maintenance, care, compatibility
- Chemical components can form an oily layer on the surface of the water. Sometimes he shimmers with rainbow colors. If you used drugs with chemistry, put untreated decorations to the bottom of the tank, all the paint could slip away and go up. If you made a repair or decoration in an aquarium using nitro-painting, linseed oil, or oil-based paints, they will not be able to completely dissolve.
- An oily layer can also form due to improper use of heating devices, or a radiator that stands near the tank, emitting harmful fumes.
- Organic film on the water has a pale gray color, and it appears due to decomposition of the remains of fish food, their waste products, and the rotting of plants. The organic layer is formed by the bacteria saprophytes, which feed on organic matter.
- Blue-green algae. They appear due to the rapid reproduction of cyanobacteria, which are very fond of bright light and stagnant water.
- The film on the surface of the water can be formed by acidification of the soil in the aquarium. The smallest particles of the substrate and carbon dioxide can react, leading to the acidification of the colloidal soil layer. The CO2 bubbles carry rotten soil with them, lifting it to the surface.
Watch a video about one of the possible causes of the film on the water.
How to understand the composition of the film in the aquarium? Pay attention to all components of the tank, check the parameters of water, the concentration of nitrites in it, nitrates, ammonia, carbon dioxide and oxygen. Sometimes one kind of film goes into another.
Depending on the type of layer, it is removed by special means and methods of cleaning.
How to get rid of the formation of film in the home tank with fish
Owners of aquariums often notice some unpleasant moments concerning such “water houses”. As you know, in order for small fish, snails and other living creatures not to suffer from various diseases and live as long as possible, it is necessary to provide them with full-fledged conditions. The film on the surface of the water – not uncommon.
Many owners of aquariums can not understand why it was formed and what it means. Well, and accordingly, the most important question: what is the risk of such a phenomenon?
The film found on the water often causes the owners of aquariums to suffer with questions: what is it and how can it harm the fish? In fact, such a phenomenon is most often the result of improper care of the aquarium. The main reasons for the appearance of films on water:
- pollution of aquariums;
- ingress of foreign particles into the water;
- the presence of rotting products in an aquarium;
- reproduction of bacteria.
Accordingly, any negative processes related to aquarium water are accompanied by the presence of a large number of pathogens. If the presence of a film is detected in an aquarium, this always involves the reproduction of bacteria.
They are known to have negative properties and can very seriously harm floating fish and snails, which are very sensitive to bacteria.
In order to avoid troubles associated with the pollution of aquarium waters, you should constantly monitor the cleanliness in the aquarium. It is necessary to regularly clean the water in large tanks, and in small ones to replace it with fresh water. This will prevent such troubles and will be able to prevent diseases of the fish.
It is important to properly clean the water and ensure that it does not appear any traces of reproduction of microorganisms that can harm animals and fish living in aquariums.
As you know, any trouble is easier to prevent than to try to get rid of it. At the same time, the appearance of such a problem does not mean hopelessness.
If, nevertheless, aquariums are distinguished by the presence of unfavorable films, you should immediately begin to act, until the pathogens have spread at a furious rate throughout the aquarium element.
Since the aquarium films have a bacterial nature, it should fight with bacteria. It is necessary to create conditions under which infections can not multiply and poison the fish.
The easiest way to solve this problem: use a napkin, dry. It should be placed on the surface of the aquarium water, be sure to respect the accuracy.
Then it will also need to be carefully removed. In this case, all the bacteria along with the film will be on a napkin, and the water will be cleared of such rubbish. But a single use of a napkin will not be enough.
Dry wipes should be applied no less than four times. This is the only way to purify water.
After the film surface on the water is removed, a siphon must be used. It will clear the bottom of all bacterial debris and allow the waters to actually become clean.
Replacement of water is also necessary. If it is a large aquarium in which not less than seventy liters of water, in this case it is necessary to replace about twenty-five percent of the entire body of water.
After the water spaces are cleared, it will be possible to proceed to the next stage of the struggle – to use the aerator and filter. This will help to fully cope with the existing problem and there will be no trace of it. But so that in the future a film does not appear on the water surface, it is advisable to observe the following rules:
- unfinished fish feed must be extracted without preventing their decomposition;
- it is better to feed the fish of the dry type infrequently, as they contain substances that provoke the appearance of films;
- Before you put your hand in the aquarium, you need to wash it thoroughly with soap and water;
- in order to avoid dusting of the water space, it is necessary to cover the aquarium with a lid;
- the water that will be used to replace the old one must be separated (up to three days).
This way you can track the occurrence of blockages in the aquarium. And it is extremely important to do everything necessary to prevent the development and reproduction of pathogenic microbes.
Since they are very harmful to the health of small fish and snails, they must be immediately eliminated if they are found.
To make the water in the aquarium crystal clear, as in a public or store pond for fish, you must achieve a certain level of transparency in various ways. Very clean, almost blue water is a liquid without turbidity, dirt and harmful impurities. In such an environment, any decorative pet will feel safe, demonstrating health and beautiful appearance.
New aquarium, or old – it does not matter, it is better to wash it thoroughly and clean the water. There are conditions, the maintenance of which will make the aquarium water crystal clear.
Many novice aquarists make a mistake when, after the first days of launching the reservoir, they begin to worry about the formation of mud and foam in it. It appeared bacteria that got into the aquatic environment from the air. Then the owners of the aquarium begin to change the water and do other procedures with it.
It is better to wait 5-6 days, and the clouding will disappear. Otherwise, there really is something wrong with water.
Having been patient and waiting for 6 days, you will find clear and slightly yellowish water in the reservoir, which in professional circles is called “residential”: infusoria and organic substances appeared in it, but there are almost no bacteria, neutralized ciliates.
Such water is a guarantee of health in an aquarium; it can be completely not changed for several years. If this water is renewed by more than half, bacteria will appear in it, causing turbidity.
Known so-called “live” and “inanimate” filters that help clean the water from pollution and bring it into a beautiful view. For aquariums install mechanical filters with a cassette and a sponge. However, once in the store where the fish are sold, you noticed that they swim in an ordinary tank, where there is no filter.
It turns out that it is possible to maintain perfect purity without mechanical devices, sometimes their constant use brings harm. If there is no such filter in the aquarium, it means that it has a biological filter.
Biological, that is, living filter – these are plants that are planted in a lighted place. Infusoria and microwells that feed on bacteria are well developed in them.
Thickets also keep dirt and turbidity in the aquarium with their stems and leaves.
Excellent “filters” are bottom fish (catfish) and snails that eat carrion. Based on the observations, the cochlea is able to make the water absolutely clean in a matter of days. This is probably the most affordable “filter” for a tank of water.
Just be careful – some species of fish and amphibians are not averse to eat it.
One more representatives of the underwater world who are able to clean the environment in an aquarium are clam clams. Pea and sharovka love warm water, and toothless and perlovitsa – cold.
Unfortunately, like snails, these mollusks can be eaten, so before putting them into the tank for “cleaning”, it is better to evict the rest of the pets from it. Also, the larvae of toothless and perlovitsy parasitize on fish.
Most likely, after cleaning the reservoir, you will have to quarantine the aquarium.
Spur frog – vertebrate amphibian, which will bring the aquarium to transparency. She can constantly live in the nursery with small fish, in parallel helping the water to be updated. The frog always lives in the water, but if it brings fry – and there are a lot of them, the aquarium jungle will not rest.
Carefully monitor the parameters of the water in the aquarium: regularly update the water, plant the correct plants, settle the “orderlies” into it, then it will get a wonderful appearance and a healthy balance.
Black scurf on plants can appear as a result of infection with the so-called “black beard”. This is a dark brown alga, which covers the leaf plates of plants, soil, glass and decorations.
Thin threads of dark shade on plants does not look aesthetically pleasing. Blackbeard can damage the plant, causing it to fade quickly.
The alga is rapidly spreading, and it is hard to fight it. Some chemical means and dimming of the light can give a partial result, but do not eliminate the root of the problem.
For the destruction of the beard need to include comprehensive measures. The first thing to do is regularly update the water, from 10 to 25% of the total volume of the aquarium.
There should be no nitrates and phosphates in the water; make measurements with indicators before pouring into the aquarium.
The second procedure, which will help to eliminate black scurf in the aquarium, is to clean the soil from the remnants of food, to clean the dead leaves of plants. Next, you should increase the power of lighting up to 1 W per liter of water, turn on the light for 12 hours.
Additional help will be provided by some species of snails and fish that can clean the aquarium from algae and their livelihoods.
It is important to control the proportions of the feed: if you give the fish more food, then the non-eaten remains will dissolve, the level of ammonia in the water will increase. You can plant in the ground fast-growing plant species that absorb nutrients well. The first sign that the alga dies off – changing its color to faded.
Over time, the affected beard will disappear.
The universal remedy for aquarium black beard is on sale – it is JBL Algol. It in a few days will destroy fouling that formed on the surfaces.
To make the drug in the tank according to the instructions.
It is considered to be completely impossible to remove from the aquarium a dark bloom in the form of a black beard, but there are a number of additional measures that will help reduce its growth. The main thing is not to settle a lot of fish in a close tank. To oppress the beard, you can use the supply of CO2 (carbon dioxide).
In order to avoid infection by this pest, when buying a plant, carefully inspect its stalks and leaves. The slightest swaying of black beard hairs and brushes when moving or submerging in water indicates that it is impossible to buy a plant.
If conservative methods of dealing with black bloom do not help, then serious measures should be taken:
- Transfer the fish to another, previously prepared aquarium.
- Pull out all the plants along with the ground.
- Rinse the soil thoroughly under water, then boil it or calcined in an oven at 300 degrees Celsius.
- The aquarium walls should be washed and wiped with cotton wool dipped in potassium permanganate solution, then washed several times with glass.
- Start the aquarium again, having examined all the plants. Affected areas of the plant can be removed. Or take their uninfected shoots, re-plant in a separate container and grow.
- It is better to plant new and healthy plants in the newly launched aquarium.
See how to get rid of black beard.
There are so-called “biological” ways of dealing with harmful algae.
- Reduce the number of fish in the tank, you can distribute them to different aquariums.
- Turn off filtration and aeration. After that, the remaining organic matter in the water gets on the black beard tassels.
- If snails live in the aquarium, they should be removed immediately. The fact is that on their shells a beard feels fine. Reinfestation of the aquarium may occur. You need to take melang from the aquarium at night, when the snails crawl and sit on the aquarium walls.
- Temporarily do not feed fish with dry feed. During the fight against parasitic alga, do not give your pets even branded feed in the form of flakes or tablets. It is advisable at this time to feed them with live, washed food (bloodworms, pipeworm, pipe worker), or frozen daphnia. Portions should be such that the fish eat them in 3-5 minutes.