maintenance, care, compatibility
Why is the water green in the aquarium :: the water is green in the aquarium what to do :: Aquarium fish
“Flowering” of water is typical for various reservoirs, including home aquariums. Water usually turns green in the summer – in July or August, this process can be accompanied by an unpleasant smell and death of the fish.
To get rid of “flowering”, you need to find out its cause.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
1. In addition to fish, snails, plants and other living creatures, plankton lives in an aquarium, causing water to bloom – filamentous and unicellular green algae. In conditions of medium or low light, low water temperature, phytoplankton multiplies slowly, the water remains clear.
Some factors contribute to the intensive increase in the mass of microorganisms.
2. The most basic reason for the enhanced growth of microscopic algae is a large amount of light. If the aquarium’s lighting is too intense, the water may turn green even in winter.
In the summer, there is enough natural daylight to “bloom”, especially if the aquarium is in direct sunlight.
3. The second important factor in the “blooming” of water is the increase in its temperature. The active division of phytoplankton begins when the water temperature becomes higher than the average annual.
4. The presence of excessive amounts of organic matter in water is another factor contributing to the growth of microorganisms. If you poorly conduct aquarium hygiene and regularly overfeed the fish, phytoplankton, especially Euglena green, begins to divide in this nutrient medium.
5. The last factor affecting the purity of the aquarium is the lack of clean water. If you save on the filter and aeration, chemical-chemical balance of water suffers, which leads to the transformation of the aquarium into a “swamp”.
6. The most radical way to get rid of “flowering” – a complete replacement of water, followed by shading the aquarium. If it is problematic to completely change the water, it can be changed to a third and cover the aquarium from the light. Without illumination, phytoplankton will cease to multiply, and infusoria, for which it is food, will purify water.
In addition, the aquarium can be populated with daphnia, shrimp, catfish, snails, which also feed on microscopic algae.
7. If the water is green – reduce the amount of food for the inhabitants of the aquarium. Normally, fish should eat everything in 5-15 minutes. For a day or two, you can even completely stop feeding – the fish will have enough of the food that is already in the water.
Watch also for the proper operation of the devices for filtering and aerating the aquarium – this helps to avoid excessive accumulation of organic matter in the water.
Slight greening of the water for the fish is not considered dangerous, but if the “bloom” is strong enough, it can be fatal for some inhabitants of the aquarium. Green algae litter the gills of fish, and in addition, at night, phytoplankton needs oxygen, as a result of which the “official” inhabitants of the aquarium begin to choke.
If all your efforts do not lead to water purification, try using chemicals – they can be purchased at pet stores. At observance of the instruction and the specified doses these substances are safe for inhabitants of an aquarium and plants.
The cause of the turbidity of the water is considered “euglena”, known as free-floating alga. It is an integral part of the food chain and quickly adapts to environmental conditions.
The national name “green water” exactly describes the appearance of the vessel, in which such alga is present. Most often, aquarium owners are faced with a problem eugle some weeks after launch.
But why does the water turn green in the aquarium and the algae reproduction begins? There are several reasons:
- Wrong lighting. Excessive light triggers the growth of small algae. If the lighting in the aquarium works for more than 10 hours, then this can be considered favorable conditions for the development of euglena. Starting the aquarium lighting should be turned on for 4 hours, adding a couple of hours in 3 days.
- Excess ammonia. That it is often available in new aquariums and with large-scale changes of fluid. Watch out for the composition of the water you are adding and this problem can be avoided.
- Improper feeding. Overfeeding the fish can cause water bloom. Excess food, not eaten by fish, will settle at the bottom and will be the main reason why the stones are green in the aquarium.
The causes of muddy water in an aquarium can be varied, and it is not as easy to deal with them as it seems at first glance.
- Turbidity can occur due to swimming in the pond of small particles of algae, solid organics and cyanobacteria. There is another unobtrusive reason – poor washing of the aquarium soil and inaccurate pouring water from a clean tank. This type of turbidity does not threaten the water and the fish, you can do nothing with it. After some time, the muddy part of the water will settle, or seep into the filter, remaining there. The formation of turbidity can provoke fish who love to plow the ground, but these actions for the reservoir are completely harmless.
- Turbid water in an aquarium can be caused by cichlids, goldfish and tail finch fish – their active movement in a reservoir is the cause of the resulting turbidity. If a filter is not installed in the tank, it will be difficult to clean the water.
- Often, muddy water appears after the first start of the aquarium, after the fresh water inlet. Nothing to do, in a day or two the sediment will fall to the ground and disappear. The mistake of novice aquarists is a partial or complete renewal of water, which is considered a gross error. When adding new water to a newly launched aquarium, the bacteria will become even more! If the aquarium is small, you can install a sponge filter that quickly cleans the pond.
Watch the video about the device and the operation of the internal filter.
- Malicious bacteria in an aquarium can also be causes of turbidity. When the water becomes green, then it’s time to draw conclusions – this is an unnatural color. Muddy and green water is formed due to overcrowding of the aquarium with fish or plants. That is, the aquarium fluid passes through the filter, but is not cleaned. The abundance of metabolic products provokes the formation of putrefactive microorganisms, ciliates and other unicellular. If ciliates are beneficial, the bacteria can harm the plants – they will start to rot. In order not to be surprised why fish and plants often get sick – watch the aquarium clean and tidy.
- Why still breed single-celled? Because you do not have time to clean the tank after heavy feeding. For aquarism it is better to underfeed than to feed. This rule will protect the fish from problems. After overfeeding again the water got cloudy – what to do? Arrange a pet unloading diet for a couple of days, the bacteria will die out, the water biobalance will be restored.
- Incorrectly installed decoration. Snags, plastic materials of poor quality dissolve in water, forming a muddy shade. If the scenery is new wooden, but untreated – they can be boiled or infused in salt solution. Plastic snags should be replaced with new ones.
- In the old, stagnant nursery with fish, sediment is formed due to “whiteness after fish treatment”, this is when drugs and purification chemistry for aquarium glass were used in the pond. Such substances have a number of side effects, they disrupt the biological equilibrium, neutralizing the favorable microflora.
Now we know the reasons why the water grows cloudy in the aquarium, and what to do in each case. However, there are general rules, without which it is impossible to completely eliminate the problem.
- Siphonte the ground in the aquarium. Open the filter, rinse and clean. Then add activated carbon to it – this needs to be done to absorb harmful substances. It is forbidden to make a complete replacement of water and washing the aquarium soil, otherwise the beneficial bacteria will die out and will not be able to process rot and algae.
See how to siphon the soil in the aquarium.
- In some cases, it is necessary to do an intensive aeration of the aquarium – when there are a lot of fish feed residues and a fasting day is not enough. Oxygen will quickly remove excess organic matter.
- If an unpleasant smell disappears in an aquarium, it means that the struggle with mist is over successfully. Also for elimination of bacterial turbidity it is possible to use elodeya, having landed it superficially in a ground.