maintenance, care, compatibility
Muddy water in an aquarium is a common phenomenon that almost every aquarist has encountered. Sometimes the causes of the problem are found quickly, and sometimes it takes a long time to figure out why the water has become cloudy.
How to deal with the formation of turbidity, what is recommended to do and what is not?
The causes of muddy water in an aquarium can be varied, and it is not as easy to deal with them as it seems at first glance.
- Turbidity can occur due to swimming in the pond of small particles of algae, solid organics and cyanobacteria. There is another unobtrusive reason – poor washing of the aquarium soil and inaccurate pouring water from a clean tank. This type of turbidity does not threaten the water and the fish, you can do nothing with it. After some time, the muddy part of the water will settle, or seep into the filter, remaining there. The formation of turbidity can provoke fish who love to plow the ground, but these actions for the reservoir are completely harmless.
- Turbid water in an aquarium can be caused by cichlids, goldfish and tail finch fish – their active movement in a reservoir is the cause of the resulting turbidity. If a filter is not installed in the tank, it will be difficult to clean the water.
- Often, muddy water appears after the first start of the aquarium, after the fresh water inlet. Nothing to do, in a day or two the sediment will fall to the ground and disappear. The mistake of novice aquarists is a partial or complete renewal of water, which is considered a gross error. When adding new water to a newly launched aquarium, the bacteria will become even more! If the aquarium is small, you can install a sponge filter that quickly cleans the pond.
Watch the video about the device and the operation of the internal filter.
- Malicious bacteria in an aquarium can also be causes of turbidity. When the water becomes green, then it’s time to draw conclusions – this is an unnatural color. Muddy and green water is formed due to overcrowding of the aquarium with fish or plants. That is, the aquarium fluid passes through the filter, but is not cleaned. The abundance of metabolic products provokes the formation of putrefactive microorganisms, ciliates and other unicellular. If ciliates are beneficial, the bacteria can harm the plants – they will start to rot. In order not to be surprised why fish and plants often get sick – watch the aquarium clean and tidy.
- Why still breed single-celled? Because you do not have time to clean the tank after heavy feeding. For aquarism it is better to underfeed than to feed. This rule will protect the fish from problems. After overfeeding again the water got cloudy – what to do? Arrange a pet unloading diet for a couple of days, the bacteria will die out, the water biobalance will be restored.
- Incorrectly installed decoration. Snags, plastic materials of poor quality dissolve in water, forming a muddy shade. If the scenery is new wooden, but untreated – they can be boiled or infused in salt solution. Plastic snags should be replaced with new ones.
- In the old, stagnant nursery with fish, sediment is formed due to “whiteness after fish treatment”, this is when drugs and purification chemistry for aquarium glass were used in the pond. Such substances have a number of side effects, they disrupt the biological equilibrium, neutralizing the favorable microflora.
Now we know the reasons why the water grows cloudy in the aquarium, and what to do in each case. However, there are general rules, without which it is impossible to completely eliminate the problem.
- Siphonte the ground in the aquarium. Open the filter, rinse and clean. Then add activated carbon to it – this needs to be done to absorb harmful substances. It is forbidden to make a complete replacement of water and washing the aquarium soil, otherwise the beneficial bacteria will die out and will not be able to process rot and algae.
See how to siphon the soil in the aquarium.
- In some cases, it is necessary to do an intensive aeration of the aquarium – when there are a lot of fish feed residues and a fasting day is not enough. Oxygen will quickly remove excess organic matter.
- If an unpleasant smell disappears in an aquarium, it means that the struggle with mist is over successfully. Also for elimination of bacterial turbidity it is possible to use elodeya, having landed it superficially in a ground.
The color of turbidity will tell about the sources of its formation:
- The water color is greenish – single-celled algae reproduce;
- Brown water – peat, humic and tannins, poorly processed snags;
- Milky white color – unicellular bacteria begin to multiply;
- The color of the water coincides with the color of the soil or of a stone recently laid on it, which means that the soil was plowed by fish, or the stone turned out to be fragile.
Drugs that prevent the appearance of a cloudy precipitate
- Aquarium coal is absorbent, which is added after cleaning the tank to the filter for a period of 2 weeks. After extraction, you can fill in a new batch there.
- Tetra Aqua CrystalWater is a tool that binds small particles of dirt into one, after which they can be removed or passed through a filter. After 8-12 hours the reservoir will be crystal clear. Dosage – 100 ml per 200 liters of water.
- Sera Aquaria Clear – also binds sediment particles, passing it through the filter. During the day, dirt can be removed from the cassette. The drug does not contain harmful substances.
- Before adding sorbents to water, it is better to move the fish to another container.
In order to avoid turbid water, it is necessary to control the level of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. They stand out as a result of the vital activity of fish, plants and improper care of the water body.
Therefore, fish should be settled in the tank, the size of which corresponds to its volume. Proper feeding of pets, timely cleaning of the products of their vital activity, removal of rotten plants will settle the water balance.
If there is no mechanical or biological filter in the aquarium, replace 30% of the water weekly with fresh and sedimented. Do not add water from the pipeline with the smell of chlorine or boiled.
See also: What water to pour into the aquarium with fish?
Muddy water in the aquarium: what to do -description of problems photo video.
The question “How does a little girl retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months old)? “- 3 answers
Some newcomers are in a hurry to equip their first aquarium and populate it with fish. Therefore, after a few hours the water becomes turbid with a whitish tinge.
This is due to the violation of the biological balance – the number of bacteria increases dramatically. Water must first go through a period of “ripening”.
To do this, you first need to plant aquarium plants, pour the water that has settled for two days and leave the aquarium for several days. During this time, the water will become transparent, sometimes slightly greenish.
Biological balance will be restored and now you can run the fish.
In some cases, and in a long-functioning aquarium, the mass reproduction of bacteria begins, this happens when there are a lot of fish and the aquarium is not cared for. In this case, you should do a general cleaning.
Sow the fish in another container, clean the soil, remove excess plants, replace the water and wait a few days until the water is clear – the balance will not return to normal.
Sometimes water can become cloudy if you give a lot of dry food. Fish eat it poorly, the remnants begin to rot, which contributes to the proliferation of bacteria.
Therefore, it is recommended to switch to the use of live food, for example, bloodworms. It should be given at the rate of up to 5 pieces per medium fish.
Also great help in the destruction of uneaten remnants of food provide snails, but their numbers also need to be controlled.
Under the wrong light, the water may turn green, become muddy, and a raid appears on the glasses, plants and decorations. This is due to the rapid increase in the amount of algae. In such cases, make the replacement of the third part of the water 1 time per week, run the fish that eat algae, strengthen or, conversely, reduce the lighting.
Be sure to turn on water filtration. Remove plaque from windows with a special scraper.
The problem of turbidity is easier to prevent than to eliminate. Therefore, follow a few rules:
– do not change the water in the aquarium completely, except for emergency measures;
– adjust the amount of feed, normally it should be eaten with fish for 10-15 minutes;
– watch the number of fish in the aquarium, do not allow overcrowding;
– regularly replace water;
– Do not forget to remove overgrown plants, clean the soil and filter the water.
Aquarium fish can die for various reasons. The most common are drastic changes in water parameters, disease, and body wear.
The detrimental level of oxygen in the water affects the health of the fish. In this case, the fish are at the surface of the water, and capture the air.
If the problem is not solved in time, the pets will die. Unfortunately, there are a number of reasons why domestic fish can die.
The level of oxygen in an aquatic environment depends on the temperature of the water (in warm water, a low concentration of dissolved oxygen), chemical indicators, a bacterial film on the surface of the water, outbreaks of ciliates and algae. To solve the problem will help water renewal, intensive aeration.
Fluctuations of the surface layer of water play a leading role in the gas exchange of a closed space.
- Water of inadequate quality (dirty, turbid, toxic). The likely cause of death is poisoning with nitrogenous compounds that are formed after the collapse of fish waste. Improper water purification leads to the fact that nitrites, nitrates and ammonium as toxic substances quickly spread in the water. The correct nitrogenous cycle is a guarantee of the health of all pets. But if the water is poisoned by nitrogenous compounds, it becomes turbid, the smell of rot will appear. The dissolved ammonia can be in a reservoir in high doses at a pH level of 7.5 and above. At lower pH levels, ammonium is not so toxic, but it can harm small fish. Fish die from poisoning with this substance.
Wrong conditions of the settlement of fish, too fast adaptation. Water in a pet store and in a home tank can vary in many ways. If the fish instantly settle into the water of a different pH level, hardness, temperature, with a difference of one unit and more, then they die within 24 hours or one week.
It is advisable to take water from the store aquarium in a portable package, and pour it into a separate container. It is necessary to add water from the main reservoir in portions, not more than 5% of the total volume, at intervals of 10 minutes.
Fish can be transplanted into the aquarium after the part of the aquarium water in the tank becomes higher than 60-75% of the total volume.
See how to properly transplant aquarium fish.
Gas embolism is a disease that can lead to the sudden death of a fish. On the eyes, the body can be seen capillaries, the body turns red, the fish swims from corner to corner, the body is covered with air bubbles, the scales are tousled.
The disease is the result of a sharp replacement of water (more than 50%), or the settlement of the pet in the water, recruited directly from the tap.
What to do if you find a dead fish in the walls of the aquarium?
- Look at the number of fish in the tank. Recount them in the morning and in the hours of feeding. What is their condition, do they take food well? Are there fish that refuse food? Is it possible bloating in one of the fish? If you have not found any fish, check all the corners in the aquarium by lifting the lid. Inspect the plants, caverns and all the scenery. If after a few days the dead fish did not float to the surface, it may have suffered from a neighbor in the aquarium, and you can hardly find it. Sometimes the fish fall into an unprotected filter, and die there. In any case, keep searching until you find the visible reasons for the disappearance.
Check the water parameters. Water is often the main cause of poor health.
Take tests with indicators, and make the necessary measurements. The increased content of ammonia and nitrates in water, heavy metals leads to the fact that pets die quickly.
If the aquarium has a decorative element made of iron, zinc, copper – this is another pointer. Some fish do not tolerate metal, and suddenly die.
Watch a video on why water tests are needed and how to use them.
After the test results, draw conclusions. The test will show two results – either you have everything in order in the aquarium, or the water is dirty and there is an overabundance of toxic substances in it. In the second case, you need to enable powerful filtering, and make a replacement of 25% of the aquarium water for clean and infused.
Dramatically change the parameters of the water is not necessary, it can harm living fish.