maintenance, care, compatibility
Have you ever heard that the water in the aquarium bloomed or turned green, and very quickly. What to do in this case?
First, you need to find out the reason, and second, learn how to deal with it.
Why is the water in the aquarium green? The reason is as follows: when blue-green algae reproduce, or euglena, to wait for the landscaping of the water.
You should know that these algae are single-celled and they float on the surface of the water in the form of an invisible film. Euglena is an important part of the food chain of the underwater world, and under the necessary conditions (reduction of nutrients, carbon dioxide and oxygen, a wide range of temperature conditions), it is rapidly multiplying.
It is not so easy to get rid of the flowering of water, given its sudden flashes. With strong light (green algae love it), with frequent renewal of water using chemicals, the biological filtration system of aquarium water gets lost, as a result of which euglena multiplies and grows.
How green algae appear in water – additional reasons
Blue-green algae like long-lasting lighting, more than 10-12 hours a day. This is another reason why the reservoir blooms. When you start a new aquarium, you should light it gradually, starting from 4 hours a day, increasing the number of daylight hours to 10 hours.
Also, do not forget that with an excess of fertilizers for plants, the amount of phosphorus decreases. Plants grow poorly, and the water begins to turn green. That is why it is necessary to eliminate all the errors that are allowed during the maintenance of the aquarium:
- When starting the aquarium, the illumination is set up incorrectly, a large number of plants are planted;
Watch the video story about aquarium lighting.
- Frequent tank maintenance (water renewal, cleaning, aeration);
- Enhanced feeding of fish;
- High water temperature in the tank;
- Reverse cases – a rare care for the aquarium – not enough aeration, fresh water, no compressor.
Why is water blooming not a sentence? If you know the main thing that “greens” causes ammonia released by algae, everything will quickly fall into place.
New, recently launched aquariums are sometimes not serviced correctly, which causes an incorrect nitrogen cycle. The first outbreak of euglena can lead to the fact that it will be difficult to get rid of it forever. To regulate the nitrogen cycle when starting the aquarium, turn on the light for only a couple of hours for 30 days, use “old” water from the old aquarium and the used filter cartridge.
This normalizes the nitrogen cycle.
There are more ways to get rid of algae. What to do:
- Use an ultraviolet sterilizer to help neutralize euglen. Once turned on, it will destroy algae cells with ultraviolet light.
See how to choose the right UV sterilizer.
- Install a diatom filter – an effective way when dealing with green algae.
- Turn off the light in time. This method controls the appearance of “green” water, and will save time and money on additional equipment. Cover the aquarium on time. Feed the fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium for 7 hours of daylight. Healthy plants can live in water for about a week without using light. After the procedure, you can change 30% of the water to fresh.
- The use of coagulants – small particles in a mechanical filter that removes flowering from a water tank.
- Destroys the blue-green algae granular activated carbon added to the filter. In the process of “treatment” the filter can be cleaned 1-2 times a week.
- The use of micro cartridges also blocks outbreaks of flowering.
- In certain cases, combine these methods while simultaneously applying filters and ultraviolet (as an example).
The disturbed biological balance of the aquatic environment quickly deteriorates the health of living beings living in it. There are good recommendations that are suitable for aquariums with small fish, where the water is green, and the plants are not planted deep in the ground. To prevent the fish from getting sick, the following procedures should be performed:
- send pets to other aquariums or tanks with clean water and similar composition of water; make sure the fish do not get sick;
- transplant plants into other containers, adding methylene blue to them – the dose can be found on the package;
- clean the aquarium from the old soil, and buy a new one, treat it from parasites;
- dispose of green water (pour it into drains);
- empty container should be washed, filled with new water, adding to it 1-2 teaspoons of soda, which will create alkali;
- leave the aquarium with soda for 24 hours;
- re-boil the aquarium snags, the grottoes and artificial decorations can be transplanted into the aquarium with soda, after treatment, rinse everything in running water;
- After the procedure, you can start the aquarium again.
Why is the water green in the aquarium and how to deal with it?
Self-purification of water in natural aquatic ecosystems occurs due to physicochemical and biological processes involving hydrobionts: living organisms and plants. The condition of the aquarium water depends on the organization of the system (maintenance mode, power and type of filter, the presence of living plants, drifts, the number of fish and food).
The color of water can change under the influence of various factors. Thus, the low content of oxygen in it, which is consumed for the oxidation of organic matter, leads to an increase in the concentration of decomposition products. The water becomes cloudy, gets the smell of hydrogen sulfide.
But there are cases when it becomes green. So why is the water green in the aquarium?
The reason for its turbidity is the mass reproduction of bacteria, and the water turns green usually from green microscopic euglenic algae that multiply in an aquarium. Euglena is normally always present in the aquarium, but during its reproduction, water “blooms”, which can be painted in yellow-green, green colors. More often it is observed in aquariums with excessive brightness of the light source.
Often, fans of ornamental fish, acquiring aquariums for the home, place them in the most convenient and cost-effective place – near the windows. Direct intense sunlight contributes to the active reproduction in water of green algae, which cover the glass aquarium, decorations, plants.
Strong artificial lighting also contributes to the reproduction of euglena. It can be brought into the aquarium and with live food for fish from natural waters.
The first actions that are taken by novice aquarists are a complete replacement of water, cleaning plants, decorations. Similar, logical at first glance, events only aggravate the situation, causing bewilderment and the question of why the water is green in the aquarium, despite all efforts.
Changing water does not improve the situation. It is necessary to eliminate the causes of its “flowering” – turn off the light for a few days, shade the aquarium, located near the window. After this, the regular change of water and cleaning of the soil will allow to correct the situation, since light and nutrients only stimulate the growth of green algae.
Keep the aquarium clean at all times.
You should know that the process of water self-purification will accelerate with the addition of “old” water (1/3 of the total) to the aquarium, pre-stored, rich in humic acid and a set of microorganisms that help restore a healthy environment. You should know that it is harvested from a prosperous aquarium, not overcrowded with fish, with well-growing plants.
In order not to wonder about why the water is green in the aquarium, you can run daphnias into it. In this case, it is better to seed the fish so that they do not destroy the crustaceans.
You can also purify water with the help of special preparations acquired in pet stores. Algae die off when a solution of rivanol, trypaflavin, penicillin, streptomycin is added to the aquarium.
Special diatomaceous filters and UV sterilizers help to eliminate the “blooming” of water.
In order to no longer wonder why water is turning green in an aquarium, it is necessary to achieve the necessary biological balance for its aquarium inhabitants. To support it, you need to adjust the lighting: apply curtains, screens, change the power of the lamps.
Remember that it is important where the aquariums are installed. The fish will feel great with proper lighting, proper feeding, aeration and filtering.
It is useful to acquire new inhabitants of the underwater world who eat algae. These are pteregoplichts, antsitrusy, which remove plaque from glasses, mollies, Siamese seaweeds, Japanese shrimps, snails, ampouleries.
Almost all aquarium lovers ask the same question: why is the water in the aquarium turning green? And although this phenomenon does not harm the inhabitants of the small underwater world, from the point of view of aesthetics, the aquarium view is spoiled.
In addition, the green water in the aquarium will be disastrous dangerous for fish running directly from a clean pond.
We will try to figure out why water is blooming, and what to do about it.
Water blooms for various reasons, and therefore you need to have a general idea of all of them. So:
- First of all, improper lighting can spoil the water in the aquarium. This is due to the fact that the aquarist simply does not know the simplest rules of lighting. Water may bloom due to excessive lighting in the aquarium or due to improperly selected light mode for the season;
- also, the water in the aquarium may bloom due to pollution;
- finally, another reason for the bloom of water is improper feeding.
Often, beginning aquarists, because of ignorance of the key feeding rules, themselves provoke the fact that the water is green. This may be caused by a large amount of feed.
Since the fish do not eat much at once, the remains of food settle to the bottom of the aquarium and begin to rot.
That is why the flowering of water in the aquarium. Accordingly, in order to prevent this, it is necessary not to make the listed errors.
But what if the water in the aquarium has already become green?
In this case, you need to quickly and efficiently clean the water. In this issue you can take into account several useful recommendations.
- So, you can run more daphnids alive. A little more means as much as your fish cannot eat at a time. The fact is that daphnias effectively deal with algae that fill the space under water;
- You can also purchase special drugs that are designed specifically for cases with green water. Such drugs are sold in almost all pet stores;
- An effective way would be to settle into the aquarium of such creatures who love to eat algae and, therefore, help in matters of water clarification. Such creatures include mollies, snails, shrimps, catfish;
- If soil contamination is observed, it should be thoroughly cleaned. At this time, the inhabitants of the aquarium should be transplanted into a different container;
- It is possible that the pollution is due to equipment malfunction, so it is worth checking its condition;
- They also recommend using a chemical cleaning method. Its essence lies in the fact that streptomycin powder dissolves in water, and the resulting solution is added to the aquarium. Do not be afraid, because this method is absolutely safe for fish;
- In addition, there are specially designed filters to eliminate green water. For example, there is a sterilizer that destroys algae with ultraviolet rays.
If contamination is caused by improper feeding
Why does the aquarium quickly turn green, does the water turn green in the aquarium?
In aquarism there can be problems that can be encountered not only by a beginner, but also by an experienced specialist in this field. One of the most frequent occurrences is when the water becomes green.
The reasons why this happens may be several, however, as well as ways to eliminate this phenomenon. The first reason for the change in water color is an excess of intensity or duration of light, as well as a direct hit of sunlight in an aquarium.
Due to these factors, there is a rapid reproduction of unicellular algae, which spoil the beauty of our little underwater world.
If the process of “gardening” water is not started to a catastrophic limit, then, apart from the aesthetic aspect, there are no special problems. Danger to the inhabitants of your aquarium, this situation does not amount to.
But in order to cope with this problem and avoid it in the future, you need to understand why the aquarium quickly turns green in your case, and what actions need to be taken.
Much depends on the correct choice of location: it is desirable not to have the aquarium in places where sunlight will fall. If you see that the water and glass are green, then shade the aquarium for a while – this will help the destruction of algae.
Remarkable helpers in such cases are catfish, shrimp and snails. It is also possible to launch live daphnids into the aquarium – in much larger quantities than is necessary for feeding. Fishes will not have time to eat daphnias, and the latter will clean the aquarium for a rather short period of time.
Feeding the fish during this period should be stopped.
Partial replacement of water in this case will bring only the opposite effect – the algae will begin to multiply even more intensively.
There are several other reasons why water is turning green in an aquarium – this is insufficient hygiene of the aquarium, accumulation of dead leaves of plants and sewage, as well as remnants of food that the fish do not have time to eat. If the inhabitants of the aquarium do not have time to eat food for 10-15 minutes, then its amount should be reduced.
It is systematically necessary to check the serviceability of equipment providing aeration and filtration of water. You also need to clean the aquarium, soil, glass, leaves of plants.
Timely implementation of these procedures will ensure proper chemical and biological balance of water.
To date, there are many drugs that will help cope with the reproduction of algae – they can be purchased in specialized stores. Such preparations are harmless to the inhabitants of the aquarium and plants, and the simplest algae will be destroyed in the shortest time.
All the reasons why greens appear on the walls of the aquarium
The most common reason why greens appear on the walls of an aquarium is an excess of light. It may be too bright or too long. Direct rays of our Sun also have a negative effect on the state of water.
The light favors the active reproduction of the simplest (single-celled) algae, which first “plant” the liquid medium and then begin to grow on the inner surfaces of the aquarium.
To deal with this is very simple. Shade a fish house. If the greens on the walls of the aquarium have not yet fully tightened them, the breeding process will at least stop.
Snails and daphnids can destroy the attack. The latter must be run into the “pool” in such an amount that the fish do not have time to eat them.
And if you want to diversify the population of the aquarium, buy catfish – they do an excellent job with thickets on the walls.
Some aquarists believe that partial landscaping gives good results during landscaping – naturally, with filtration. This is not true.
On the contrary, such actions will lead to even greater growth of the green colony.
So far, they have been talking about unicellular unwanted “neighbors”. However, the most terrible enemy are multicellular – cyanophytes. They are the reason why greens appear on the walls of the aquarium, with a bluish or brownish tinge.
They begin to spread from the bottom, then they crawl along the walls and plants with unpleasant thick mucus. They can also form floating islands, making it difficult for oxygen to enter the aquarium.
The nitrogen-containing compounds are to blame for cyanophytes, and again, an excess of light contributes to rapid reproduction. It is very difficult to remove these algae, it is better to prevent their generation.
First of all, it is necessary to plant many plants at once in a new aquarium, combining them with floating species that grow quickly (fit the elodea, nyas or pemphigus), it is better to lower the pH of the water to the mark 6. Algae-eating fish will also be very helpful in the difficult struggle. The smallest colonies of blue-green pests must be immediately cleaned.
If you are lucky and if the process is not too running, you will win them. If not, you will have to re-equip the aquarium.
The good news is that blue-green algae in a healthy glass house does not survive, so this attack happens quite rarely.