maintenance, care, compatibility
Why does water foaming and bubbling in new aquariums
When you first launched a new aquarium, it begins a new cycle, so the biological components of the filter are ready to eliminate fish waste. Clear or “milky” water may be the result of such a process, but usually it appears at the end of this cycle.
If the fish tank is only a few weeks old, or it only works for a couple of days, the water can also foam and bubble.
Bubbles are formed both on the surface of the water and in the middle layers. It can bubble when the aquarium is just started, and ammonia, nitrates have not eroded from the water, or during the first aeration of water.
Unfortunately, the only way to remove bubbles on the surface is to be patient. When the cycle is completed, the foaminess will disappear by itself, the water will again become crystal clear.
Otherwise, additional measures will have to be taken.
See how to clean the aquarium filter.
If there is no fish in the aquarium, but water foams on the surface
- If the tank is new and the fish have not been settled in it (the new cycle has not started), then white or gray foam may arise due to the presence of untreated snags or other decorations in it that should be washed with cool running water before introducing it into the aquarium.
- When installing an unwashed filter, its contaminated mechanical elements may trash debris causing foam. Filter is recommended to disassemble, wash.
- It is possible that some object that is used as decoration in the aquarium, dissolved in water, or otherwise it is not safe for the aquarium. It can produce any foam color, although gray or milky white is the most common. The item must be removed, it is also recommended to change the water.
- Buy aquarium decorations in proven pet stores. Carefully check the rocks, grottoes, caves and coconuts before installing in the tank. If, after treatment with running water, they change shape, melt, become soft – this is a bad signal. It means that there are weak spots in them, it is better not to place them in the water.
- Make sure that the decorations are not painted, that the paint does not peel off, or discolor. If there is salted water in the aquarium, or it is reefy (for African cichlids), it is recommended to remove coral skeletons or seashells from it, which can increase the level of pH and water hardness. After removing the harmful elements, the frothy water should go off, the water parameters will return to normal. Additional pond filtration will also help.
Watch a video on how to care for an aquarium.
To make the water in the aquarium crystal clear, as in a public or store pond for fish, you must achieve a certain level of transparency in various ways. Very clean, almost blue water is a liquid without turbidity, dirt and harmful impurities.
In such an environment, any decorative pet will feel safe, demonstrating health and beautiful appearance. New aquarium, or old – it does not matter, it is better to wash it thoroughly and clean the water.
There are conditions, the maintenance of which will make the aquarium water crystal clear.
Many novice aquarists make a mistake when, after the first days of launching the reservoir, they begin to worry about the formation of mud and foam in it. It appeared bacteria that got into the aquatic environment from the air. Then the owners of the aquarium begin to change the water and do other procedures with it.
It is better to wait 5-6 days, and the clouding will disappear. Otherwise, there really is something wrong with water.
Having been patient and waiting for 6 days, you will find clear and slightly yellowish water in the reservoir, which in professional circles is called “residential”: infusoria and organic substances appeared in it, but there are almost no bacteria, neutralized ciliates.
Such water is a guarantee of health in an aquarium; it can be completely not changed for several years. If this water is renewed by more than half, bacteria will appear in it, causing turbidity.
Known so-called “live” and “inanimate” filters that help clean the water from pollution and bring it into a beautiful view. For aquariums install mechanical filters with a cassette and a sponge.
However, once in the store where the fish are sold, you noticed that they swim in an ordinary tank, where there is no filter. It turns out that it is possible to maintain perfect purity without mechanical devices, sometimes their constant use brings harm.
If there is no such filter in the aquarium, it means that it has a biological filter.
Biological, that is, living filter – these are plants that are planted in a lighted place. Infusoria and microwells that feed on bacteria are well developed in them.
Thickets also keep dirt and turbidity in the aquarium with their stems and leaves.
Excellent “filters” are bottom fish (catfish) and snails that eat carrion. Based on the observations, the cochlea is able to make the water absolutely clean in a matter of days.
This is probably the most affordable “filter” for a tank of water. Just be careful – some species of fish and amphibians are not averse to eat it.
One more representatives of the underwater world who are able to clean the environment in an aquarium are clam clams. Pea and sharovka love warm water, and toothless and perlovitsa – cold. Unfortunately, like snails, these mollusks can be eaten, so before putting them into the tank for “cleaning”, it is better to evict the rest of the pets from it.
Also, the larvae of toothless and perlovitsy parasitize on fish. Most likely, after cleaning the reservoir, you will have to quarantine the aquarium.
Spur frog – vertebrate amphibian, which will bring the aquarium to transparency. She can constantly live in the nursery with small fish, in parallel helping the water to be updated. The frog always lives in the water, but if it brings fry – and there are a lot of them, the aquarium jungle will not rest.
Carefully monitor the parameters of the water in the aquarium: regularly update the water, plant the correct plants, settle the “orderlies” into it, then it will get a wonderful appearance and a healthy balance.
With the help of an aquarium your home will be filled with beauty, comfort and warmth of exotic reservoirs. Aquarium is a great place to observe beautiful fish and calm meditation.
However, a damaged tank can ruin both your mood and the health of its inhabitants. Sometimes the water goes out and it stinks like a swamp.
Muddy water spoils the impression, and makes the nursery unfit for further use. The problem requires an immediate solution, which involves finding out the cause and its immediate elimination.
The main reasons why the water from the aquarium smells unpleasant, are indicated below:
- Irregular cleaning of the tank or poor cleaning (filtration);
- Improper aeration, due to which the water is not saturated with sufficient oxygen;
- Unsuitable aquarium plants;
- Nursery overpopulation – little water is allocated to one adult animal;
- Overfeeding fish, reptiles or amphibians;
- Feeding pets low-quality food;
- The sudden death of the inhabitants of the reservoir, the body goes dead and decomposes;
- The appearance of sludge in the soil and water.
In the aquarium, the liquid is rotting and the marsh stinks – how to clean the water?
Did you find out why the aquarium stinks, but you are not exactly sure what to do? Proper cleaning of the fish nursery is your main assistant!
When all the above tips have not led to the expected result, you will have to make a new plan to save the reservoir and its inhabitants. It consists in the correct cleaning of the container from harmful impurities and parasites, which are the main causes of an unpleasant smell. Before capital cleaning prepare such tools:
- at least 5-10 liter jars with infused water of appropriate parameters for the temporary settlement of fish;
- net, scraper and sponge;
- big bucket;
- special liquid to remove contamination from aquarium glass (available in stores);
- aquarium pump;
- pH adjuster.
Remove all animals from the nursery with a net by placing them in a jar of water. Disconnect the tank from the supply of current, light, turn off the filter and aerator. Rinse and clean the sponge.
Use a scraper and a sponge to clean the windows, removing plaque, algae and other droppings from them. Take the pump, lower one end into the bucket, the second into the tank with dirty water, then pump out from 20 to 50% of all the water, depending on when it was last changed.
Put gauze on the pump, and run it along the bottom of the ground, the air will make the bottom siphon. After cleaning, remove all decorations.
The scenery should be pulled out and processed, leaving them in a separate container with a little salted water (1 teaspoon per 20 liters) or scalding them with boiling water. If plaque forms on them, scrape it with an unnecessary toothbrush or gauze.
After processing, place the decorations on a clean cloth to dry, then reinstall in the aquarium.
Pour into the aquarium a new, clean water of the same parameters that fish and plants used to (temperature, pH, hardness). Infused water should be three days for chlorine to evaporate from it.
Polish the outer glass of the tank (liquid for aquarium glass), and then reconnect all the devices. After the procedure, gradually run the fish.
Cleaning can be done in a few hours, the main thing – to adhere to accuracy.
Experienced breeders strongly advise settling in the nursery of the “orderlies” of the reservoir – freshwater snails, speckled catfish, mollies, antsistrusov, girinoheyl, labo, Japanese pond shrimps. The fishes living in the lower layers do an excellent job with the uneaten food that fell to the bottom, the snails eat carrion, and the shrimps and other fish mentioned above do an excellent job with algae.
When settling, you should consider compatibility with each other, then your aquarium will resemble a natural biotope, with crystal clear water and beautiful living creatures.