maintenance, care, compatibility
One of the most frequent questions asked by all aquarium lovers is why does the water in the aquarium turn green even when it is regularly replaced? Despite the fact that the green water does not bring tangible harm to the inhabitants, the aesthetic appearance of the aquarium nevertheless deteriorates. Such water will be dangerous for those fish that run into it from a clean, fresh pond.
To choose the most effective method of dealing with euglene, which causes the flowering of aquarium water, it is necessary to establish the exact causes of this phenomenon.
Causes of aquarium blooming and problem solving methods
So, before you fix the problem, you need to figure out why the aquarium is blooming? First, it should be understood that all biological processes in an aquarium are very closely related: microorganisms, which develop in water in one way or another, contribute to stable biological equilibrium, they process the remains of feed and natural excretions of aquarium fish, thereby preventing the process of rotting in the soil .
When biological balance is in good shape, the aquarium can remain clean for a long time.
However, everything is not so simple and requires periodic intervention of human hands. Over time, a rather impressive amount of fish waste products accumulates in the ground and the process of decay begins, which, in turn, increases the acid balance of water.
In an aquarium, a favorable environment is formed for the rapid growth of filamentous algae, which spread over all surfaces inside the vessel.
If you are inactive in this situation, then soon the whole aquarium will be covered with a green coating, and the water will become greenish due to an excessive number of microorganisms in it. All this is the flowering of water. In nature, this is typical of swamps and bodies of water with stagnant water.
Such a problem can occur at any time of the year, but is most likely in the summer when exposed to direct sunlight.
Speaking about the duration of the flowering aquarium, it should be understood that this process will continue until favorable conditions for it are violated. In addition to increased contamination of the aquarium soil, which subsequently violates the acidic balance of water, excess lighting from the lamp or direct sunlight also causes the aquarium to bloom.
It is also worth noting that the process of flowering of water will not continue forever and if not enough attention is given, in the end, the aquarium will die.
Why is the water in the aquarium green? The reason is as follows: when blue-green algae reproduce, or euglena, to wait for the landscaping of the water. You should know that these algae are single-celled and they float on the surface of the water in the form of an invisible film.
Euglena is an important part of the food chain of the underwater world, and under the necessary conditions (reduction of nutrients, carbon dioxide and oxygen, a wide range of temperature conditions), it is rapidly multiplying. It is not so easy to get rid of the flowering of water, given its sudden flashes.
With strong light (green algae love it), with frequent renewal of water using chemicals, the biological filtration system of aquarium water gets lost, as a result of which euglena multiplies and grows.
How green algae appear in water – additional reasons
Blue-green algae like long-lasting lighting, more than 10-12 hours a day. This is another reason why the reservoir blooms.
When you start a new aquarium, you should light it gradually, starting from 4 hours a day, increasing the number of daylight hours to 10 hours. Also, do not forget that with an excess of fertilizers for plants, the amount of phosphorus decreases.
Plants grow poorly, and the water begins to turn green. That is why it is necessary to eliminate all the errors that are allowed during the maintenance of the aquarium:
- When starting the aquarium, the illumination is set up incorrectly, a large number of plants are planted;
Watch the video story about aquarium lighting.
- Frequent tank maintenance (water renewal, cleaning, aeration);
- Enhanced feeding of fish;
- High water temperature in the tank;
- Reverse cases – a rare care for the aquarium – not enough aeration, fresh water, no compressor.
Why is water blooming not a sentence? If you know the main thing that “greens” causes ammonia released by algae, everything will quickly fall into place. New, recently launched aquariums are sometimes not serviced correctly, which causes an incorrect nitrogen cycle.
The first outbreak of euglena can lead to the fact that it will be difficult to get rid of it forever. To regulate the nitrogen cycle when starting the aquarium, turn on the light for only a couple of hours for 30 days, use “old” water from the old aquarium and the used filter cartridge.
This normalizes the nitrogen cycle.
There are more ways to get rid of algae. What to do:
- Use an ultraviolet sterilizer to help neutralize euglen. Once turned on, it will destroy algae cells with ultraviolet light.
See how to choose the right UV sterilizer.
- Install a diatom filter – an effective way when dealing with green algae.
- Turn off the light in time. This method controls the appearance of “green” water, and will save time and money on additional equipment. Cover the aquarium on time. Feed the fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium for 7 hours of daylight. Healthy plants can live in water for about a week without using light. After the procedure, you can change 30% of the water to fresh.
- The use of coagulants – small particles in a mechanical filter that removes flowering from a water tank.
- Destroys the blue-green algae granular activated carbon added to the filter. In the process of “treatment” the filter can be cleaned 1-2 times a week.
- The use of micro cartridges also blocks outbreaks of flowering.
- In certain cases, combine these methods while simultaneously applying filters and ultraviolet (as an example).
The disturbed biological balance of the aquatic environment quickly deteriorates the health of living beings living in it. There are good recommendations that are suitable for aquariums with small fish, where the water is green, and the plants are not planted deep in the ground. To prevent the fish from getting sick, the following procedures should be performed:
- send pets to other aquariums or tanks with clean water and similar composition of water; make sure the fish do not get sick;
- transplant plants into other containers, adding methylene blue to them – the dose can be found on the package;
- clean the aquarium from the old soil, and buy a new one, treat it from parasites;
- dispose of green water (pour it into drains);
- empty container should be washed, filled with new water, adding to it 1-2 teaspoons of soda, which will create alkali;
- leave the aquarium with soda for 24 hours;
- re-boil the aquarium snags, the grottoes and artificial decorations can be transplanted into the aquarium with soda, after treatment, rinse everything in running water;
- After the procedure, you can start the aquarium again.
Why is the water green in the aquarium and how to deal with it?
Self-purification of water in natural aquatic ecosystems occurs due to physicochemical and biological processes involving hydrobionts: living organisms and plants. The condition of the aquarium water depends on the organization of the system (maintenance mode, power and type of filter, the presence of living plants, drifts, the number of fish and food).
The color of water can change under the influence of various factors. Thus, the low content of oxygen in it, which is consumed for the oxidation of organic matter, leads to an increase in the concentration of decomposition products. The water becomes cloudy, gets the smell of hydrogen sulfide.
But there are cases when it becomes green. So why is the water green in the aquarium?
The reason for its turbidity is the mass reproduction of bacteria, and the water turns green usually from green microscopic euglenic algae that multiply in an aquarium. Euglena is normally always present in the aquarium, but during its reproduction, water “blooms”, which can be painted in yellow-green, green colors. More often it is observed in aquariums with excessive brightness of the light source.
Often, fans of ornamental fish, acquiring aquariums for the home, place them in the most convenient and cost-effective place – near the windows. Direct intense sunlight contributes to the active reproduction in water of green algae, which cover the glass aquarium, decorations, plants. Strong artificial lighting also contributes to the reproduction of euglena.
It can be brought into the aquarium and with live food for fish from natural waters.
The first actions that are taken by novice aquarists are a complete replacement of water, cleaning plants, decorations. Similar, logical at first glance, events only aggravate the situation, causing bewilderment and the question of why the water is green in the aquarium, despite all efforts.
Changing water does not improve the situation. It is necessary to eliminate the causes of its “flowering” – turn off the light for a few days, shade the aquarium, located near the window.
After this, the regular change of water and cleaning of the soil will allow to correct the situation, since light and nutrients only stimulate the growth of green algae. Keep the aquarium clean at all times.
You should know that the process of water self-purification will accelerate with the addition of “old” water (1/3 of the total) to the aquarium, pre-stored, rich in humic acid and a set of microorganisms that help restore a healthy environment. You should know that it is harvested from a prosperous aquarium, not overcrowded with fish, with well-growing plants.
In order not to wonder about why the water is green in the aquarium, you can run daphnias into it. In this case, it is better to seed the fish so that they do not destroy the crustaceans.
You can also purify water with the help of special preparations acquired in pet stores. Algae die off when a solution of rivanol, trypaflavin, penicillin, streptomycin is added to the aquarium.
Special diatomaceous filters and UV sterilizers help to eliminate the “blooming” of water.
In order to no longer wonder why water is turning green in an aquarium, it is necessary to achieve the necessary biological balance for its aquarium inhabitants. To support it, you need to adjust the lighting: apply curtains, screens, change the power of the lamps.
Remember that it is important where the aquariums are installed. The fish will feel great with proper lighting, proper feeding, aeration and filtering.
It is useful to acquire new inhabitants of the underwater world who eat algae. These are pteregoplichts, antsitrusy, which remove plaque from glasses, mollies, Siamese seaweeds, Japanese shrimps, snails, ampouleries.
The cause of the turbidity of the water is considered “euglena”, known as free-floating alga. It is an integral part of the food chain and quickly adapts to environmental conditions.
The national name “green water” exactly describes the appearance of the vessel, in which such alga is present. Most often, aquarium owners are faced with a problem eugle some weeks after launch.
But why does the water turn green in the aquarium and the algae reproduction begins? There are several reasons:
- Wrong lighting. Excessive light triggers the growth of small algae. If the lighting in the aquarium works for more than 10 hours, then this can be considered favorable conditions for the development of euglena. Starting the aquarium lighting should be turned on for 4 hours, adding a couple of hours in 3 days.
- Excess ammonia. That it is often available in new aquariums and with large-scale changes of fluid. Watch out for the composition of the water you are adding and this problem can be avoided.
- Improper feeding. Overfeeding the fish can cause water bloom. Excess food, not eaten by fish, will settle at the bottom and will be the main reason why the stones are green in the aquarium.