish nursery is your main assistant! When all the above tips have not led to the expected result, you will have to make a new plan to save the reservoir and its inhabitants.
It consists in the correct cleaning of the container from harmful impurities and parasites, which are the main causes of an unpleasant smell. Before capital cleaning prepare such tools:
- at least 5-10 liter jars with infused water of appropriate parameters for the temporary settlement of fish;
- net, scraper and sponge;
- big bucket;
- special liquid to remove contamination from aquarium glass (available in stores);
- aquarium pump;
- pH adjuster.
Remove all animals from the nursery with a net by placing them in a jar of water. Disconnect the tank from the supply of current, light, turn off the filter and aerator. Rinse and clean the sponge.
Use a scraper and a sponge to clean the windows, removing plaque, algae and other droppings from them. Take the pump, lower one end into the bucket, the second into the tank with dirty water, then pump out from 20 to 50% of all the water, depending on when it was last changed.
Put gauze on the pump, and run it along the bottom of the ground, the air will make the bottom siphon. After cleaning, remove all decorations.
The scenery should be pulled out and processed, leaving them in a separate container with a little salted water (1 teaspoon per 20 liters) or scalding them with boiling water. If plaque forms on them, scrape it with an unnecessary toothbrush or gauze.
After processing, place the decorations on a clean cloth to dry, then reinstall in the aquarium.
Pour into the aquarium a new, clean water of the same parameters that fish and plants used to (temperature, pH, hardness). Infused water should be three days for chlorine to evaporate from it.
Polish the outer glass of the tank (liquid for aquarium glass), and then reconnect all the devices. After the procedure, gradually run the fish.
Cleaning can be done in a few hours, the main thing – to adhere to accuracy.
Experienced breeders strongly advise settling in the nursery of the “orderlies” of the reservoir – freshwater snails, speckled catfish, mollies, antsistrusov, girinoheyl, labo, Japanese pond shrimps. The fishes living in the lower layers do an excellent job with the uneaten food that fell to the bottom, the snails eat carrion, and the shrimps and other fish mentioned above do an excellent job with algae.
When settling, you should consider compatibility with each other, then your aquarium will resemble a natural biotope, with crystal clear water and beautiful living creatures.