maintenance, care, compatibility
Having a home aquarium is very useful. According to psychologists, watching the fish, a person calms down, relaxes.
Yes, and the kind of colorful, beautiful fish, quickly moving around the aquarium, always happy!
Today, the pet market is quite diverse. Therefore, beginner fish breeders most often acquire a ready-made aquarium.
But aquarists with experience, as a rule, prefer to do them on their own. After all, this is the way to achieve the desired size and volume.
Self-bonding aquarium involves the correct choice of adhesive. Silicone must be present in its composition.
When choosing, you should carefully examine the packaging. Glue for the aquarium should be designed specifically for this product.
Its composition should not include antibacterial substances that are detrimental to fish and plants.
Aquarium glass adhesive can be of several colors:
- black (looks great in large aquariums).
For those who glue the product for the first time, it is better to choose a transparent glue for aquariums (waterproof). For ease of use it is recommended to purchase a special gun that helps squeeze the tool.
Silicone sealants are considered the most universal remedy. Their advantages:
- long service life;
- the tool provides reliable adhesion to any surface;
- silicone is easy to use;
- does not emit harmful substances.
In addition, the glue for the aquarium freezes quite quickly, in just 20 minutes, and after a day the polymerization is finally completed. The seams are very strong. At the same time, silicone retains its elasticity.
Before starting to use a sealant, make sure that the surfaces to be treated are clean, dry and degreased.
In addition to silicone, you can use epoxides. However, they are more fluid, harden for a long time and require more thorough cleaning of the surface.
Convenient to use cold welding. This remedy is chemically inert, seizes in a few minutes.
Cyacrines are also good, only when gluing the aquarium between the parts should be small gaps.
If you can not find aquarium sealant, you can purchase a tool that is intended for plumbing or dishes. Only in its composition should not be antifungal additives.
What is a silicone sealant?
What kind of silicone is needed for an aquarium:
- When choosing a suitable option, you should avoid buying universal tools. Sealants of this category mainly contain antifungal components. As a result, such a silicone for an aquarium will harm the inhabitants of an artificial reservoir due to its high toxicity.
- Quite often on the shelves of retail outlets you can find fake silicone products. To avoid the acquisition of low-quality goods, it is recommended to pay attention to the availability of quality certificates that confirm the true origin of the products offered.
- Before giving preference to a particular option, it is worthwhile to carefully study the information on the packaging. Good silicone for an aquarium is able to retain its properties during operation in a temperature range from 200 to -70 ° C. If other parameters are indicated on the sealant tube, it is worth refusing to purchase such a product.
- One of the best, proven options is Den Braven, a silicone for an aquarium that has a transparent structure. If the seller declares that the means of black or any other shade is better, do not believe this statement. After all, the components that give color to silicone only worsen its physical properties.
- Going for a purchase, you should first ask how much the aquarium sealant is worth. If the price of the product of the desired brand in the store is a few positions lower, it is worth the alert. Discounts and promotional offers in this case are not taken into account.
- If a fake was detected directly in the process, it is recommended to remove the applied layer. In the future, this will not completely re-glue the aquarium when choosing a more reliable means.
Silicone sealants are most often used by experienced craftsmen when self-gluing tanks for fish, plastic and glass terrariums. Such products are completely non-toxic. The interaction with such substances does not require the use of protective clothing, gloves, respirators, etc.
Silicone for the aquarium does not emit harmful fumes, does not emit toxic components, even with prolonged interaction with water.
If we talk about adhesive bases for a reliable connection of the elements of the containers, here you should also give preference to silicone bases. Such agents are frozen for several minutes. For the final polymerization in most cases enough days.
Seams treated with silicone glue are extremely durable. To destroy them, it is necessary to apply an effort exceeding several hundred kilograms.
At the same time the stiffened means keeps the increased elasticity. Thus, the compounds are less prone to cracks and fractures.
If it is necessary to assemble an aquarium with one’s own hands, the choice of a suitable glass should be the primary task. Preference should be given to silicate bases of the highest quality.
It is desirable that the glass was polished. Only in this case will not have to additionally prepare the surface for the connection.
There are several ways to build aquariums:
- Side vertical walls are placed on the bottom. This method is not very popular, because in this case it is difficult to avoid smearing the sealant on the surfaces. Difficulties may arise with maintaining a uniform thickness of the seam around the perimeter.
- The second method is gluing the walls around the bottom of the aquarium. With this method, the finished structure is more resistant to increased water pressure.
If you have no desire to spend money on a ready-made aquarium, it may well stick it together. The main thing is that it does not leak, and for this you need to stock up with a good silicone sealant for the aquarium.
The advantages of silicone adhesive sealant for the aquarium
Silicone sealants are most versatile for gluing and are used in everyday life not only for aquariums. They are elastic, have good adhesion with different surfaces, serve for a long time.
And if the question arises about choosing the best material for gluing the aquarium, no doubt, you need to choose a special silicone sealant.
It is absolutely non-toxic, which is important for fish and for the owners of the aquarium. Working with him is a real pleasure, especially since the silicone sealant for the aquarium dries rather quickly, if you ask – how much, the answer will be: just 20 minutes.
At the same time, due to its elasticity, the seams are heavy-duty, capable of withstanding a load of 200 kg.
At first, the stitches may smell of vinegar, therefore it is recommended to drain the water, keeping it in the aquarium for a few days in advance and then pouring water along with the inhabitants.
First of all, we are interested in sealant for glass works. Neutral one-component material is ideal for obtaining elastic and elastic seam, which is necessary in the manufacture of an aquarium.
Sanitary silicone sealants are also suitable for gluing an aquarium, as well as for general construction and repair work. However, you should not be seduced by such universal sealants, since they can be toxic to aquatic creatures.
Good reviews on the Internet received a high-temperature silicone sealant, but it is not necessary to use it for an aquarium. It is rather specific and is intended rather for sealing compounds that require resistance to high (up to + 150 ° C) temperature.
How to choose sealant for an aquarium :: Equipment and accessories
Special sealant is simply an indispensable thing for aquarium owners. Such an adhesive-based agent helps prevent cracks and depressurization of the seams of the aquarium.
What are the criteria to choose sealant for the aquarium?
Sealant for an aquarium is a tool that is used to prevent leaks and cracks at the joints and corners of the aquarium. Adhesive sealant is completely safe and effective.
Just choose it by certain criteria.
So, the sealant for the aquarium should be elastic even after drying and retain its properties under the influence of sunlight. Well, if the sealant for the aquarium will provide maximum adhesion to the surface.
This will make the design more reliable. And of course, it should be easily applied so that the process for processing the aquarium does not take a long time. When choosing a must pay attention to the composition of the adhesive-sealant.
It should not contain toxic components that can adversely affect the fish.
As for the cost, it will not work out. It is better to purchase more expensive material that meets all the above requirements.
Also, when buying, you need to carefully look at the shelf life of the sealant, because this product eventually loses its inherent properties.
Currently, there are three groups of sealants on the market – acrylic, polyurethane and silicone. Acrylic products are generally not recommended for use in aquariums, as they are not sufficiently elastic.
But they can be used for sealing external seams in terrariums.
Polyurethane sealant for aquariums can only be used by inexperienced fish breeders. The composition of such funds contains many harmful substances that can harm not only the fauna, but also the flora of the home water body.
Perhaps the best option would be a silicone-based sealant. It can be used for gluing and restoration, as well as sealing aquarium joints. Silicone sealant is characterized by high elasticity and resistance to external influences.
By the way for aquarium purposes it is recommended to use only a transparent sealing agent. Even a white sealant is not suitable, as it contains a dye that can adversely affect the health of aquarium fish.
Silicone sealant can be applied not only in case of leakage, but also for prevention.
In our time, the pet market is very diverse. Therefore, novice fish breeders, as a rule, acquire a ready-made aquarium. But enthusiastic aquarists with experience prefer to glue them on their own.
After all, this is the way to achieve the desired size and volume.
1. In order to glue the aquarium yourself, you must first prepare materials. It is better to order glasses for it, since the machine cuts them in the workshop and the cutting accuracy will be higher. Glasses should be 8–10 mm thick, since thinner ones may not be strong enough and cannot withstand water pressure.
When ordering, specify that you need glasses for the aquarium, so there is a greater likelihood that the masters will not allow the error.
2. Once you have received the glass, process their edges. To do this, carefully drive along the edge under a stream of water with a grinding block.
At the same time, the edges themselves need not be processed, since the sealant with which you will glue the product seizes smooth surfaces better. Edging is necessary so that in the future you will not get hurt when installing and washing the aquarium.
3. As soon as you have finished the edges, wash the glass from dust and wipe with a cloth moistened with acetone to degrease the surfaces to be glued. At the edges of the glass with an indentation of 3-4 mm it is necessary to glue the masking tape or duct tape so that the seam from the sealant is even and neat.
4. Next, you need to take the side and rear surface of the future aquarium. They should be placed at right angles. It is better if you secure the structure with adhesive tape.
Then carefully apply the sealant in the angle that forms between the surfaces of the glass. Excess sealant can be removed using a rubber spatula.
5. Similarly, you need to collect the remaining glass. The second side glass is glued to the back surface, then the outer one, and then the whole structure is placed on the bottom. The main thing is do not rush.
On the glue you can take a few days. Carefully ensure that the sealant lies flat and dry thoroughly.
6. As soon as the aquarium is ready, you need to stick stiffeners. For small aquariums, they are glued arbitrarily, and for products over 50 liters in volume – along long walls.
This helps reduce the water pressure on the glass.