maintenance, care, compatibility
Medic or pest: what you need to know about the cochlea
Snail coil – a frequent visitor to aquariums. Someone starts them intentionally, but more often these small aquarian mollusks appear randomly – small snails or their eggs can be brought along with the plants.
The coil seems to be a very ambiguous inhabitant of the aquarium and has a number of both positive and negative qualities.
Despite the fact that snails most often appear in an aquarium by chance, some aquarists consciously leave them, believing that the benefits of them outweigh the harm.
Indisputable decorative function of these snails. Coils – pretty cute aquarium decorations.
It is interesting to watch them, and their presence in the aquarium with fish creates a more natural look.
It happens that the coils, as well as other snails, are called the orderlies of the aquarium. This is partly true. Coil snails eat rotten algae leaves, without touching healthy ones.
They collect the remnants of fallen food, thereby saving the aquarium from debris. Also, the coils are able to remove the film from the surface of the water and clean the aquarium wall.
Snails are becoming an indicator of water pollution, prompting that it is time to start cleaning or reduce the amount of feed for fish. If the population of coils has grown noticeably – this is the signal.
Some aquarists breed coils in their aquariums as fish food. Many fishes enjoy eating mollusks with pleasure, and the fecundity of this species makes it easy to maintain abundance.
Despite the fact that the benefits of snails are quite large, many people prefer to get rid of mollusks, barely finding the intruder.
Coils are very prolific. They are hermaphroditic, and only a pair of snails is enough to get a whole flock of mollusks.
Rapid reproduction leads to an increase in the number of their waste products, which are harmful and pollute the aquarium.
If the snails do not have enough food, they will take over the aquarium plants. And not for rotten leaves, but for healthy ones.
Voracious coils quickly destroy the plant.
Snail-coil can cause fish disease. Often this happens when the snail is brought into the aquarium conditions from the local water body.
In this situation, the fish will have to be treated with special preparations that the snails most likely will not suffer.
In general, the overgrown flock of snails spoils the appearance of the aquarium, hanging in whole clusters on the walls and plants.
It has already been said above that snails are hermaphrodites, and their reproduction rate is very high. One or two snails can create the entire population.
At the same time, it is quite simple to control the number of snails, especially if the fish that eat mollusks live in the aquarium.
Caviar coil looks like a dense transparent film with dots inside. Usually it is deposited on the lower surface of the leaf of a plant, aquarium walls or stones. This film is very dense, which does not allow other inhabitants to damage or eat caviar.
After about 2-3 weeks, the coil roe pecks, and snail crumbs appear in the aquarium.
If a snail accidentally caught in an aquarium does not cause delight, it can be bred. There are several ways: some can only reduce the number, others – completely get rid of them.
- Subscription in the aquarium fish antsitrusov. They are excellent cleaners of glass and the surface of plants, and only they can clean off the teeth and caviar of the coil. Thus, reproduction and population growth will stop. To speed up the process, fish that feed on mollusks are also colonized in the aquarium. Macropods, tetraodons – they will gladly take on snails. But not everyone can share these fish. If the fish in the aquarium are incompatible with these species, they can suffer and die.
- There is also a species of shrimp, a macrobrachium that loves to taste snails, so it is often used to get rid of clams. But shrimp can threaten sluggish fish, so you need to be careful with it. Strangely enough, you can fight with coils with the help of another mollusk, the predatory snail Helena, which hunts all the small mollusks in the aquarium.
- Remove snails manually. To do this, the bait is placed in an aquarium: a leaf of lettuce or cabbage, scalded with boiling water, or a blackened banana peel. The coils will not be able to resist such a treat and will soon stick it over completely. The snail bait is gently removed from the aquarium. This scheme needs to be done several times.
- Chemical exposure. There are a number of drugs that can be purchased at the pet store. This method requires great care – some substances that make up the product can harm not only molluscs, but also other inhabitants of the aquarium. Usually, when using chemistry, fish are removed, but the established biobalance will in any case be disturbed.
- The most radical way is the total flushing of the entire aquarium: plants, containers, decorative elements, ground boiling. This method is very laborious and long, but it allows you to get rid of snails completely.
Snails – not the most common resident of the aquarium world. As you can see, they can be equally useful and extremely harmful.
But with careful attention and proper control of the coil will not be a problem for your aquarium.
Snail aquarium – useful and beautiful creatures that can be useful in the care of the tank. They are harmless, omnivorous, unpretentious in content. However, due to their nature, they multiply very quickly.
Experienced aquarists and newcomers are sometimes confused by the fact that there are so many snails. How to get rid of snails in an aquarium so that it does not disturb the biological equilibrium of the aquatic environment, and does not harm the fish and plants?
To control the population of aquarium coils, ampoules, neretins, melania, tilomeleaniya, fizy, mariza and other species, you need to apply measures according to their physiological characteristics. When you control the population of mollusks, the aquarium is not harmed. They do an excellent job with algae, mix the soil, do not allow it to rot.
In fizy and coils high reproduction rate, as a result of which the aquarium is very quickly populated. They do not give passage, clogging up all the scenery and arrangements.
Snails get into the aquarium, if you buy them, or bring them together with plants, snags. If you do not want to see such a cohabitation with fish, before planting in the tank of a new decoration or plant, treat them with Hydra-Tox solution. Rapid reproduction means that something is wrong with the bio-balance or water parameters.
In a balanced environment, these mollusks are absolutely harmless, they can even be useful.
Also, they become a lot because of the overfeeding of fish. Mollusks eat the remnants of food, and the more of it, the more it becomes this living creatures.
Waste accumulated in the ground encourages reproduction, so in time to siphon it and remove food debris.
- The chemical method – you buy in the pet store special drugs, because of which these animals die. Is it worth it to do? This method is best used as a last resort, as the rapid death of animals will disturb the aquatic ecosystem. Chemicals have side effects – a bacterial outbreak, diseases of fish and plants, changes in water parameters. Drugs can be toxic to all living things. Do not use drugs that are not intended to fight snails. Means to help remove snails: Tropical Hydra-Tox, ZMF Limnacid, Sera Snailpur, Sera snail-Ex, JBL Schnecktol, Aquacon against snails, Dajana Molucid.
- Set traps for mollusks – you can buy traps in the pet store, and do it yourself. Prepare a leaf of cabbage, scald it. Put the bottom of the aquarium on a plate. In the morning the cabbage leaf and the plate will be in snails, which are easy to clean. A regular procedure will reduce their population. If herbivorous fish do not allow cabbage to “live” until the morning, you can improve the way. Take a plastic bottle, make small holes in it, in which the fish will not fit, and the snails will easily crawl through them. Place scalded cabbage, lettuce leaves in a bottle, and flood it at the bottom of the tank. In the morning there will be a lot of these animals in the bottle.
See how to catch snails from the aquarium.
Fish – many fish love snails as a treat. However, well-fed fish will not eat mollusks. We’ll have to underfed the fish, or plant them on a fasting day.
Eat well snails tetradons, clown fights, macropods, gourami, catfish (eating their eggs).
Quite often, novice aquarists in the process of arranging an aquarium think about whether snails are needed in an aquarium. To address this issue, you need to know why they are allowed into the aquarium at all and what is the use of it.
These little inhabitants are able to bring both benefits and damage to your tank. Here, as in the case of drugs, it all depends on the dose.
Snails are natural orderlies. They eat all the remnants of food and dead plants.
In addition, the snails are used to clean the aquarium, they clean off the deposits from the walls and absorb the waste products of fish. There are some types of snails that you can safely use as indicators of the quality of water in an aquarium.
And small snails in the aquarium often serve as a decorative element.
But these creatures breed very quickly, so over time you will have to artificially regulate their population. If too many snails gather in the aquarium, this will lead to a lack of oxygen.
If there is a shortage of food, they will begin to eat the plants, and some species secrete mucus, which will lead to contamination of the aquarium.
To get rid of overgrown snails in several ways. It is enough to manually catch and remove unnecessary individuals. Experienced experts advise a simpler way.
At the bottom of the aquarium, place the saucer with the bait. When the snails gather in it, simply pull out the saucer from the aquarium.
In addition, the pet store will offer you special tools to deal with snails, which will greatly simplify the solution to the problem.
Under natural conditions, the snails eat algae and bacterial growths. In the aquarium snails can eat gray films on the glass, algae leaves.
Snails ampullary perfectly scraped from the glasses and plants all plaque. They can eat and young plants, but this happens very rarely and from lack of food.
As a rule, snails eat dead algae and this helps to maintain water quality at the right level. Ampullaria can eat almost anything that can grind and swallow. Here is the basic list of what snails eat in an aquarium: spinach, cucumbers, carrots, fish food.
Snails can also eat dead fish and their eggs. Food should be quite soft. You can offer them scalded meat or boiled lettuce.
Throw a few pieces of soaked white bread.
For the development and construction of the house snails need calcium. Make sure that the pH of the water does not fall below 7, if it is higher – this is only good. If the water in the aquarium is too soft, you should add crushed marble, limestone.
You can grind sea shells or buy specially designed preparations for this at the pet store. They increase the water hardness in the aquarium.
It happens that the snails in the aquarium appeared suddenly, when you absolutely did not plan to start them. A snail could get in with ground or plants. If you did not boil the soil before pouring it into the aquarium, then there might well have been a shell with a snail.
Often in the aquarium snails appear in the form of eggs on the leaves of algae.
There are only two reasons for the death of snails. Too soft water and lack of food lead to such sad consequences.
Periodically feed your pets with boiled cabbage or lettuce. This will not spoil the water, but will allow the snails to get enough of it.
Consider that an ampullary requires about 10 liters per specimen. Always carefully monitor the hardness of the water and then there will be no problems.